Thread: I can hear my joints POP page

linuxguy0481 is offline Member

I can hear my joints POP

Primal Fuel
    Don't worry. It's not painful. Just really annoying. When I start warming up that's the time when I hear it the most. Also when I do burpees. I'm not able to do my burpees at the momentum I want to do exercise in. It's usually pops in the same usual places.

I'm just looking for any suggestions on what I should take for this to go away or lessen it. I hope someone here can help out with this. Thanks

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I have had this problem all my life, it doesn't hurt and doesn't bother me although it does make me feel prematurely old. I don't think it's anything to worry about, although I've read that it may be a sign of dehydration.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

sarahelyse is offline Member
    I was told two things about popping joints when I was in physical therapy:

1) If its a light, repetitive popping, it could be old scar tissue that's just moving around in the joints. (I injured my ankle pretty severely when I was young, and that ankle always pops when I start walking on the treadmill.)

2) If its a singular, heavier feeling pop, it could be ligaments moving around the joint. I don't remember what else my physical therapist said about this one, but I was left with the impression that it wasn't anything to worry about.

Sorry this is all I know about joint popping! Hopefully you'll find an answer!!

jtrain_36 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahelyse View Post
    I was told two things about popping joints when I was in physical therapy:

1) If its a light, repetitive popping, it could be old scar tissue that's just moving around in the joints. (I injured my ankle pretty severely when I was young, and that ankle always pops when I start walking on the treadmill.)

2) If its a singular, heavier feeling pop, it could be ligaments moving around the joint. I don't remember what else my physical therapist said about this one, but I was left with the impression that it wasn't anything to worry about.

Sorry this is all I know about joint popping! Hopefully you'll find an answer!!
    Most popping in the joints is the #1 listed here. I've had countless knee/ankle/wrist injuries so just about every movement makes popping noises.

Where is the noise coming from? (i.e. which joint?) There are pathologies that involve tendons or ligaments sliding over a bony prominence which can cause a snapping noise and might warrant being looked at by a PT.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Some of it can be pressure, and it just happens, and there's nothing you can do about it. My knees have popped my entire life (usually occurs when lowering past or raising from below a seated position, aka. squatting). I do have some knee pain if I eat too much omega-6, but that is only a more recent occurrence, and my family has a history of arthritis.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    When I started weight training my shoulders popped like crazy. It was really annoying. Also, they seemed not to have much flexibility. I've been lifting for 3 months now and they no longer hurt and I have way more flexibility. I can place my hands on the barbell for back squats a full hand's-width or more closer together on each side than I could at first with no pain at all. And there's no noise at all anymore when I bench press.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

linuxguy0481 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm not sure where it's coming from exactly. I do know it comes from my foot or my ankle not sure which. Also it's usually on my right foot/ankle area. very rarely on my left. I can feel that it needs to be popped and I turn my food a certain way and it pops. Kinda hard to describe it.

By the way thank you all for the replies. I think I may need to go see a chiropractor.