Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diary Cravings!! Substitutes? page

sarahelyse is offline Member

Diary Cravings!! Substitutes?

Primal Fuel
    I know that dairy is okay in moderation, but I've been craving it like crazy over the last week or so! Nothing sounds better than loading my coffee down with heavy cream, snacking a block of cheese, and eating whatever dish I can get my hands on that includes a thick sauce! (The only thickening agents I know of for sauces are flour and cream.)

I'm assuming this craving means that my body is trying to get something it needs, but I don't want to ingest copious amounts of dairy. I feel like there should be something in the diary that I can get from other, more primal sources.

Any suggestions??

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Nope. As horrifying as it sounds, I'm afraid you're just going to have to eat that dairy.
    nihil

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I do dairy, but just for variety I make good use of coconut cream especially to alternate with HC in my coffee.

Good bone broths and eating tinned fish with bones in (sardines for instance) will get you plenty of the minerals in dairy such as calcium.

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Yea, I'd eat the dairy!

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Some people crave sweets and other harmful treats but that doesn't necessarily mean that your body needs it. I don't think cravings justify what your body really needs all the time. It would be hard for me to believe that most people eating a conventional SAD diet are going around craving brussel sprouts or brocolli since they don't eat it on a normal basis.

I have been craving coffee with heavy cream lately too. I just gave up coffee at the start of the New Year. I am drinking green tea but its not the same and my body is cravoing coffee with cream. But coffee with cream wrecks my digestion everytime so I know I can't have it. So in this personal case, the craving has nothing to do with what my body needs.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Canned coconut milk in coffee is pretty damn good! As for the rest of it, you may be experiencing withdrawal symptoms. Casein is known to cause an opioid-like affect in the brain.

Casein the Opium of Fast Food Addiction?
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

sarahelyse is offline Member
    I didn't consume hardly any dairy before I switched to PB, not for any reason other than I didn't really care for it. That's part of the reason I think that this is a legitimate craving for a missing nutrient. But I don't know what would be in dairy that I'm not getting from other sources. Are there nutrients specific to dairy?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    The casein in HWC is very low, just like the lactose.

Casein is not "THE opium of fast food addiction" it's one of many additives, along with wheat/gluten, that has the same effect. Those chemists/chefs know exactly what cocktail that are cooking up... the one that makes you eat more, and come back again.

I happen to think that coconut milk in coffee tastes completely awful, but lots of people here use it and love it.
    Try it and see?

Were you eating many other saturated fats before PB?
    It may be that you are just seeking lots of really palatable saturated fat now.
    Others on this forum have even gone through stages where they wanted to eat plain butter for a while.

I think if you are staying within your caloric goals then what you are experiencing isn't the worst sort of problem.

Also, try adding butter to steamed vegetables and see if that helps ease the intensity of your other cravings.
    As far as fats go butter is pretty good stuff nutritionally... but buy good butter(Kerrygold or similar)
    Even Choco agrees with that one.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I don't think you're necessarily missing any nutrients. Sonetimes we just have cravings. Be glad it's something healthy and you're not craving cookies.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oooo Cookies! Thanks a lot Damiana!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast