Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Want to take a stab at a sample menu? page

Rasputina is offline Senior Member

Want to take a stab at a sample menu?

Primal Fuel
    Would anyone like to take a stab at creating a day's sample menu for weight loss for me? I an interested in the responses here, because we have the "eat more fat group", the "potato/starch group," the "lower fat group," the "carnivore group," the "mostly veg group," and tons of overlap, of course.
    My stats currently 5'3, 29 waist, 36 hips, 120-125 lbs.
    Lots of belly fat.
    Stand all day at work, but never have energy for additional exercise for too long of a time span.

I want to compare your advice with what I currently eat

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    You forgot the "calories group" of which I am a staunch member. Within primal eating guidelines of course. I don't know if you eat breakfast or one meal a day or whatever. Here goes:

Two cups coffee with 2 tblsp half and half in each OR One cup coffee with 3/4 tblsp butter

3 eggs scrambled (a little water to make them fluff) cooked in 1/2 tblsp butter

11 oz 95/5 grass fed ground beef
    4 oz avocado
    Salsa or Balsamic

Can of sardines (oil drained for the neighbor's dog)

Just under 1200 calories
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Here is an example of what I usually eat (when not going on insane beer/White castle binges on opening night of hockey :
    5am-9am Coffee and water
    9am- soft-boiled egg over 2 cups of steamed veggies with olive oil
    11am- 3 oz of diced chicken or tuna seasoned and in oil, over two cups of lettuce, broccoli slaw, or in zucchini boats
    4pm- Almond milk latte or espresso or coffee
    7pm- 1/4 lb ground beef over 2 cups veggies (taco salad, "spaghetti," or stir-fry, etc.)
    Usually have a glass of red wine in the evening, but not always.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    You forgot the "calories group" of which I am a staunch member. Within primal eating guidelines of course. I don't know if you eat breakfast or one meal a day or whatever. Here goes:

Two cups coffee with 2 tblsp half and half in each OR One cup coffee with 3/4 tblsp butter

3 eggs scrambled (a little water to make them fluff) cooked in 1/2 tblsp butter

11 oz 95/5 grass fed ground beef
    4 oz avocado
    Salsa or Balsamic

Can of sardines (oil drained for the neighbor's dog)

Just under 1200 calories
    Thank you I'm not great about tracking calories lately

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    What foods do you like? and not like?

I normally eat:
    3 eggs, 1/2 t butter some veggies, a piece of fruit and a cup of coffee and coconut milk for breakfast
    2 boiled egg and 4 ounces of turkey for lunch
    6-8 ounces of protein and veggies for dinner, i T fat (butter or homemade mayo) fruit for dessert

If I work out, I have an extra fruit at lunch or a starch at dinner and 8 ounces kombucha. A few times a week I eat some almonds. Twice a week I have a fruit smoothie for breakfast.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

kristingraves23 is offline Junior Member
    I read the Primal Blueprint, and am only on my first day. I understand the core principals, but am confused about calorie and carb counting? I think I may be eating way too much! But, I thought the idea was to eat plant and animal sources, when you are hungry? Should I be restricting calories? Help! I began my day with 2 cups of coffee with cream, followed by a nice salad (low carb dressing), sautéed Brussels sprouts with greek sour cream as a snack, cauliflower humus with fresh beets, and steak and mashed cauliflower for dinner.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kristingraves23 View Post
    I read the Primal Blueprint, and am only on my first day. I understand the core principals, but am confused about calorie and carb counting? I think I may be eating way too much! But, I thought the idea was to eat plant and animal sources, when you are hungry? Should I be restricting calories? Help! I began my day with 2 cups of coffee with cream, followed by a nice salad (low carb dressing), sautéed Brussels sprouts with greek sour cream as a snack, cauliflower humus with fresh beets, and steak and mashed cauliflower for dinner.
    Honestly just follow the book as it is for 6 months. No need to count just yet.
    After 6 months if you are stuck its when you need to start tweaking things a bit.
    It can be confusing to people new to PB when reading other threads. Good luck with it all.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    With PB, calories are only an issue if you're not losing weight by "eating all you want." If you follow the primal guidelines, and you lose weight, there's no need to count calories.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    what I eat in a typical week:

wednesday - sunday:
    "fast" until somewhere between noon and 3, shift meal of usually a root veggie hash with eggs, chorizo, and goat cheese, cobb salad w/ranch and poached eggs, or scrambled eggs w/salmon, goat cheese, onions, and potatoes. Occasionally a Chipotle burrito bowl w/double steak or barbacoa, black beans, lettuce, pico, and guac. Unfortunately all of this is soaked in canola & soybean oil because I'm at the mercy of restaurants.

dinner is usually something involving pulled pork, beef, brisket, or chicken breast, whipped sweet potatoes w/butter, chicken stock, and garlic, plus a BAS (or hot sauteed equivalent of a BAS) and goat cheese or feta. I include white rice, black beans, lentils, potatoes, pao de queijo and/or corn tortillas on workout days.

Monday: mostly the same things, except I get up early and make breakfast for the girlfriend because I'm awesome.

Tuesday: cheat day! insert embarrassing amounts of ice cream, rice pasta, iced mochas, and booze here.
    Monday and tuesday flip flop depending on which one falls on a lifting day.

Disclaimer: I'm nowhere near my goal physique, but have lost about 30-40 lbs (hard to pin down due to carb cycling) in the past several months with this routine and heavy lifting.

In regards to calorie counting vs. low carb vs. high carb, it's all one big false dichotomy. Once you've met your base protein and fat needs, you're free to choose whether you want to go ketogenic, isocaloric, high carb, or whatever. A reduced calorie diet necessitates reducing carbs. But it really all boils down to the same process if you're successfully mobilizing fat stores.

I'm a big fan of carb cycling in conjunction with workout and rest days. That plus IFing is a killer combination for insulin sensitivity and fat adaptation, without having to indefinitely deprive yourself of certain foods.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Rasputina, I have a very similar body(though I'm a lot older) and am trying to loose belly fat. 5 ft 2 in, 120, waist 28, I have thin arms and legs so I carry it all in my belly. From what I understand I should eat around 1200 calories in order to loose weight, I'm finding that somewhat challenging. This is what I've eaten today, 1210 calories:

3 hard boiled eggs w/ 1 T butter
    Black Tea
    1/2 c coconut milk
    1/4 c raspberries
    1 tsp honey
    3.5 oz. chuck roast with gravy made from broth and veggies
    6 brussel sprouts
    1 T coconut oil
    1 T olive oil (as per Shangra La Diet)

I'm feeling a bit peckish, haven't had my second tablespoon of oil for SLD, but i'm tempted to have some real food instead.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast