Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Porcelain Doll Diet page 3

Primal Fuel
    Good article. Hormesis is defintely real. So are self inflicted food intolerances people give themselves by remaining on overly strict diets.
    You see it on many different diet forums. Foods people used to tolerate well now leave them in discomfort for 24 hours following. This is not a good thing.

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    When I was young and healthy and strong I used to think and act the same. Now I am wiser, because I can see where this did lead me to: 110 kg and painful joints to a point that any movement was almost impossible. And we did not have any crap foods around when I was young.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    I agree that acute stress to the body can make us stronger, but chronic stress does not. So, eating processed junk food in the short-term may be fine, but years down the line of eating junk won't be. I get not being so strict all the time that we eat the same things day in and day out, but there are healthier ways to add variability to the diet.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Good article. Hormesis is defintely real. So are self inflicted food intolerances people give themselves by remaining on overly strict diets.
    You see it on many different diet forums. Foods people used to tolerate well now leave them in discomfort for 24 hours following. This is not a good thing.
    +1

This happened to my husband. After a lifetime of eating pasta and bread and cheese in Italy, where he's from, he started avoiding it when we got together because of my diet, and because he thought it would help with his autoimmune diseases. Not only did it not help him (his worst flares were while eating strict grain/dairy-free paleo), but he ended up developing a pretty annoying intolerance to all the foods he cut out. After re-introducing them slowly, once a week, he was able to eat them again without problem. I know this isn't the case for everyone, and one possible reason is that the quality of the foods he had been eating in Italy were quite high; everything was homecooked and local, he ate only during meal times, no junk food/candy/restaurants/fast food.

I don't think the author is advocating eating a bunch of shit all day every day, but he's saying that having a few 'bad' things periodically can end up being more beneficial than being super-strict and NEVER having anything bad. I agree with this. Unfortunately, for people with disorder eating issues, it's very difficult to have 'bad' things in moderation. That doesn't mean it shouldn't still be a goal, but for them the situation is more complex. Likewise for people with serious health problems.

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Unfortunately, for people with disorder eating issues, it's very difficult to have 'bad' things in moderation.
    For sugar burner and grain eater its practically impossible. Or there would not be anything like "bing eating". Who would do it if could avoid?

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaHorse View Post
    For sugar burner and grain eater its practically impossible. Or there would not be anything like "bing eating". Who would do it if could avoid?
    Huh?

I don't really understand what a 'sugar burner' is. I eat a high carb/low fat diet and have recently incorporated some gluten-free grains back into my diet. (some days, like yesterday, it was 60C/20F/20P). I don't binge anymore, and I can easily skip meals whenever I want. When I ate a high fat/low carb diet, I was always trying to suppress my desire to binge. Now, that desire doesn't exist.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I just think if you are going to induce hormesis, it's best done with "natural" "toxins" rather than MSG, trans-fats, food coloring, artificial flavors and whatever other additives. That's my only critique. Otherwise, I do agree that if you have a cookie or a plate of pasta once in a while there's no reason to panic. If I ever hike the Pacific Crest Trail again I will likely consume large quantities of oats and corn (in the form of Fritos, as well as potatoes in the form of chips and fries) to make the distance, so it's not like I'm a total hardliner when it comes to this stuff.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Scenario 1) The world is writhing with poisonous fire, get used to the flames so your scars are thick enough to resist the toxicity and you can venture out into the toxic chaos.

Scenario 2) Stop living in a toxic world.

Hmm, really tricky choices, huh?

For the record, when I lived entirely on processed food, my face was dripping with pus, I'd get home from work and pass out on the floor or couch or bed, only to wake inside of a body that audibly creaked with every painful movement. I lived on pain-killers and candy and boxes of wheat in different forms. There was no hormesis, no adaptation to the toxicity, only obesity and intense pain all day, all over. These people advocating intake of modern, artificial poisons to which the body should NEVER have to adapt are outright lunatics, willful liars and brazen heretics worthy of suffering any pain they have inflicted. If I listen to these bozos and eat a few cookies every week, that means I'm inflamed and living in pain for HALF of my life, and what of potential damage to my arteries? If my face is dripping pus and I am infinitely hungry and cannot stop eating more and more fake food, how is this beneficial to my longevity? Should I visit you every morning and smack your forehead with a pointy hammer just to make sure you can take it in the real world? Is that hormetic enough for you, you sick puppies? I'd be more than happy to, just let me know!

EDIT: Yes, to this day, even after months of pure paleo, a few cookies with wheat and/or margarine will create joint pain and face/back boils for three or four days. There is no healing from things that kill you.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 01-22-2013 at 09:22 AM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I just think if you are going to induce hormesis, it's best done with "natural" "toxins" rather than MSG, trans-fats, food coloring, artificial flavors and whatever other additives. That's my only critique. Otherwise, I do agree that if you have a cookie or a plate of pasta once in a while there's no reason to panic. If I ever hike the Pacific Crest Trail again I will likely consume large quantities of oats and corn (in the form of Fritos, as well as potatoes in the form of chips and fries) to make the distance, so it's not like I'm a total hardliner when it comes to this stuff.
    Right there with you.

Even as a person who eats for a medical condition I don't consider myself a "hardliner" I guess.
    In that I do treat myself.

I just don't really understand the need to do so on highly processed junk foods.
    I sometimes have carby days where I eat baked sweet plantains at home, or a premium frozen custard locally.
    I go out for mexican food on occasion and don't stress about the oil they use... an even munch on a few of the in restaurant made chips with some salsa.

A burger and fries from a fast food chain. No.
    I honestly thought that tasted like CRAP even before I was Primal and would only eat it in the worst sort of situations with zero other options... and then It was a Wendy's Chicken Sandwich because at least they used whole chicken breasts. That happened maybe once a year.
    Not interested even if I could. (I have to be GF.)
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Sounds like a concept the author has plucked out of the air. No science behind it.
    Ironic comment posted on a "Paleo diet" message board...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast