Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we overthinking this whole PB way of life? page

texas.grok is offline Senior Member

Are we overthinking this whole PB way of life?

Primal Fuel
    Do we overthink things at times once we decide to go primal? While I hate to use the ďWhat would grok doĒ thing, I do know that he would not have been checking his blood sugar daily, getting regular blood testing done, agonizing over the results, etc. And yes, I know it is because he didnít have the knowledge or ability to do so but my point is that even if he had been able to, I doubt that he would have.

I donít think he would have analyzed his bowel movements for color and constancy, gone to the local pond to look at his reflection checking for wrinkles and discoloration.

Now I fully realize that there are people on the forum that have medical problems that require monitoring and understand the need to do so. Iím talking about the rest of us that seem to overthink about this whole new primal lifestyle. We seem to want to pick it apart, put it under a microscope and find any and all flaws.

Would we not be better off to enjoy our new-found health, get out and play and not worry about the details?

For me personally, I donít sweat it. The PB way of life suits me very well. If I miss a day without a bowel movement, I donít run to the internet looking for answers. It all seems to work out in the end (pun intended).

If I have a bit of candy, like last night, so what? My new lifestyle has not come to an end; I didnít wake up this morning with an extra 10 pounds of weight and have to buy a larger pair of pants. I get over it.

I love my new primal way of living (well not new, about 3 years now) and to me a big part of going primal is the simplicity of doing so. Basic quality food, donít eat crap, get a bit of exercise and enjoy life. To me, overanalyzing what Iím doing and any changes in my body on a daily basis would take away from this pleasure.

I donít go to the doctor to get regular checkups, I donít get all the vaccinations, I donít follow CW in almost anything. As a result, Iím 57, in good health, sleep well, take no medications and Iím enjoying life. I refuse to live my life in fear and to me, overthinking the PB way of living does little more than raise doubts and questions that may not needs answers.

Or perhaps Iím overthinking the overthinkingÖ.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Or perhaps Iím overthinking the overthinkingÖ.
    Yup. Grok would not have cared what others folks did, unless they were stealing his food...
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 01-19-2013 at 11:25 PM.

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    You are probably right.

This forum probably aggravates that approach. I like to take time off now and then.

There seem to be a few people who live their lives on here. Touting their own experiments as the gospel for others, even when it departs significantly from Mark's teachings and is likely to confuse newcomers drawn here. Being the most prolific or vocal poster does not make you more primal!

I have money issues that prevent me microanalysing things - prefer to spend the money on my sons' health. I prefer to notice the significant improvements in pain, sleeping, mood and that is consistent with what Mark anticipates, and feel satisfied this is working for me.

A big improvement on previous lifestyles makes me not worry about latest microanalysis of latest nutrient fads.

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Yup. Grok would not have cared what others folks did, unless they were stealing his food...
    LOL! Well played.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Karyn is offline Junior Member
    I have noticed many people on this site seem to be overly dedicated to the lifestyle. But I feel that is a personal preference. I try to not take it too seriously. I definately try to live 80/20 and not overthink things.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    I think it's important to be at a personal equilibrium with respect to balancing strictness and over-complication. Some people can be super-strict and laid back about it at the same time. I think a lot of people have found their balance point similar to yours, texas grok. Some on here want to get to a point where they don't have to agonize about however strict they're trying to be, and are stressed in the process. If that's a never-ending process, it's time to take a step back and find a new approach, or reconsider your ideal balance point.

I just noticed your avatar. I like it!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I get sick of the "would grok do ____" posts myself and the giving up soap/shampoo posts too. Modern conveniences are something I could never see myself giving up after spending childhood on a farm without running water or electricity.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

katemary is offline Senior Member
    Agreed. I am not sure that (What would Grok do) is necessarily the point.

I have changed my bookmark from forum to blog to remind me to go back to Mark's basics, rather than some of the stuff thrashed about here. Love the info here, but sometimes some people get off point. Good for them, most people are here to learn nutrition info, but for me, moving from CW to primal has been a big struggle, some of the other stuff confuses that move (and may be someone else's strong opinion, but not correct).

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    You probably are overthinking.

I, however, am not. I am interested in this topic and finding ways to improve my health -- so I do tinker with my diet (make adjustments of various sorts), and I tinker with my movement, and I tinker with my sleep/fasting/work/etc. Tinker tinker tinker.

I also don't really care about grok did, because I don't do caveman reenactments.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Poop threads crack me up.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

We're men, Gus; the world is our toilet.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast