Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Morning headaches page 2

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    If it could be positioning, I would recommend trying to sleep on your back without a pillow for a few nights. It might be difficult, so do whatever else you can to be comfortable (surround yourself with pillows and blankets, just don't put any under your head/neck). My chiropractor told me it's better not to use a pillow at all and I find that I sleep most comfortably like that.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

fatfran is offline Junior Member
    Great input here. All worth trying. I thought I'd add that I have to have proper neck support or I'd have a headache. I also wear those nose strips to help my breathing & I've seen a difference with them.

sarahelyse is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    If it could be positioning, I would recommend trying to sleep on your back without a pillow for a few nights. It might be difficult, so do whatever else you can to be comfortable (surround yourself with pillows and blankets, just don't put any under your head/neck). My chiropractor told me it's better not to use a pillow at all and I find that I sleep most comfortably like that.
    Its interesting that you say this because my physical therapist told me to sleep on my back because side sleeping pushes my spine out of alignment. I'm definitely going to try sleeping with less pillows tonight!

lala70 is offline Senior Member
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all of the input, some very good suggestions from everyone.I will give some a try and hopefully put an end to these annoying headaches .

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    What about if you had a really hard pillow and positioned your shoulders onto the pillow? Does that make the situation worse or better?

patski is offline Senior Member
    What kind of pillow do you have?

I've lost count as to how many times over the years I've woken up with a severe tension headache. They can last for days.

I finally bought myself a buckwheat pillow. OMFG I don't know what took me so long. Unbelievable difference!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    What about if you had a really hard pillow and positioned your shoulders onto the pillow? Does that make the situation worse or better?
    Because of the way people live nowadays, spending a lot of time hunched over at the computer, enforcing that kind of posture during sleep seems like a bad idea. Anything that makes you "bend" your back in your sleep is probably not good, save for well-supported side-sleeping. I can't sleep on my side without a pillow, my arms fall asleep if I put my head on them .
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Because of the way people live nowadays, spending a lot of time hunched over at the computer, enforcing that kind of posture during sleep seems like a bad idea. Anything that makes you "bend" your back in your sleep is probably not good, save for well-supported side-sleeping. I can't sleep on my side without a pillow, my arms fall asleep if I put my head on them .
    Good to know, thank you. I've slept without a pillow for 2 weeks before this one, since I recently bought a down feather pillow. It's very sturdy and gives me quite a lot of leveling, so I thought it would have been better to prop my shoulders on there too. I guess not, now...

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Morning headaches that go away after a few hours could be a sign of low thyroid.

Other symptoms of low thyroid include: fatigue, foggy thinking, dizziness, low blood pressure, cold body temperature, constipation, weight gain, wide gap teeth, yellow stained teeth, hair loss, thinning eyebrows, high cholesterol.

If you have these symptoms and suspect low thyroid: check your basal body temperature each morning (armpit, 10 minutes) for 5 straight mornings. If the average temperature is below 98 degrees, you should probably see a practitioner who performs advanced thyroid testing.

Edit: *for women who are in active menstruating, it is best to perform the BBT test after finishing bleeding.

If the headaches are caused by muscle-skeletal structural changes, then there should also be neck pain, shoulder soreness at tops, upper back soreness or stiffness. If this is the case, then trying to sleep laying flat with no pillow or switching pillows may help alleviate and relax tight muscles etc.

You may also try using a heating pad or warming blanket on the back of your neck/upperback/tops of shoulders for about 10-15 minutes before sleeping for the night.
    Last edited by StephenHLi; 01-23-2013 at 07:39 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12