Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Strength good, conditioning bad. Help. page 5

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks, TheFastCat. This is basically what my coach said yesterday. She also mentioned that the "burning" I describe is a sign that my lactic acid threshold is low, and I need to improve my body's ability to buffer lactic acid. She recommended interval workouts at 30s work : 1min rest, going balls-out effort for the 30s. So, basically, a tabata-style protocol. I think I'm going to throw in a tabata a day in the evening with either my kettlebell or my speed rope, or both, and see if this improves my endurance during metcons.

It's not that I'm not progressing, or not performing well. It's that I'm not progressing or performing as well as I COULD be. And I'm not just being impatient; I really have detected no increased ability to endure. I've just gotten better at pushing through the pain/breathlessness, and also gotten stronger, and this is why my times have improved. But I want to get to the point where I'm breathing more evenly and feeling less like my muscles are about to burn out of my body. Think of a normal everyday thing like going up several flights of stairs; I want to be able to get past the second flight before I'm sucking wind and my thighs are burning like crazy, y'know? And I feel that I SHOULD be able to.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Here's a WOD I did yesterday that would be good for you. Do it in substitution of the next lift or heavy WOD day at your gym.

Happy Hour: 1,000 meter Row (do this with max effort then rest)

Party: 3 Rounds of:

1 Minute to complete 25 Box Jumps (L1 - Anything under 24/20); (L2 - 24/20)

REST 30 SECONDS

1 Minute to complete 25 Kettlebell Swings (L1 - 45/25); (L2 - 55/35)

REST 30 SECONDS

**If athlete is unable to complete the required amount of reps for each movement, athlete will be assessed a 7 burpee penalty per movement not completed (Eg: Max Penalty will be 42 burpees)

The rower should become your best friend in the coming weeks - it is an outstanding tool for conditioning
    ad astra per aspera

Haha! I essentially did this same workout yesterday, except without the rest periods, and adding in sets of medball situps and burpees.

Are we thinking that max effort : rest in some sort of ratio is what's going to help me? That's sort of what I'm gleaning from the various advice I've been given.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Right - that's what the tabatas you do anyway are doing. Until you have the capacity to do 10 minute workouts straight through intervals are great.

The thing is though when you recognize a WOD like the one I linked has rest times built in -- you should be afraid. What that means is (in the example of the one I linked) that you go AS HARD AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE during the work portion. The longer the rest, the harder you need to exert yourself during the work. The rest isn't there to allow you to recover... it's there to allow you work more intensely. By forgoing your rest period for other work (situps, burpees), you are lowering your intensity while working. So the workout I linked (intervals) is actually very different than the one you did with similiar movements. Do you understand the difference? If you are trying to extend your lactic threshold - intervals like these will get you there faster than longer, less intense workouts.

This is why skipping rest days is bad - you need to recover (neurologically, mentally, physically) in order to return and participate as intensely as possible. The intensity is the secret sauce to the adaptation.
    ad astra per aspera

The rest isn't there to allow you to recover... it's there to allow you work more intensely.
    This just opened some doors in my brain. Thanks. Okay, I'm going to add in VERY short interval sessions, probably tabatas, every other evening and see if it has an effect.

Sturm is offline Junior Member
    Your body will adapt to how you train it, so for instance if you train mostly at a large 1RM % then your body will increase in strength. If you want better conditioning as to say for muscular endurance during movements then you need to decrease weight and do more reps. You will find as you do more reps with less weight the burning and fatigue will go away as your body adapts. Sometimes it's not all about explosive strength and power.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    She recommended interval workouts at 30s work : 1min rest, going balls-out effort for the 30s. So, basically, a tabata-style protocol.
    This is what I would recommend. Interval training is the best way to improve endurance. Tabatas are fine, but don't limit yourself to those. I tend to think that the rest period (10 seconds) in tabatas is not long enough to allow you to recover properly so that your intensity during the work intervals decreases as you go through the reps. I do Tabatas from time to time but usually only when I absolutely have no time to do a proper workout. (Such as the night before a final when I was still in school.)

Try doing the 30 second-1 minute protocol, or even a 30 or 40 second/1.5 minute protocol. Try it on a treadmill. 30 or 40 second sprint, 1.5 minute rest. I find that, for me, if I jog instead of walk during the rest interval, my endurance improves more quickly. I keep the intensity of the work intervals the same at every rep, but I increase the length of the rest intervals as needed as the reps increase.

Awesome tips, thanks. I'm going to try to put all of this into practice.

troody is offline Junior Member
    I am 100% agree with the statement mentioned above.Improve your weakness is the order of the day here! Less heavy compound, more machines and dumbells and lots of reps and volume. Start out gradually and build up on reps and sets shortening of rest periods etc.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345