Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eating more protein and constipation page 3

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Just found this while loking for cures to constipation:

Avoid high-fat foods. They are hard to digest and can cause digestive spasms.
    Abdominal Bloating and Distention

I'm not sure what to make of all this. It's very frustrating to have so much conflicting information. I mean, who do I believe?

I've been on this forum for a while now and trust that someone reading this will be able to shred that statement. But then again, someone from puristat would be able to 'prove' why fat does cause constipation.

Is there really a right answer to things like this.

I'm beginning to think not.

Not until someone's proved it..

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member
    *shrugs* You can find anything to prove anything. For me, I had really painful constipation eating high fiber (from grains) and I have smooth, pleasant poos eating high fat and with moderate amounts of leafy green vegetables.

I think modern science and medicine has really no clue what is going on with people's bodies, so I eat the way that makes MY body feel good. For me, that has been proven to be low carb, no grain, high fat, moderate protein.

This is my illustration as to how fiber works for me:

fiber by coyotevick, on Flickr
    Last edited by CoyoteVick; 05-13-2011 at 10:54 AM.

bopfer is offline Member
    Constipation could be from low stomach acid too. I had lots of issues until I started taking HCL with any meal that has a good amount of protein. It's not perfect now, but I would say the constipation is 90% gone. I have some chronic infection (parasite) issues to work through as well. Hopefully, after that things will improve even more.

gojirama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randallfloyd View Post
    Just found this while loking for cures to constipation:

Abdominal Bloating and Distention

I'm not sure what to make of all this. It's very frustrating to have so much conflicting information. I mean, who do I believe?

I've been on this forum for a while now and trust that someone reading this will be able to shred that statement. But then again, someone from puristat would be able to 'prove' why fat does cause constipation.

Is there really a right answer to things like this.

I'm beginning to think not.

Not until someone's proved it..
    Hah! Thing is, everyone thinks they HAVE proved it. Here's the things the hardcores of any way of eating don't take into account...individual humans are different. Everyone has to figure it out for themselves, in the end, because they're all unique individuals.
    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Define constipation. Are you feeling the urge and go to push and have a hard time getting it out or are you just not having the urge to go? If its the first one eat more fats. If its the second that could be do to the less carbs ie the less fiber you are eating so you dont have all of the undigested ruffage in your gut needing to be crapped out. Red meat gets fully digested. Fiber doesnt. Im I wrong in this post?

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member
    Bopfer, what's HCL?
    And have you heard of Diatomaceous Earth? It's supposed to shred parasites up. All natural. I heard about it in this video and have started taking a tablespoon of it daily.

YouTube - THE Kefir Smoothie Recipe

Irishhandgrenade, It's both but more the first one. I'm sure I'm getting most of my calories from fat now. I'm eating all the primal approved fats in large quantities. Everything's fried in butter, CO, olive or avocado oil. Eating plenty of fatty meat. Avocado's, eggs, tons of coconut, etc, etc..

I don't think increasing fats will help as I'm already consuming probably 400% what I was. I'm leaning more towards food intolerances. They're so tough to figure out though! Takes a lot of work.

bopfer is offline Member
    HCL = Hydrochloride. It's basically boosts your stomach acid so that you can break down proteins more effectively. If your acid is low, your intestine has to do more work, which leads to slow digestion, constipation and bloating.
    This is the brand I have been using

I haven't heard of Diatomaceous Earth. I will check it out.

strom is offline Senior Member
    I have some betaine hcl. You use it every time you eat protein? How many do you take?

bopfer is offline Member
    Yes, I take it every time right now. Hopefully, once I get my other issues resolved I won't need it anymore. I take 1 or 2 per meal, depending on how much protein I am eating. The dosage is individual though. Just like the now super enzymes, you want to start at 1 and increase by 1 with each meal until you feel a little burn. Then back it off 1. Each time you feel some burn, back off another 1. I was taking 4 at one point.

curlygirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Had similar issues :\

Sooo...I came up with an easy natural smoothie that has 19 grams of fiber. That'll fix it! The recipe and info is on my blog
    My blog: Paleo Musings
    Tweeting all things primal: Twitter
    FaceBook: PaleoMusings

We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast