Thread: Not hungry until I eat! What is going on with me? page

ddickson is offline Junior Member

Not hungry until I eat! What is going on with me?

Hi All,

I have a quick question to pose.

I have been primal for just going on 3 weeks now. I feel that I am now a fat burner vs.carb burner. I do about 45 min of cardio in the am before breakfast without ever feeling hungry. I could go all day without eating... so around 11-noonish I eat lunch while I am not really hungry. Lunch consists of about 100g of lean meat, turkey usually sometimes chicken, 1 or 2 eggs and a plethora of veggies with some cheese on top. Then as soon as I start eating I get ravenously hungry!!! and remain hungry even after I have eaten until a few hours after, sometimes all day. This just started about 2 days ago.

Would eating a kiwi and a banana 2 hours before bed(I was craving something sweet!) a few nights ago have anything to do with this?

I am fine before eating...But hungry during and after? This makes no sense to me!

Does anyone know what is going on? I would keep on my IF and be satisfied than eat and be hungry! But I cant not eat....

Thanks for your help!

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Do you need to lose weight? Your body may simply be wanting more nutrition than you're giving it. It's used to fasting so hunkers down and stays quiet- until you start eating and it knows food is available so it tries to get all it can at that time? Just a thought.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Plus all that wonderful food looks so good to your eyes

Yes. I have about 40 lbs to loose. I am very muscular and have always been athletic. i have never found this to be a problem and It is very funny that it only started a couple of days ago. So do you think I just need to eat more? Maybe more protein??

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Maybe you need more fat to be satiated. Lean protein is just not going to satisfy like fat. You can still lose weight with lots of fat. Instead of banana etc. try some form of fat like a spoon of coconut manna or oil, or maybe nut butter.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    My first thought is that you're just not eating enough when you do eat, but without knowing your height, weight, gender, age and total daily food consumption, any guesses would really be a shot in the dark.

I have only recently gotten to where I can push my first meal out to 11am and I do notice that what I eat then affects how comfortable I am waiting until dinner time to eat again. 300-400 calories of plain (sweet or white) potato works best for me. A mix of meat (lean or not) and veggies takes *at least* 500 calories to hold me. Obviously if weight loss wasn't part of my plan, how much I ate at lunch wouldn't be any big deal.

I'm jealous you slipped into IF so easily. If it were me, I'd try waiting til 1pm or so to break fast as well. It's hard to know what will work til you try it.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Yea, looking at your diet again I also think you need more good fat. Your body may have used up fat soluble vitamins, which are stored, and now is running low. So replace some of the carbs with fat. Grass fed butter, coconut oil, cod liver oil, cream (grass fed if you can get it, probably only from a local farmer) etc. If you start craving them, eat them in the amounts you are desiring. It really shouldn't hurt your weight loss.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Awesome guys.

Thank you for all of your great advise! I will try the more fat and just more food in general as well. Looking at my calorie count I am intaking only about 1000-1100...And with how active I generally am... I think I could just do with more. I am 25 year old female, 5'8 ,very active, 220 lbs with 125 of that being lean muscle.

LauraSB :The IF has only been easy because thats how I have been eating for years.As my work schedule doesn't always allow for me to eat on a fixed schedule and sometimes having to go without. But I stay so active that I didn't even know I was hungry till I stopped. Similar to now but I am just not hungry when I stop, not do I stop because of lack of energy!

Thank you all again for your help! Much appreciated!!