Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Fit by 50 page

rehorne is offline Junior Member

Primal Fit by 50

Primal Fuel
    Hey All,
    I m turning 50 in 2013, and I am determined to be in the best shape ever! I have started the year in the worst physical shape I have ever been in - 6' 0" and 303lbs. Last year I found MDA and started my primal journey, but my additions to sweets derailed me. Last night I threw out all of the sweets, breads and paste.

The MDA community was a huge help last year, especially the success stories - I intend to be one of those this year. I have a long way to go - my weight goal is 210 lbs. But I will get there.

Primal Primate is offline Senior Member
    Hey rehorne,
    Welcome to the community! Hope 2013 is your year to shine. Best of luck on your journey.
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

"Das Beste oder nichts" - Gottlieb Wilhelm Daimler

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Welcome rehorne,

I will be 51 years of existence in 2013 and last year I got rid of around 45 lbs. of lard, down from 246 to 201 lbs., and I am now fitter than I ever have been. Hard work is necessary both on dieting and exercise, and I now do morning cardio, including stair sprints every day and weights/resistance training 5 or 6 days per week. Start out with moderate intensity to let joints and connective tissue get sufficent time to adapt and listen to your body. And don't listen to those that say that "less is more" to recuperate and be fit, older people need more volume, contrary of what most people think...

Gorag -Thanks for the encouragement. I am seeing that it takes more effort to drop the fat as I age. My carb addiction is what stopped me last year. Plus I love cheese! So for a while, I am going to have to lay off the dairy too. Last night made my weekly trip to grocery store. Had to bypass some of my favorites, but it will be worth it!

Well, the first month was a bust. Still same weight, but I realize it is from stress eating. When stressed, I crave carbs. The last two days, I have stopped the MAD. I don't plan on weighing for a week.

Back to primal!

Ok - one full day off the MAD again. It is amazing how much better one can feel after 24 hrs. Already made a BigAssSalad for tomorrow, and have a few primal snacks too. I realize that along with MAD, I am a cheese-a-holic. Luckily, I shredded most of what I have in the refrig ... let's see how tomorrow goes.

Today I weighed - 291! Yeah. And I am in ketosis! My meals are all primal and I am running around 1200 Kcal per day with no desires to binge or any unbearable cravings. Last week I kick started my return to the Primal life with Mark 21 Challenge book and I am using the 90 Day Journal to track progress.

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    great stuff

but 1200 cals/day for someone your size is way low, you may not be getting all you need and it may not be sustainable

keep going and keep the journal going too

Lauri is offline Junior Member
    Slow and steady. I'll be 50 this year, post menopausal (hysterectomy long ago). I spent about 4 months watching my clothes get looser, but the scale not budging. Finally, I packed away the scale. I continued to take in my clothes, buy new, smaller sized clothes, and then, after 11 months, I stepped on the scale to find I had indeed lost 20 lbs. It's not a lot, but I am 2 sizes smaller, so there was quite a bit of re-shaping going on.

It just takes time.

20 lbs is awesome!

Thanks for the encouragement.

1200/Kcal is a lot easier than you would think. And being in ketosis is helping stave off my cravings. I shed the sneaky carbs by dropping creamer in my coffee, and off all places - my ham. Apparently there is more sugar used in processing than I would have ever expected - almost 20 gr of carbs per 8 oz slice. I am getting all of my carbs from veggies - green leafy, cauliflower...

Getting a jump start on shedding the weight has helped improve my desire to move and be more active.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast