Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Want to take a stab at a sample menu? page 2

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Everyone besides chaohinon eats so little!! Some of these daily menus are like one meal and a snack to me, lol! I probably eat too much, but still losing so maybe not.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

ragwort is offline Senior Member
    I've been Primal for about 10 months now, starting very gradually trying to stick to the book as closely as I can (not always possible in real life!)

On a work day
    Breakfast Greek full fat yogurt with a piece of fruit and nuts, boiled egg with butter and herbal tea
    Snack small piece of cheese (I don't take nuts to school)
    Lunch big salad with protein such as cooked sausages, ham, tuna, salmon etc
    Snack apple and almond butter or pate on celery (only if I'm hungry)
    Dinner cooked meat with lots of veg sometimes sometimes potato or very occasionally some rice

On a home day

Brunch eggs and bacon and/or sausage and veg or homemade soup followed by a BAS
    Snack apple and almond butter or pate on celery (only if I'm hungry)
    Dinner cooked meat with lots of veg sometimes some potato or very occasionally some rice

Treats very dark chocolate and/or a glass of red wine

I have lost plenty and feel great but have done this gradually ... I find I eat less when busy at home so change my meals accordingly, sometimes IFing.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by ragwort; 01-21-2013 at 09:55 AM.

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for your menu samples! As you can see from the menu I am posting below, I don't ever really consume fruit, potatoes, starchy veg or dairy. I like my menu, but the problem is that I lack energy to work out, which I really need to keep up with to burn belly fat. Now, my belly fat is due mainly, I think to years of abusing my system with insane amounts of beer. I have that under control. Now I want to shed the fat. I'm thinking of adding a piece of fruit and a plain potato to my day. What do you think?
    5am-9am Coffee and water
    9am- soft-boiled egg over 2 cups of steamed veggies with olive oil
    11am- 3 oz of diced chicken or tuna seasoned and in oil, over two cups of lettuce, broccoli slaw, or in zucchini boats
    4pm- Almond milk latte or espresso or coffee
    7pm- 1/4 lb ground beef over 2 cups veggies (taco salad, "spaghetti," or stir-fry, etc.)
    Usually have a glass of red wine in the evening, but not always.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Honestly just follow the book as it is for 6 months. No need to count just yet.
    After 6 months if you are stuck its when you need to start tweaking things a bit.
    It can be confusing to people new to PB when reading other threads. Good luck with it all.
    I agree. Spend the next 6 weeks to 6 months getting used to the food.... Sourcing, preparing AND eating it. And paying attention to your bodys hunger cues. You are very close to normal weight range now, you may not see drastic changes in body comp by eating alone. Pay close attention to all areas of the Blueprint.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Rasputina, I have a very similar body(though I'm a lot older) and am trying to loose belly fat. 5 ft 2 in, 120, waist 28, I have thin arms and legs so I carry it all in my belly. From what I understand I should eat around 1200 calories in order to loose weight, I'm finding that somewhat challenging. This is what I've eaten today, 1210 calories:

3 hard boiled eggs w/ 1 T butter
    Black Tea
    1/2 c coconut milk
    1/4 c raspberries
    1 tsp honey
    3.5 oz. chuck roast with gravy made from broth and veggies
    6 brussel sprouts
    1 T coconut oil
    1 T olive oil (as per Shangra La Diet)

I'm feeling a bit peckish, haven't had my second tablespoon of oil for SLD, but i'm tempted to have some real food instead.
    Yes, it does sound like we have the same body type! I'm almost 32 and have never had kids. Your menu sounds good! I had to abandon the Shangri-la oil due to tummy problems (not cool in the office). If you don't mind me asking, what is your hip (around the tummy measurement) and what do you think is the reason for your belly fat? Are you doing any exercises? If you can tackle it, then maybe I can, too

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    My belly measurement is 35 and my hips are 37. I'm 52 and have had one child. At the moment I'm trying the eat moar fat approach. With the menu I posted I finally dialed in the macros where I want them, so I'll eat this way for a while (varying the protein and veg) and see if anything changes. I've been eating primally for just about 3 yrs, in the first 6 months I lost 22 lbs and since that time my weight has been stuck at 120. During that time I never counted calories, ate when I when I was hungry and had primal treats, my weight never varied.

Last year I started focusing on doing the 4 primal moves. I'm now able to do 10 push-ups in a set (I started the year doing wall push-ups) and I do 3-5 sets a day, along with chin-ups (first time in my life), squats and planks. I think if I were to do sprints it would make a difference in my metabolism.

I have no idea why I have this belly fat, could be menopause. But way back when I was younger and slim I didn't have much of a waist. Now at least I have a waist.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    As you can see from the menu I am posting below, I don't ever really consume fruit, potatoes, starchy veg or dairy. I like my menu, but the problem is that I lack energy to work out, which I really need to keep up with to burn belly fat.
    For my body, fruit and starches are critical for workout energy. I eat at least two servings of fruit a day, and on work out days an extra fruit or starch. I've gotten to the point where I don't really look forward to the starches, but they help me stay energized. The times I have gone VLC leaves me lacking energy.

For my best energy, Whole 30 eating makes it. I have energy to burn by eating:
    Breakfast- 3 eggs, fruit, veggies
    Lunch- Protein, bit of fat, optional fruit
    Dinner- protein, veg, fat, fruit

It's off the charts- last Sunday I woke up, cleaned a closet, did crossfit, came home, rode my horse, cleaned another closet, did laundry, and made a fancy dinner. Energizer bunny level of energy. It's just that little boost from cutting a bit of fat, but then adding some fruit and starch carbs. The extra carbs don't stop weight loss, and it falls off my tummy.

I'm going to stay Whole 30 for the most part.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    For my body, fruit and starches are critical for workout energy. I eat at least two servings of fruit a day, and on work out days an extra fruit or starch. I've gotten to the point where I don't really look forward to the starches, but they help me stay energized. The times I have gone VLC leaves me lacking energy.

For my best energy, Whole 30 eating makes it. I have energy to burn by eating:
    Breakfast- 3 eggs, fruit, veggies
    Lunch- Protein, bit of fat, optional fruit
    Dinner- protein, veg, fat, fruit

It's off the charts- last Sunday I woke up, cleaned a closet, did crossfit, came home, rode my horse, cleaned another closet, did laundry, and made a fancy dinner. Energizer bunny level of energy. It's just that little boost from cutting a bit of fat, but then adding some fruit and starch carbs. The extra carbs don't stop weight loss, and it falls off my tummy.

I'm going to stay Whole 30 for the most part.
    I haven't had Energizer Bunny levels of energy since I started paleo in 2010, and even then I was drinking copious amounts of beer. Maybe it was the beer that was fueling me This time I'll start with an apple and a potato. I would love to start lifting again!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for your menu samples! As you can see from the menu I am posting below, I don't ever really consume fruit, potatoes, starchy veg or dairy. I like my menu, but the problem is that I lack energy to work out, which I really need to keep up with to burn belly fat. Now, my belly fat is due mainly, I think to years of abusing my system with insane amounts of beer. I have that under control. Now I want to shed the fat. I'm thinking of adding a piece of fruit and a plain potato to my day. What do you think?
    If I may suggest for you try a few days when you put your diet upside down. Start a day with a grapefruit and hot chocolate instead of eggs. Ban eggs for a week, in fact. Have salmon and sweet potato souffle for supper and a soup for lunch. Drink hot lemon water with salt and chili instead of coffee.... in other words, shake it up.
    2 cents!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just remembered another potential cause of my bell fat, I may be hypo thyroid. I had my blood checked a few months ago and TSH was a little high, I also have a low body temp.

I tried adding a few more starches and it really increased my appetite that's why I'm trying the eat moar fat approach. I'll let you know if I see any changes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast