Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you strain your yogurt/kefir? page 2

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by primal_alex View Post
    Guess what? I am going to do exactly that, this week. I've still got some dried black beans that I had bought before I became primal. I was curious to check if somebody had the same idea. Apparently yes
    I regularly use the filtered whey to control the fermentation of cabbage, for real homemade sauerkraut. It takes a couple of weeks before it's ready but the taste is...

Anybody every tried to do sourdough with kefir whey instead of plain water?
    I've made sauerkraut a couple of times using whey - and I MUCH prefer it with just salt. This link is an interesting take on this

Why I Don’t Use Whey as a Vegetable Fermentation Starter The Liberated Kitchen, LLC

I'm fermenting some buckwheat with kefir (not whey, the whole kefir) just now to make crepes. After an overnight ferment, it is risen and bulked up like sourdough bread does. Fascinating!

With beans, I soak in water for 6 - 8 hours, tip into colander and rinse, put back into bowl and cover with a mix of whey and water to cover or kefir and water to cover and leave overnight before cooking - usually in a pressure cooker. I don't know if it truly does destroy anti nutrients - but they taste good and I have no adverse after effects!

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    I'm fermenting some buckwheat with kefir (not whey, the whole kefir) just now to make crepes. After an overnight ferment, it is risen and bulked up like sourdough bread does. Fascinating!
    That looks interesting, thanks for sharing.

Are you using buckwheat in grains or flour? Will you add eggs and yeast, too, before cooking or kefir+buckwheat are enough?

Quote Originally Posted by primal_alex View Post
    That looks interesting, thanks for sharing.

Are you using buckwheat in grains or flour? Will you add eggs and yeast, too, before cooking or kefir+buckwheat are enough?
    This 1st effort is an experiment using several recipes when googling "fermented buckwheat crepes". i have 1 cup buckwheat flour fermenting with 1 cup kefir, which I began yesterday evening at 6.00 pm. Tomorrow morning I will add 1 beaten egg, 1 cup of milk, salt and a half teaspoon of baking powder. Then cook "pancakes" in a cast iron frying pan and see what happens.

If it is good - fine. If, as I suspect, it is slightly "brittle" then the next attempt will add a tablespoon of tapioca flour with the egg, milk etc. I normally WOULDN"T add baking powder, but it was mentioned in so many recipes that I thought I'd try it for the 1st time!

I'll post to let you know if the results are good, bad or in indifferent!!

@primal_alex

Well, I cooked some of the crepes. Flavour - excellent. Texture - as I suspected, brittle and hard to "flip" over - some squashed up a bit and were a bit undercooked. Looked lovely, with little holes like a crumpet. I think I can either make them with thicker batter and reasonably thick pancakes, but cook for longer on a lower heat, or have a slightly thinner batter, make thinner pancakes and cook quite fast for a shorter time.

I'm going to add another egg, a tablespoon of tapioca flour and enough milk to make the remaining batter slightly thinner - like single (thin) cream. And I shall put less batter in the pan, so it is thinner.

But the flavour is excellent. I think 24 hours fermenting will be enough; mine were fermented 36 hours.

The measurements I did make a lot of batter - I made 4 pancakes and there is a load of batter left over!!
    Last edited by breadsauce; 01-24-2013 at 04:38 AM. Reason: erratic typing!

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    If you strain yogurt for a couple of hours, don't you get Greek style yogurt? If you strain it overnight, you get yogurt cheese?

Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    If you strain yogurt for a couple of hours, don't you get Greek style yogurt? If you strain it overnight, you get yogurt cheese?
    If you strain it overnight, don't you get a hernia?!

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    If you strain it overnight, don't you get a hernia?!
    depends on your core strength......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12