Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wall sit challenge? page 2

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    That's cool - it's good to have challenges. I'm definitely not opposed to isometric strength I just think there are more effective ways to build it. And, in my experience, isometric strength is best gained through increased loading rather than increased time.
    Gotcha. I guess one could do weighted wall sits, too, but I probably won't. It'd be nice if there were progressions as with other bodyweight exercises, but I can't think of anything other than one-legged sits. (or maybe smaller angles, but I have no idea if that's actually a good idea or not).

Anyway, thank you for the feedback

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    You could try holding a parallel squat for time - that would be way better!

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    Thanks for being weird and referencing an old post I made. I was never proud of my 25 minute plank, it was just something I did for shits and giggles. Quite how doing something once correlates with an endorsement of it I don't know.
    I didn't "look up" anything, the link to the plank thread was included in the original post of this thread. I read them both.

Either way, I probably came across too confrontational.

Quite often I see people in threads who could benefit from just standing up once a day. I believe there is some benefit to doing a wall sit challenge absolutely. For you, seeing how long you could plank was for "shits and giggles", sounds beneficial to me.

I realize that doing a wall sit isn't going to help your MMA clients much, and I agree, holding a parallel squat would be better, but if you take a sedentary couch potato off of his couch, and onto the wall for even a few minutes three times a day, you could be making a big difference to him or her.

Every journey has its first steps.

twa2w is offline Senior Member
    Wall sits - great for ski conditioning - yes better than squats in my experience if done right.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itchy166 View Post
    I didn't "look up" anything, the link to the plank thread was included in the original post of this thread. I read them both.

Either way, I probably came across too confrontational.

Quite often I see people in threads who could benefit from just standing up once a day. I believe there is some benefit to doing a wall sit challenge absolutely. For you, seeing how long you could plank was for "shits and giggles", sounds beneficial to me.

I realize that doing a wall sit isn't going to help your MMA clients much, and I agree, holding a parallel squat would be better, but if you take a sedentary couch potato off of his couch, and onto the wall for even a few minutes three times a day, you could be making a big difference to him or her.

Every journey has its first steps.
    You are so far off the mark. I work with everyone from paraplegics all the way to elite athletes so please don't suggest that my advice and opinion is only relevant to people that are already fit.

I completely agree that getting people off the couch is important, irrespective of their current fitness level. But taking them off the couch to get them doing a wall sit isn't a good first step. I just don't hold with the anything is better than nothing idea. My general opinion is that adding volume or time to workouts isn't a great way to approach it. Far better to take a movement pattern and progress it through variation or loading rather than adding more and more of it.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Regardless of what people say, wallsits have helped me develop a quad muscle (or tendon, unsure which it was, just that a part of my quad wasn't up to spec and now it's all developing evenly) that was lagging.
    Went from 45sec (agony) to 5min (ache eased off quickly) in four weeks and my legs seem better for it.
    Still going to build it up some more, as it's an easy thing to throw onto a leg day and it works pretty much the entire leg. Quads, glutes, hamstring (try doing a "sumo squat" wallsit and you'll see what I mean), upper and lower sections of calves, that bit on the front of your lower leg...
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12