Thread: goodbye "low blood sugar"! page

joelle is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb goodbye "low blood sugar"!

Primal Fuel
    For more than 10 years I have been suffering from what I've always thought of as "low blood sugar" where I become extremely shaky and get to the point of nearly fainting almost once a day, especially about an hour after breakfast, but also sometimes in the afternoons as well. I have never gotten satisfactory help from any of the doctors I've seen, even those who practice integrative medicine and tend to be more aware of nutritional issues. I've heard everything from "your blood sugar is totally normal, there is no reason this should happen" (um.. but it is happening?) to "you just have to eat more often" (more often? I don't think that's possible, I was constantly eating in order to keep it from happening!). I've even been questioned about my diet and have always heard, "Your diet is VERY healthy" (no processed foods, low fat, lots of whole grains, a tiny bit of protein, even gluten free), but clearly something was wrong... (also a year of being vegan added nearly 20 lbs! argh!). Although I wasn't really a big refined sugar person I always used honey and agave in things like coffee and yogurt, very liberally to be honest.

Just started Primal about 1 month ago to lose weight and gave up honey and agave along with the grains (and welcomed meat back into my life, delicious!) and the "low blood sugar" seems to be gone! It's such a miracle and was totally unexpected! I feel so good and hopeful and have already lost a bit of weight too.

Then, the other day I was in a situation where it would have been very rude to refuse a homemade dessert from a new friend so I had a tiny bit (a 2" square of a gluten-free brownie). Within 10 minutes I could feel the sugar surge just wash over me and when I got home an hour later I had the WORST low blood sugar moment I've had in a long time, I felt like I was dying! It was such a wake up call. Now I just keep wondering, how has no doctor ever said to me "have you tried not eating any sugar?" And how have I never thought to ask myself that? I guess I always assumed that a bit of honey or agave in my food was no big deal. Clearly it is! All I have to say is good-riddance sugar and hello health! And here's to hoping for weight loss along with it.

Thank you for all of the incredible information on this forum as it has helped me tremendously so far.

fatfran is offline Junior Member
    I've also been diagnosed with hypoglycemia. I was also told to eat more often but what I was eating wasn't helping. They said eat more protein. Ok, fine. I did that but I still ate things like oatmeal & other grains thinking I was doing myself a favor. Until I went primal last April I struggled with constant hunger & unstable blood sugar levels. I also shed 25 lbs. This has been a blessing for me. Stick with your primal path, you won't be sorry.

joelle is offline Junior Member
    Hi Fatfran,
    They told me to eat more protein too, so I tried eating more soy and beans, thinking I was being so virtuous
    I'm so glad to know I wasn't and am not alone in this. I'm feeling the primal way is going to be a blessing for me too, and shedding 25 lbs sounds wonderful, I'm hoping to join you in that too!

fatfran is offline Junior Member
    I wish you a happy healthy primal journey! At first I thought it was scary to eat fat so much but it proved itself. Have you read up on the benefits of coconut oil? It's great stuff!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Well done Joelle. After seeing what this can do, like you I wonder why I didn't figure it out sooner. But we're here now and it's working, so that's great.

My blood sugar problems were not as severe as yours but I certainly did have times when I got the shakes and just HAD to eat something sweet. Now that doesn't happen and its great.

Even yesterday when I went 6 hours from breakfast to lunch I was very hungry but not in that horrid shaky way. And I ate a proper lunch with ham cheese and salad, not sugar.

Welcome.

jeeva1388 is offline Junior Member
    Good bye potential house/condo. Good bye potential car ... I have finally found a way to describe low blood sugar, at least how I feel it. It feels like you're dying, ...

Homelovers is offline Junior Member
    Hi,
    Low blood sugar diet or Hypoglycemia diet is basically meant for people having less blood sugar in the body. Medical intervention is often required to deal with the problem of low blood glucose level in the body. However, by going for a change in the dietary habits, hypoglycemia can be effectually dealt with. By devising a proper hypoglycemia diet plan, the glucose level in the body can be regulated optimally.Thanks friend...
    Phoenix Residential Property Management

HomeLovers is the leader in Arizona property management We provide rental owners with expert service and help renters find homes in AZ