Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating more protein and constipation page

David is offline Senior Member

Eating more protein and constipation

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ouch! For the past 6 months I've been eating 80grams to 130 grams of protein per day. Since then I have dealt with a constipation problem. I eat Paleo but include many green leaf veggies plus a variety of other veggies for nutritional balance. I am taking Metamusil too.
    When I reduce the protein amount around 60 grams, then no more constipation. I am of average build and am 6 feet tall and around 154 lbs., if this helps.

Anyone else facing this problem, too?

Any suggestions?

TriCiCi is offline Senior Member
    Actually PB removed my chronic constipation. I easily eat 130 grams of protein a day (Female, 5'7"), but eat lots of fat. You might need to up your fat percentage to help move things along.

TriCiCi, I've increased the fats but may need to add more. I've backed off nuts because lately been reading on Mark's recent post that it should be eaten on occasion. So, knowing that I reduced the fats by cutting back on nuts (which I enjoy eating ), I've increase using more olive oil and coconut oil. How much fats do you usually consume per day? Would you share with me the kinds of oils, too?

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TriCiCi View Post
    Actually PB removed my chronic constipation. I easily eat 130 grams of protein a day (Female, 5'7"), but eat lots of fat. You might need to up your fat percentage to help move things along.
    Has anyone found that upping the fat percentage too high leads to the opposite problem?

Enquiring minds wish to know ... I'm having the opposite problem and would love to find out why so my life can go back to normal.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Upping protein means you need a higher water requirement, you might just be dehydrated. Get half your bodyweight in ounces.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Yeah okay my ratio is back to the good ol' 70% fats, 20% protein 10% carbs and (warning, graphic description alert) my stools are like rocket ships. I don't think it's so much as less protein or more veggies as more fats. It doesn't sound like you're eating a lot of total calories. You may not feel hungry so you may not be eating more, but just adding some extra fat on top of an already nutritionally complete (I'm assuming) diet has a ton of benefits to it. Turns you into a metabolic powerhouse, goes towards repair and maintenance, generates more and larger cholesterol particles, and yes, makes you poop better. On and on and on. Add superfluous fats like lard, coconut oil, and the like. Your butt will love you.

Sterling is offline Member
    Protein is 90-95% absorbed so you won't normally have as many (or as much) bowel movements when protein makes up a large portion of your diet.

TriCiCi is offline Senior Member
    I just try to add good fat to almost everything I eat. I don't usually eat breakfast, but if I were going to I would cook my omelet in bacon grease and slice some avocado on top. If I'm browning ground beef for sauce or chili, I toss CO in there as well. I also use bacon grease, ghee, butter, or coconut oil to cook my veggies. I basically cook or top everything with fat!

batty is offline Senior Member
    i would suggest to ditch the metamucil. you don't need it. with my own personal experience, getting in as much fiber as possible just plugged me up even more - i got all worried so i'd supplement with metamucil as well. i *maybe* get 15-19 g of fiber daily now and the pipes are doing better now than they ever have been. as others have said, increase your fat intake. that works.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will increase my fat intake and already have done so today! And, will stop with metamusil. Hopefully, the increased fat intake will improve things (no need to be specific LOL).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast