Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What food/drinks to take to the birthing center? page

Maurabela is offline Member

What food/drinks to take to the birthing center?

Shop Now
    Hi all!

The birthing center where I plan to give birth allows and encourages eating and drinking during labor. One of the natural birthing books I read recommended drinking a sports drink (how natural, right?) or tea with honey -- something other than water -- to stay hydrated during active labor. My question is, what would be more primal to drink than a sports drink? I'm planning on bringing iced tea with honey, but what else? Maybe some kind of probiotic lemon or lime drink, or maybe coconut water? Also, do you have any recommendations for eating? I've seen women packing crackers and chocolate bars in their hospital bags, but I'm definitely not doing that. I was thinking carrots and hard boiled eggs, but what else?

Thanks!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Water. Fruit. Jerky. Nuts.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Coconut water might be the natural equivalent of a sports drink. Some simple carbs along with a few electrolytes.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    You can pack whatever you feel like -- but once you are in active labour -- you'll be lucky to take in a few ice chips. Stay home as long as possible and go into the labour centre when you can't stay home any longer. If you think this is going to be a buffet or something, do a little reality check. Pain has a lovely way of supressing appetite and your body is going to need every ounce of effort to birth a baby versus dealing with digestion. I birthed four (my last two were twins).....I had a midwife for all babies --- never ate a damn thing once I got to the birthing room. Just my personal experience.

Edit: Actually, in hindsight....could have used a shot of Remy Martin or cognac.....
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    I gave advice but forgot to ask some key questions: Are you the family support team or the woman giving birth? If you are the support team, then bring whatever you damn well please. If you are the birthing mother ---- you'll need a good support partner and an empty stomach.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    You can pack whatever you feel like -- but once you are in active labour -- you'll be lucky to take in a few ice chips. Stay home as long as possible and go into the labour centre when you can't stay home any longer. If you think this is going to be a buffet or something, do a little reality check. Pain has a lovely way of supressing appetite and your body is going to need every ounce of effort to birth a baby versus dealing with digestion. I birthed four (my last two were twins).....I had a midwife for all babies --- never ate a damn thing once I got to the birthing room. Just my personal experience.

Edit: Actually, in hindsight....could have used a shot of Remy Martin or cognac.....
    yes this, except for number 2 i was at home.
    number 1 was induced then c/s but early on once the induction process started they wouldn't let me eat, since they knew surgery was likely to occur due to the induction. So that was 14 hours of not being able to eat, so I felt horrible from that (was not primal then).

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I gave advice but forgot to ask some key questions: Are you the family support team or the woman giving birth? If you are the support team, then bring whatever you damn well please. If you are the birthing mother ---- you'll need a good support partner and an empty stomach.
    Seconded. My advice was for food to eat in the days after the birth, since hospital food is PITIFUL and almost designed to make you sicker than when you went in.

You probably only want water or ice during labour itself.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    I had my 2nd in a birthing center. By the time I was far enough along to leave home, I wasn't much in the mood for eating and drinking. Even though I spent 12 hours there laboring and then over night in the hospital due to a retained placenta, I only had water with lemon, beef broth, and applesauce the whole time. Once I got home, I ate a huge meal, though.

I'd recommend taking stuff you really like when you're stomach's a bit upset and having plenty to eat at home afterwards. If you're well fed right up to the end, what you eat or don't eat after that won't matter all that much. What makes you happy will matter A LOT, lol.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

I appreciate your advice, thank you! I am the woman giving birth. Everything I have read and learned says I should eat during early labor to have the energy I need for active labor. I am guessing the reason the sports drinks were suggested is to get some kind of energy during active labor since, as you said, I won't feel like eating. Are you saying to have an empty stomach to prevent nasty vomiting (as opposed to less nasty vomiting)?

Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    I had my 2nd in a birthing center. By the time I was far enough along to leave home, I wasn't much in the mood for eating and drinking. Even though I spent 12 hours there laboring and then over night in the hospital due to a retained placenta, I only had water with lemon, beef broth, and applesauce the whole time. Once I got home, I ate a huge meal, though.

I'd recommend taking stuff you really like when you're stomach's a bit upset and having plenty to eat at home afterwards. If you're well fed right up to the end, what you eat or don't eat after that won't matter all that much. What makes you happy will matter A LOT, lol.
    This is very helpful - Thank you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast