Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much fruit is to much fruit? page

jcellana is offline Junior Member

How much fruit is to much fruit?

Primal Fuel
    I am new to eating primally. I have been using this past week as a transition week and will do the same for the upcoming week. February 1st I am going completely primal. I have some questions about fruit and some other foods/sauces.

How much fruit is too much fruit? I eat a fair amount of fruit and I would like to know whether or not that is primal. I blindly believe in the saying "an apple a day keeps the doctor away" and I eat an apple a day. Is that primal? I am also a big fan of bananas after I go to the gym. I would love any input on this subject.

Also, how do sauces like buffalo sauce a teriyaki seasoning fit into primal eating? Are they considered poisonous things? Lastly, I know dark chocolate is acceptable as a moderation food or sensible indulgence. What is your stance on dark hot chocolate? Poisonous thing because of the added sugar or a sensible indulgence?

Thanks for any help I can get!

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Depends on you.
    You will need to experiment and see how many you can handle.
    I don't eat any fruit as I have a lot of weight to lose, plus it sets me up for other sugar cravings. You may be able to eat 2 per day, what are your goals?
    I don't buy packaged sauces due to sugars and other nasty ingredients, there are recipes out there you can make your self. But most bought ones have other crap in them. Depends on how strict you want to be about avoiding these things I guess.
    I don't eat chocolate. Some do, but there are dark chocolates out there without things like sugar or soy lecithin etc. You just have to look for the good stuff
    I don't buy anything packaged actually.

Good luck.

Do you have the book?

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    You don't mention if weight loss is your goal. If so, you might want to cut back on fruit, particularly the carb-y ones like apples and bananas. You could switch to berries, which are generally lower in carbs and higher in nutrients.

Personally I stay away from packaged sauces. It is too easy to tip over the sugar wagon with those, the oils in them are almost never primal. It is shockingly easy to make most sauces, and as you primalize your kitchen it will get even easier.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

“"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Fruit is bad for you. Cave men didn't ever have access to fruit. Instead, they only had access to coconut oil, olive oil, butter, flax seed oil, and fish oil. One 16 oz glass with every meal is recommended. Ok, please realize that I am totally kidding!!! But this really is an exaggerated sarcastic joke of what a lot of people really do believe.

Think about this. Hunter gatherers didn't have access to any of those oils that people always add to their food, thinking that it is healthy for you, because it takes processing to make such products. Fruit on the other hand may or may not have been available to hunter gatherers depending on where they lived.

Some societies didn't have access to fruit or vegetables at all and therefore had to rely on fat, including saving fat for the winter time when all the game available would be lean. But that is mainly in the arctic regions. Other hunter gatherers would have had access to as much fruit as they wanted and therefore would have eaten as much fruit as possible instead of eating meat all the time.

Think about it. Assume the situation where there's a bunch of fruit on a tree. (Yes, some places on the planet have fruit growing all over the place.) If you were really hungry, what woud you do? Would you eat the fruit or would you go hunting? Hmm, I'd think most would just eat the fruit, and then maybe go hunting after if they were still hungry enough.

So is fruit primal? Definitely. With most fruits, chances are you'll be full before you can eat enough to get fat. There just isn't enough calories in most fruits. They really fill you up. And yes, they do have sugar, but in most cases sugar isn't bad for you unless you eat too much of it (calories), which is easy to do with modern foods such as pasta, cakes, bagels, soda, etc.. But it isn't easy to go overboard with fruit.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Up to you and your goals. A few servings or more is fine if you are maintaining, but people trying to lose generally cut back on their sugar consumption. And yes, fruits are sugary, even if they've got other nutrients.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    Fruit is bad for you. Cave men didn't ever have access to fruit. Instead, they only had access to coconut oil, olive oil, butter, flax seed oil, and fish oil. One 16 oz glass with every meal is recommended. Ok, please realize that I am totally kidding!!! But this really is an exaggerated sarcastic joke of what a lot of people really do believe.

Think about this. Hunter gatherers didn't have access to any of those oils that people always add to their food, thinking that it is healthy for you, because it takes processing to make such products. Fruit on the other hand may or may not have been available to hunter gatherers depending on where they lived.

Some societies didn't have access to fruit or vegetables at all and therefore had to rely on fat, including saving fat for the winter time when all the game available would be lean. But that is mainly in the arctic regions. Other hunter gatherers would have had access to as much fruit as they wanted and therefore would have eaten as much fruit as possible instead of eating meat all the time.

Think about it. Assume the situation where there's a bunch of fruit on a tree. (Yes, some places on the planet have fruit growing all over the place.) If you were really hungry, what woud you do? Would you eat the fruit or would you go hunting? Hmm, I'd think most would just eat the fruit, and then maybe go hunting after if they were still hungry enough.

So is fruit primal? Definitely. With most fruits, chances are you'll be full before you can eat enough to get fat. There just isn't enough calories in most fruits. They really fill you up. And yes, they do have sugar, but in most cases sugar isn't bad for you unless you eat too much of it (calories), which is easy to do with modern foods such as pasta, cakes, bagels, soda, etc.. But it isn't easy to go overboard with fruit.
    This is a sensible post. Funny delivery but full of logic.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    I wonder what cavemen ate before the invention of fire?
    Raw meat?
    Fruits, tubers, and nuts were most likely the original primal foods because they were easier to get.
    I seriously doubt that many lived in frigid climates before the invention of fire.

sqidmark is online now Member
    I really don't think fire was an "invention".

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Maybe "discovery" would be a beter way to put it.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Mmmmm.....raw meat. Good stuff. Had some sushi and some raw steak and raw egg yolks all over the weekend!

Its up to your individual circumstances as to the fruit. How you handle fructose and your current metabolic condition may preclude you from eating too much fruit. Do you have fructose malabsorption or fatty liver?

I go with the fruit seasonally bit. Mainly cause all that stuff at the supermarket in winter tastes like ass after traveling thousands of miles anyhow. I have fruit trees in the back yard. I'd rather just wait for those to come in and eat a few of those for a few months.

Ok, as to the dark hot chocolate. Its awesome . I make it for my kids with well sourced coco, raw milk, and some local honey. It's a respectable treat in my book.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast