Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleo And Politics page

Bosnic is offline Senior Member

Paleo And Politics

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I haven't yet found a significant reason for why paleo should affect or contribute to my political opinions.

- Honestly, I can find many reasons for why subsidies to grains and sugar is bad, but the fact that I personally avoid them is not one. I don't care much what other people eat.

- And the demonizing of healthy fat and cholesterol, seems to be shrinking. More and more society is noticing that there's a difference between the fat you get from chips and deep-frying, and the fat found in animals, fish, seeds, etc. And it doesn't seem to be that widespread. Most people eat steaks and stuff. So long as I have access to these foods, I'm happy. And if more people go vegan, maybe it will lower the cost of meat.

Has paleo affected your political opinions, or your general view of humanity and societies?
    Last edited by Bosnic; 02-03-2013 at 09:07 PM.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Not specifically. As an old hippie/rational anarchist, my view of the political arena has been one of disdain for many years.

However, I have to admit that by mentally handing that arena over to younger people by telling myself I'd put in my time (boycotts, demonstrations, signing up folks to vote, etc.), I was appalled when I started learning about CAFO meats, farmed fish, ubiquitous soy, pink slime (omfg), bpa, etc. In my head, I knew things organic were better for me, but I didn't realize the level of un-nourishment/poison our food supply had sunk to.

So, as far as my political opinions, my basic ideology, which is that everything that the govt tells us is tainted with the stink of profit and payoffs, has just gotten stronger, but not changed.

As far as humanity, well, I'm kind of a "love mankind, but don't like too many people," kind of person. That hasn't changed at all.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Not specifically. As an old hippie/rational anarchist, my view of the political arena has been one of disdain for many years.

However, I have to admit that by mentally handing that arena over to younger people by telling myself I'd put in my time (boycotts, demonstrations, signing up folks to vote, etc.), I was appalled when I started learning about CAFO meats, farmed fish, ubiquitous soy, pink slime (omfg), bpa, etc. In my head, I knew things organic were better for me, but I didn't realize the level of un-nourishment/poison our food supply had sunk to.

So, as far as my political opinions, my basic ideology, which is that everything that the govt tells us is tainted with the stink of profit and payoffs, has just gotten stronger, but not changed.

As far as humanity, well, I'm kind of a "love mankind, but don't like too many people," kind of person. That hasn't changed at all.
    +1

Well said, Joanie. Mirrors my thoughts and expresses them better than I could have.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    no, i already didn't like anyone
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    I think eating Primal is a huge political statement. Its the rejection of corporate/consumerism, along the same lines as avoiding banks, buying used clothing, gardening, hunting, turning off your TV, home schooling, etc.

As the movement grows, look for more and more articles attacking the lifestyle, and/or watch governments try and stop it (unpasteurized milk in the U.S. or ridiculous marketing standards for vegetables in the EU for example).

There isn't a government on the planet that wants a population of independent, clear-headed, strong, healthy Groks running around....

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itchy166 View Post
    I think eating Primal is a huge political statement. Its the rejection of corporate/consumerism, along the same lines as avoiding banks, buying used clothing, gardening, hunting, turning off your TV, home schooling, etc.

As the movement grows, look for more and more articles attacking the lifestyle, and/or watch governments try and stop it (unpasteurized milk in the U.S. or ridiculous marketing standards for vegetables in the EU for example).

There isn't a government on the planet that wants a population of independent, clear-headed, strong, healthy Groks running around....
    Hmm, this makes me think, Itchy.

I didn't start eating Primal to make any sort of statement at all, but the longer I continue with it the more passionate and committed I become. And the more I notice it is a far cry from what other people are eating.

Eating real food like meat and veges should not be a big deal, but it seems that it is.

Kris C is offline Senior Member
    I already have political issues. I am generally more a liberal, but I am a military officer's wife (the military world is quite conservative and due to my husband's job I keep very quiet about my own beliefs to make his life easier; I don't want my opinions to be a reflection on my husband who does not always share my opinion). I am an atheist surrounded (especially now living in SC) by very religious people (again, the military is populated with very evangelical people, or if not evangelical, very vocal about their beliefs). I have homeschooled (difficult to find a secular curriculum to use as guidance) and returned the kids to public school. I am a consumer and do find I have to make compromises, even if it does sometimes bother me, but no compromise is easy. I have a family and obligations to them because I chose to have and love this family. And yes, sometimes I feel my Primal-ness reminds me of the politics out there and I feel torn. As if they all didn't think I was nuts already...
    Starting weight: 168 lbs
    Current weight: 168 lbs
    Goal weight: whatever makes me look strong and healthy!

Current goal: No More Muffin Top!!
    a real pushup, a real pull-up, weekly sprints

Visit my journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76206.htmlKris' Place for Primal Rantings...because everyone else thinks she's nuts

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    The roots of government-subsidized HFCS lay in late 18th century England with the Enclosure Acts. Common lands that once fed commoners with a variety of staple foods were appropriated, consolidated and turned into grain export machines.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    good thread. i get annoyed by the idea that my diet has to influence my politics, or should. and in fact, it doesn't. i'm a dirty pinko lefty, and was so before primal, and nothing has changed.

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    good thread. i get annoyed by the idea that my diet has to influence my politics, or should. and in fact, it doesn't. i'm a dirty pinko lefty, and was so before primal, and nothing has changed.
    Dirty pinko leftys have to eat too!!

The problem with the right is they will force us to eat what is profitable to produce, the problem with the left is they will force us to eat what THEY believe is best for us. Neither the left or the right like those who think and choose for themselves

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast