Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High-Fat Dairy versus Nuts... lesser of two evils? page

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member

High-Fat Dairy versus Nuts... lesser of two evils?

Primal Fuel
    I love the Primal WOE, I really do... but as a busy college student I don't always have time to cook a piece of meat and veggies for lunch (also I find I get really bored eating the same sort of thing repeatedly). I'm much happier when I have nuts or a little dairy thrown into my day, but I'm wondering (from a weight-maintenance point of view) which one is more favorable.

Dairy would be maybe 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, with no additives, no sugar... just straight up dairy fat.
    Nuts would be maybe 3 or 4 tablespoons of macadamia butter. Really fills me up.

If I'm keeping my calories in check, does one offer more benefits (or fewer drawbacks) than the other?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Have a 1/4 cup of HWC and 2 tablespoons of mac butter and call it a day

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Either is fine if they don't make up the majority of your energy and nutritional intake and you tolerate them.

You don't have to 'have time' to cook every meal from scratch. Make a batch of something and eat it till its gone. Boring? Too bad. Food is supposed to be nutritious and satisfying, not entertainment. If you don't have time for optimal nutrition AND variety AND convenience, something has to take precedence.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    Either is fine if they don't make up the majority of your energy and nutritional intake and you tolerate them.

You don't have to 'have time' to cook every meal from scratch. Make a batch of something and eat it till its gone. Boring? Too bad. Food is supposed to be nutritious and satisfying, not entertainment. If you don't have time for optimal nutrition AND variety AND convenience, something has to take precedence.
    Geez, please drop the attitude.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Cream and butter are not nutrient dense. Feta cheese (from sheep and goat's milk) offers much better nutrient density and is inexpensive when its protein content is taken into account. Feta is very versatile - I find that it works well in just about every dish that I have added it to (e.g. omelettes, salads, risottos). Its shelf-life and cost make it a very convenient staple for students.

ETA: Sheep's and goat's casein are tolerated much better than cow's.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 01-20-2013 at 02:44 PM.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post

Tis a word in season IMO.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    I would agree with paleo-bunny that cheese as a regular food is probably a better choice than HWC. Whether dairy or nuts is better for managing your weight will be a really personal thing. The one that keeps you fuller for longer, or at least happier longer, will be an easier choice. Nutrition-wise, neither nuts or cheese alone are a great meal choice, but you could do much worse, so see how it goes. And try to think about how you could make other things work. Even if it seems too much trouble now, after a while, you might come up with another strategy you like better.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    I think it all depends on how you react to each of them. Some people are sensitive to dairy, some are sensitive to nuts, some to both and some to none.

I tend to think nuts are "healthier" and more "paleo" than dairy.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    There's nothing "evil" about nuts. A handful of nuts a day is extemely healthy. The only reason people should stay away from nuts is if they have a tendancy to binge on them. Or if you're allergic to them, obviously.
    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 01-21-2013 at 12:43 AM.

feren6 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    I love the Primal WOE, I really do... but as a busy college student I don't always have time to cook a piece of meat and veggies for lunch (also I find I get really bored eating the same sort of thing repeatedly). I'm much happier when I have nuts or a little dairy thrown into my day, but I'm wondering (from a weight-maintenance point of view) which one is more favorable.

Dairy would be maybe 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, with no additives, no sugar... just straight up dairy fat.
    Nuts would be maybe 3 or 4 tablespoons of macadamia butter. Really fills me up.

If I'm keeping my calories in check, does one offer more benefits (or fewer drawbacks) than the other?
    I am a busy college student as well. First, I would take a look at intermittent fasting if it fits your schedule -- you'll only have to worry about two meals a day instead of three. Skipping breakfast has been the best decision I've ever made because the fasting period keeps me insanely focused. Awesome.

If I had to choose one or the other, I'd choose nuts. The omega 6 content in nuts is questionable, but if it's macadamia's then you're good to go. Dairy, on the other hand, is highly insulinogenic and will spike your blood sugar, which will cause you to crash. If you don't get that kind of reaction from dairy though, then I'd go with dairy instead because it has more protein.

Experiment and see which works better for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast