Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Coconut milk page

  1. #1
    Jon_Jon's Avatar
    Jon_Jon is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Kent, UK
    Posts
    13

    Coconut milk

    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Does coconut milk rate as a carbohydrate which would raise blood sugar levels enough to create an insulin response?

    Thanks
    Jon_Jon

  2. #2
    itchy166's Avatar
    itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    291
    Coconut milk is very low on the glycemic index - I don't think there is a worry.

  3. #3
    Jon_Jon's Avatar
    Jon_Jon is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Kent, UK
    Posts
    13
    Ok. I was mixing with my whey protein powder. Taste so nice. Used to use soya milk till I read around the subject of soya milk.

    thanks

  4. #4
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Jon View Post
    Ok. I was mixing with my whey protein powder. Taste so nice. Used to use soya milk till I read around the subject of soya milk.

    thanks
    Yes, you are much better off with coconut than soy. Just make sure you get a good quality one without any added gums, stabilizers, etc. A good coconut milk or cream should have one ingredient :coconuts.

    Aroy-D is the one I use

  5. #5
    Heth's Avatar
    Heth is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    97
    Ayam is also good, and you can taste the quality. 100% coconut extract.
    Primal since May 2012. Loving life and down 50lbs.

  6. #6
    Forgotmylastusername's Avatar
    Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    948
    Whey protein is one of the most insulinogenic foods out there. Coconut milk or cream is basically all fat
    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 01-20-2013 at 06:57 PM.

  7. #7
    destructalux's Avatar
    destructalux is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    in the Australian bush
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Whey protein is one of the most insulinogenic foods out there.
    so should it be avoided?

  8. #8
    Artbuc's Avatar
    Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yes, you are much better off with coconut than soy. Just make sure you get a good quality one without any added gums, stabilizers, etc. A good coconut milk or cream should have one ingredient :coconuts.

    Aroy-D is the one I use
    PB, do you get the Aroy-D milk or cream? I see there is a huge variation in price, some in cans and some in paper cartons, some is 100% milk with no preservatives and some is preserved with a sulfur compound. I have read reviews where folks said they no longer like the milk because it has become too watery. I would like to try Aroy-D but I don't know which product to buy.

    I buy Native Forest which is very good except it has guam gar added as a stabilizer.

  9. #9
    namelesswonder's Avatar
    namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    12,184
    Quote Originally Posted by destructalux View Post
    so should it be avoided?
    Depends on your metabolism and your goals. If you want to use it, find one that is low in sugar and has minimal additives. Otherwise, there are ways to increase protein in your diet or other things to eat pre/post work-out.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

  10. #10
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    PB, do you get the Aroy-D milk or cream? I see there is a huge variation in price, some in cans and some in paper cartons, some is 100% milk with no preservatives and some is preserved with a sulfur compound. I have read reviews where folks said they no longer like the milk because it has become too watery. I would like to try Aroy-D but I don't know which product to buy.

    I buy Native Forest which is very good except it has guam gar added as a stabilizer.
    I use the Aroy-D cream which comes in a BPA free tetra pack. The only difference between coconut milk and coconut cream is the water content so, I figure the cream stores more efficiently and I can alway thin it if I want. I mostly just use it in rooibos tea as is. Good flavor combination.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •