Thread: Newbie getting started: how often for strength training? page

kmw5 is offline Junior Member

Newbie getting started: how often for strength training?

Primal Fuel
    Hi,
    Quick question.
    I'm just starting out with strength training (the suggested pushups, pullups, plank and squats). I did these exercises on Saturday (to exhaustion) and I'm pretty sore.
    That said, I'd like to build strength sooner rather than later. With my schedule, it would probably be better to do strength exercises again today (Monday) rather than tomorrow (Tuesday). Is ~48 hours too soon? Or should I let my muscles recover longer?

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    I think twice a week is perfect for bodyweight excersises, especially if you are new to it, you will gain quick, but be sore as hell if you push your-self too fast and risk injury of joints and supporting muscles. Leave it till Wednesday if you can IMO.

You can't rush gaining strenght and endurance - it only comes as fast as your genetics will let it.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think PB Fitness ebook says to do the strength stuff 2 or 3x a week but it gives you the option of those strength sessions being one of those high impact things instead anytime you feel like it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    2 workouts per week is plenty as long as you train hard. If you aren't training hard enough you won't get the results no matter how many workouts you do. But if you train harder you'll get better results from your sessions. So the solution lies in focusing on training harder, not more often.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    As long as you leave a full day of rest in between, you should be able to do 2-3 sessions per week without too much difficulty.

feren6 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw5 View Post
    Hi,
    Quick question.
    I'm just starting out with strength training (the suggested pushups, pullups, plank and squats). I did these exercises on Saturday (to exhaustion) and I'm pretty sore.
    That said, I'd like to build strength sooner rather than later. With my schedule, it would probably be better to do strength exercises again today (Monday) rather than tomorrow (Tuesday). Is ~48 hours too soon? Or should I let my muscles recover longer?
    When you start strength training, you're body is able to recover faster. Aim for 3x a week -- I prefer Monday/Wednesday/Friday. I don't do many bodyweight exercises, but I lift heavy weights with compound barbell movements, and I can recover enough to do 3x a week. But with the bodyweight exercises, you could probably do two days in a row and it wouldn't hurt you. Just don't aim for it.

Make sure that you eat your weight in grams of protein in order to conserve muscle mass. Lots of steak and eggs and you'll be great.