I wish the cream came in a smaller tetra pack. It only comes in the 32 oz size as far as I know.
Originally Posted by Paleobird
Just FYI there is also the Golden Star brand, sold at Walmart, out of all places. It doesn't have any additives either.
I've recently tried making my own coconut milk from. My first batch was a too runny; I made 8 cups from the meat of one coconut (cost $2). Next time I will go for 4 cups using one coconut for better consistency. Anyway, no BPA, fillers, stabilizers or preservatives, and costs less.
When you guys are talking about coconut milk, you're talking about stuff in a can, right? In stores I see coconut milk next to dairy milk, which is more like a coconut beverage, and then there's the canned coconut milk which is a lot thicker and richer.
If you have an Asian mart near you, you should be able to find coconut milk on the cheap. They also have truely fermented soy products (usually).
Originally Posted by itchy166
I like to make my own milk out of actual coconuts, and the taste is really unrivaled compared to the old, canned stuff. Not to mention you don't have to worry about the canning/tetrapak linings adding unnecessary/unknown chemicals into your food.
1. Poke hole in one of the 3 holes and drain of coconut water.
2. Stick in preheated oven of 400 degrees and bake for 30 minutes. This just makes separation of the white meat from the brown shell easier.
3. Let the coconut cool and smash on ground inside a plastic bag.
4. Collect/pry white coconut meat off the shell and cut into smaller chunks.
5. Add chunks to a food processor or blender full of lukewarm water and blend on high for 5-10 minutes, until the coconut chunks become very fine.
6. Strain water through a wire-mesh strainer into large bowl(s).
7. If the coconut milk is not very thick, you can try a second time with the leftover coconut chunks from the strainer and throw into the blender with some water and blend another 5-10 minutes.
8. Enjoy! I don't know how long it lasts; It's never lasted longer than a week lol!
You just gave me an idea for my next blog post
I go through it fast enough that this is not an issue for me.
Originally Posted by Hawkward
Wow, totally going to make that. Sounds awesome.