Thread: Electric Toothbrushes - Metals "leaking" from the parts page

Jay
    Jay is offline Junior Member

Electric Toothbrushes - Metals "leaking" from the parts

Shop Now
    So i'm thinking about buying an electric toothbrush, mainly because i have a lot of plaque and using a normal brush doesn't do the job apparently.

I read a couple of years ago in a magazine that the metal parts (from the "rotator") can give off little bits of metal. Below "dangerous" levels... but still, I want to avoid heavy metals in my body.

I did some searching, but couldn't find any good data/links online...

Does anybody know more about this?

Jay
    Jay is offline Junior Member
    Alright, i found a link.

Electric toothbrushes may leave traces of heavy metals in the mouth. (International). - Free Online Library
    * AUSTRALIA: Phillip Colquitt, a nurse and lab technician who runs an independent research company in Queensland, has found that electric toothbrushes may leave traces of heavy metals in the mouths of users.

After noticing a metallic taste following the use of his electric toothbrush, Mr. Colquitt scrubbed test tubes with the brush and several toothpastes and sent the slurries off for analysis.

According to Mr. Colquitt, a surprising amount of nickel and chromium came off with the brush. After six minutes' brushing, chromium levels were a fifth of the recommended daily intake. These metals have been known to trigger chelitis, an allergy that causes inflammation of the lips.

The findings will be reported in The Science of the Total Environment. Mr. Colquitt said that dentists should take a closer look at brushes with metal parts to find out if they pose a health risk. "In the meantime, I wouldn't use one," he commented.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Switching to Primal food was fantastic for my teeth, but switching from toothpaste to baking soda was arguably even better. Try it out.

Cathartes is offline Member
    I will note that not brushing your teeth is worse than having trace amounts of metal in your mouth, since periodontal disease spikes one's risk of cardiac events.

Easy solution? Don't use an electric toothbrush. If you're worried about plastics, too, you can buy a wooden one with natural bristles.