Thread: Is sleeping a lot bad? page

C2H5OH is offline Senior Member

Is sleeping a lot bad?

During winter months, sometimes I just want to sleep through whole Saturday with a few hours to eat or check IM between. Is anything bad with that desire? Is it unhealthy? I think that since 16 hours per day are dark periods it is not a bad idea to sleep so much time if the body (or mind) just wants that. I am confused, is there any science behind it?
    I will be normal. I will be NORMAL again
    Yeah!

sarahelyse is offline Member
    I feel like this a lot in the winter. I've been diagnosed with seasonal affective disorder, which explains my personal desire to sleep a lot. However, if I go out for a walk, even a short one, I suddenly feel sooo much better!

Try walking outside for a little bit, even if you have to bundle up in layers.

bamabelle is offline Senior Member
    Vitamin D levels are lower in the winter, which can lead to being extra tired. Some people take vitamin D supplements, use SAD lamps (seasonal affective disorder lamps) or go to a tanning bed.
    Amanda

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Back when I still worked full time, I got in the habit of sleeping in and laying around on Sundays. I still do it. It's such a treat to shut the world out, doze off watching bad tv, eat in bed, etc.

Also, if your avatar is you, you look young. I remember a friend of mine telling me that when her sons reached their mid teens, they slept a lot even through their early 20s. (They also ate a lot.) She figured they were changing so much physically and emotionally that maybe they needed all that sleep.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    My sleep month is March --- I can sleep and sleep through March and have for years. I just accept the fact that I sleep a lot through this month. I feel like the butterfly emerging in April and am normal the rest of the year.

Listen to your body -- it's tell you what it needs/wants. So long as it's not interfering with your work/normal life, just go with it.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

meggan is offline Member
    I think it depends on why you want to sleep.

For me, when I'm feeling very stressed and depressed I cope by sleeping. I find it more enjoyable to sleep than to deal with the world. And I usually get depressed more often in winter. So for me, sleeping a lot is bad. It's similar to people who drink to deal with their problems or overeat.

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    I think it depends on how much you are sleeping and when. I think our natural body clock, maybe more so when we go primal, seems to call for longer sleeping hours in the winter when we have longer nights and shorter nights during the summer months. Or at least that is the way I am.

During the winter, I'm ready for bed shortly after sundown and dinner but during the summer, I don't go to bed until much later.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C2H5OH View Post
    During winter months, sometimes I just want to sleep through whole Saturday with a few hours to eat or check IM between. Is anything bad with that desire? Is it unhealthy? I think that since 16 hours per day are dark periods it is not a bad idea to sleep so much time if the body (or mind) just wants that. I am confused, is there any science behind it?
    I'm jealous, I wouldn't worry
    well then

wiliswene is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I got in the habit of sleeping in and laying around on Sundays.