Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coconut milk page 2

Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I use the Aroy-D cream which comes in a BPA free tetra pack. The only difference between coconut milk and coconut cream is the water content so, I figure the cream stores more efficiently and I can alway thin it if I want. I mostly just use it in rooibos tea as is. Good flavor combination.
    I wish the cream came in a smaller tetra pack. It only comes in the 32 oz size as far as I know.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Just FYI there is also the Golden Star brand, sold at Walmart, out of all places. It doesn't have any additives either.

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    I've recently tried making my own coconut milk from. My first batch was a too runny; I made 8 cups from the meat of one coconut (cost $2). Next time I will go for 4 cups using one coconut for better consistency. Anyway, no BPA, fillers, stabilizers or preservatives, and costs less.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    When you guys are talking about coconut milk, you're talking about stuff in a can, right? In stores I see coconut milk next to dairy milk, which is more like a coconut beverage, and then there's the canned coconut milk which is a lot thicker and richer.

Xeno is offline Junior Member
    If you have an Asian mart near you, you should be able to find coconut milk on the cheap. They also have truely fermented soy products (usually).

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itchy166 View Post
    I've recently tried making my own coconut milk from. My first batch was a too runny; I made 8 cups from the meat of one coconut (cost $2). Next time I will go for 4 cups using one coconut for better consistency. Anyway, no BPA, fillers, stabilizers or preservatives, and costs less.
    +1

I like to make my own milk out of actual coconuts, and the taste is really unrivaled compared to the old, canned stuff. Not to mention you don't have to worry about the canning/tetrapak linings adding unnecessary/unknown chemicals into your food.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    How do you make it?

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    1. Poke hole in one of the 3 holes and drain of coconut water.
    2. Stick in preheated oven of 400 degrees and bake for 30 minutes. This just makes separation of the white meat from the brown shell easier.
    3. Let the coconut cool and smash on ground inside a plastic bag.
    4. Collect/pry white coconut meat off the shell and cut into smaller chunks.
    5. Add chunks to a food processor or blender full of lukewarm water and blend on high for 5-10 minutes, until the coconut chunks become very fine.
    6. Strain water through a wire-mesh strainer into large bowl(s).
    7. If the coconut milk is not very thick, you can try a second time with the leftover coconut chunks from the strainer and throw into the blender with some water and blend another 5-10 minutes.
    8. Enjoy! I don't know how long it lasts; It's never lasted longer than a week lol!

You just gave me an idea for my next blog post

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkward View Post
    I wish the cream came in a smaller tetra pack. It only comes in the 32 oz size as far as I know.
    I go through it fast enough that this is not an issue for me.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow, totally going to make that. Sounds awesome.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast