Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 224

Thread: Paleo And Politics

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    646

    Paleo And Politics

    I haven't yet found a significant reason for why paleo should affect or contribute to my political opinions.

    - Honestly, I can find many reasons for why subsidies to grains and sugar is bad, but the fact that I personally avoid them is not one. I don't care much what other people eat.

    - And the demonizing of healthy fat and cholesterol, seems to be shrinking. More and more society is noticing that there's a difference between the fat you get from chips and deep-frying, and the fat found in animals, fish, seeds, etc. And it doesn't seem to be that widespread. Most people eat steaks and stuff. So long as I have access to these foods, I'm happy. And if more people go vegan, maybe it will lower the cost of meat.

    Has paleo affected your political opinions, or your general view of humanity and societies?
    Last edited by Bosnic; 02-03-2013 at 10:07 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Birkenstocks & hairy arm pits.
    Posts
    9,063
    Not specifically. As an old hippie/rational anarchist, my view of the political arena has been one of disdain for many years.

    However, I have to admit that by mentally handing that arena over to younger people by telling myself I'd put in my time (boycotts, demonstrations, signing up folks to vote, etc.), I was appalled when I started learning about CAFO meats, farmed fish, ubiquitous soy, pink slime (omfg), bpa, etc. In my head, I knew things organic were better for me, but I didn't realize the level of un-nourishment/poison our food supply had sunk to.

    So, as far as my political opinions, my basic ideology, which is that everything that the govt tells us is tainted with the stink of profit and payoffs, has just gotten stronger, but not changed.

    As far as humanity, well, I'm kind of a "love mankind, but don't like too many people," kind of person. That hasn't changed at all.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

    B*tch-lite

    Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Fredericksburg, Virginia
    Posts
    480
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Not specifically. As an old hippie/rational anarchist, my view of the political arena has been one of disdain for many years.

    However, I have to admit that by mentally handing that arena over to younger people by telling myself I'd put in my time (boycotts, demonstrations, signing up folks to vote, etc.), I was appalled when I started learning about CAFO meats, farmed fish, ubiquitous soy, pink slime (omfg), bpa, etc. In my head, I knew things organic were better for me, but I didn't realize the level of un-nourishment/poison our food supply had sunk to.

    So, as far as my political opinions, my basic ideology, which is that everything that the govt tells us is tainted with the stink of profit and payoffs, has just gotten stronger, but not changed.

    As far as humanity, well, I'm kind of a "love mankind, but don't like too many people," kind of person. That hasn't changed at all.
    +1

    Well said, Joanie. Mirrors my thoughts and expresses them better than I could have.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    tn
    Posts
    9,587
    no, i already didn't like anyone
    beautiful
    yeah you are

    Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
    lol

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    291
    I think eating Primal is a huge political statement. Its the rejection of corporate/consumerism, along the same lines as avoiding banks, buying used clothing, gardening, hunting, turning off your TV, home schooling, etc.

    As the movement grows, look for more and more articles attacking the lifestyle, and/or watch governments try and stop it (unpasteurized milk in the U.S. or ridiculous marketing standards for vegetables in the EU for example).

    There isn't a government on the planet that wants a population of independent, clear-headed, strong, healthy Groks running around....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,794
    Quote Originally Posted by itchy166 View Post
    I think eating Primal is a huge political statement. Its the rejection of corporate/consumerism, along the same lines as avoiding banks, buying used clothing, gardening, hunting, turning off your TV, home schooling, etc.

    As the movement grows, look for more and more articles attacking the lifestyle, and/or watch governments try and stop it (unpasteurized milk in the U.S. or ridiculous marketing standards for vegetables in the EU for example).

    There isn't a government on the planet that wants a population of independent, clear-headed, strong, healthy Groks running around....
    Hmm, this makes me think, Itchy.

    I didn't start eating Primal to make any sort of statement at all, but the longer I continue with it the more passionate and committed I become. And the more I notice it is a far cry from what other people are eating.

    Eating real food like meat and veges should not be a big deal, but it seems that it is.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Norco, California
    Posts
    1,312

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by itchy166 View Post
    I think eating Primal is a huge political statement. Its the rejection of corporate/consumerism, along the same lines as avoiding banks, buying used clothing, gardening, hunting, turning off your TV, home schooling, etc.

    As the movement grows, look for more and more articles attacking the lifestyle, and/or watch governments try and stop it (unpasteurized milk in the U.S. or ridiculous marketing standards for vegetables in the EU for example).

    There isn't a government on the planet that wants a population of independent, clear-headed, strong, healthy Groks running around....
    In fact I'd not thought of connecting paleo with politics, but now that you ask I think Itchy has it right here.

    I was born into a Military family so I began as a Republican, before the days of neo-cons. I was very active in Goldwater's campaign and was very sorry he lost.

    After that I was busy completing my PhD, getting married, having children and beginning my career. I didn't seriously think about national politics again until I retired. We used to have a social understanding that each person should "do his civic duty" and that our society was one containing a wide variety of civil institutions and organizations.

    My husband and I each did our "civic duty" as did our friends. In our state, all offices below the state level are non-partisan. He was mayor for 12 years, I was planning commissioner for city, county, and sub-state. Then enough was enough, we had performed our civic duties to the best of our abilities and had never been in it for riches or power.

    Today even those concepts "civil duty" and "civil societies" are completely gone, along wilth most civil institutions. Over the years I voted for both party presidents fairly evenly, and learned not to trust either party.

    After retirement I studied economics for 6 years and that really opened my eyes. In the US there are basically 3 schools of economics, Keyensian (at most Ivy league schools), Monetary (the Chicago School) and Austrian (the Von Mises Institute - which is now expanding to many southern Univs). They have a site - mises.org. The Austrian school is also very active in teaching HS and undergraduate students classical economics and classical-liberal history and economic history. As a mathematician and physicist I cannot accept the math and statistics used by the Keyensians and Monetarists.

    But I do think Obama has an idea there, in his $1T coin. If we can have the Chinese buying our completely worthless dollars now, maybe they will take the cool-aid coin. I shows Obama has accepted reality.

    After this education, no more neo-lib or neo-con for me. I'm a Libertarian, and further, an anarcho-capitalist. I think our history, along with that of many other attempts at limited fovernment, proves that limited government is impossible. Once started, like cancer, there is no stopping the monster from growing eternally.



    So now, I have a question for you all. What would our country look like under the perfect conditions you would create if you were God or Totally Magic?

    Somehow, I think that Paleo people are going to be more similar than not on this.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    After retirement I studied economics for 6 years and that really opened my eyes. In the US there are basically 3 schools of economics, Keyensian (at most Ivy league schools), Monetary (the Chicago School) and Austrian
    How about Marx? I don't see how you can fully accept "free market" capitalism if you haven't studied it's most trenchant critic. Due diligence.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Norco, California
    Posts
    1,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    How about Marx? I don't see how you can fully accept "free market" capitalism if you haven't studied it's most trenchant critic. Due diligence.
    Yes, I also studied Marx. Marx is taught in all 3 schools. But Marx was in error, which occured early in his analysis. It goes like this:

    The inputs are 3 factors, Rents (or land), labor, and materials. The output, or product, is sold ( a risk factor here) at a price higher than the sum of the 3 input factors. Marx attributes the gain or profit to an unrecognized additional labors' input, and does not attribute it to the organizations' owner or originator, the person who rented and supplied the materials, and hired the laborers and paid them while they were working.

    Consider, The owner paid the laborers before the product was sold. If the laborer wants to make something by first saving some of his pay, using that saved money to buy materials without any return pay at that time, then sell the product and finally get his return on his investments, he is welcome to do so.

    Marx never included interest on investment. In fact he didn't really believe in interest. That owner we speak of could have not been an entreprenour but instead invested his money as a share of someone else's enterprise and probably gained the same return on investment (interest). But then the laborer would never have been hired.

    Marxian economice is taught as a full degreed course at U.C. Berkley if you're interested.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    The output, or product, is sold ( a risk factor here) at a price higher than the sum of the 3 input factors. Marx attributes the gain or profit to an unrecognized additional labors' input, and does not attribute it to the organizations' owner or originator, the person who rented and supplied the materials, and hired the laborers and paid them while they were working.
    I guess the above is about surplus value, which Marx thought came from the worker getting paid less than the value he creates. I'm not sure what's "wrong" about this idea. I'd think now it's a given.

    Consider, The owner paid the laborers before the product was sold. If the laborer wants to make something by first saving some of his pay, using that saved money to buy materials without any return pay at that time, then sell the product and finally get his return on his investments, he is welcome to do so.
    Well, the worker is "welcome to do so" but good luck with that if you don't have any money. And the worker actually "forwards" his labor to the boss before getting any pay. In effect he gives the capitalist an interest-free sweat loan.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •