Thread: Upper Back Pain page

Primalsaber is offline Member

Upper Back Pain

Primal Fuel
    Today I began to workout in my garage and decided to start off with a 110# behind-the-neck jerk (My PR is considerably higher). However, as the weight was halfway up, I realized it wasn't gonna move any further. I felt something odd (not really PAIN then) in my back, then went on to try jerk from the front rack position, then a front squat, then a back squat. As I came up from the back squat, I realized that everything felt uncomfortable (and I was tired) so I racked the weight and went inside. Now, 30+ minutes later, I have this dull (but fairly painful) ache/pain in my upper back, about even between my shoulder blades. The pain is exacerbated when I take a deep breath, so it's somewhat shallow right now. What just happened? What to do? Thanks to any responses.

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to guess you pulled a muscle. Best rest it for a few days and see how it goes...if the pain gets worse go to the docs or see a physio
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalsaber View Post
    Today I began to workout in my garage and decided to start off with a 110# behind-the-neck jerk (My PR is considerably higher). However, as the weight was halfway up, I realized it wasn't gonna move any further. I felt something odd (not really PAIN then) in my back, then went on to try jerk from the front rack position, then a front squat, then a back squat. As I came up from the back squat, I realized that everything felt uncomfortable (and I was tired) so I racked the weight and went inside. Now, 30+ minutes later, I have this dull (but fairly painful) ache/pain in my upper back, about even between my shoulder blades. The pain is exacerbated when I take a deep breath, so it's somewhat shallow right now. What just happened? What to do? Thanks to any responses.
    Something similair happened to me last week. For me it was in my neck, I could hardly turn it because of the pain. However after 3-4 days it was completely gone. Just don't work weights untill most of the pain is gone.
    Billie trips balls

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Have had it happen....one good chiropractic treatment usually clears me right up. In my cases its usually (especially if breathing deep exacerbates) the joint between the rib and vertebra (costovertebral junction for the nerds) that gets affected. Adjustment of that joint usually gets it moving freely again so the pain goes away quickly along with the associated muscle spasms. Heals up nicely after that in most cases.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-19-2013 at 02:37 PM.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    First of all, how are you feeling now? It could be something simple like being winded or a muscle spasm, in which case it's probably gone by now. Yes, you may have strained a muscle or ligament. If so, get plenty of rest and take a NSID (e.g. ibruprofen) to reduce inflammation.

Are you eating enough for the lifting you are doing? You may need to eat some more carbs to gain the strength you need. You said you felt tired. You shouldn't really do too much lifting if you are feeling tired - get that fixed first.