Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Why can't I look like Mark Sisson!?!?! page 9

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    On a low carb diet, your body slows its metabolism down intentionally to protect itself from starving(as it assumes it's doing so for survival, seeing how your fight or flight hormones are in constant use). Makes sense if you're really starving, not so much if you're trying to lose weight since you're intentionally slowing your metabolism down to a crawl. Hence why most people drastically struggle with "those last few pounds".

With drastically low blood sugar, you cut off circulation to your intestines because blood flow moves away from the digestive tract during excessive stress hormone elevation. This can cause malnutrition, poor digestion, discomfort, toxins build-up, etc.

It's alarming to see, given this, people complain about heavy starch meals causing discomfort when they're heavily competing with their elevated stress hormones and the sympathetic nervous system. It has to be worked up, slowly, given the damage you've accumulated over time. Fruit, honey, milk are likely the easiest to digest, preferably side by side with some protein to get things moving in the right direction again. I know this is what I had to do when I wrecked myself with a VLC diet.
    You are very, very smart. I like you

People will swear that low carbohydrate diets don't elevate stress. When you are constantly breaking down lean mass to create the glucose necessary to fuel your brain, I beg to differ. Get your cortisol, adrenaline, serotonin and blood CO2 levels checked. I mean c'mon, we're obsessed about our HDL's and triglycerides around here right? Suddenly adding 4 little things to the list is too much? I bet your first 3 will be high and your CO2 will be in the low 20's
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Indeed. Potatoes are clearly unhealthy. What we need is more cured pork, with its ultra-high concentration of arachidonic acid, and an 800 calorie coffee, courtesy of people that avoid soybean oil and Starbucks because of the high omega 6 content of the oil and the excessive calories of a latte.

Oh right, empty calories from butter are okay but empty calories from sugar are evil, and omega 3:6 ratios only matter when we're not talking about bacon.

Look, y'all can do whatever you want. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Maybe if you've hit a wall, you need to try something new - like not irrationally fearing real food like potatoes and bananas and at the same time filling your belly full of almond meal cookies, paleo pizza, 1,000 calorie coffees and eating isolated coconut oil with a spoon.
    I hope you don't think this is what I do, because I do not.
    My BP coffee is no where near 1000 calories, its 400, and now even less, as I am using less butter, and using cream instead.
    And yeah maybe when I do hit a wall or what ever maybe ill do something else. But its working at the moment.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Ya know, I had a response prepared for this whole mess but nevermind, it isn't worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Er no.

Choco has a normal functioning metabolism. He is genuinely attempting to spread the word that normal functioning metabolisms function much better on moderate carbs than low carbs. Low carb diets are clearly suboptimal for those who have put in the effort to educate themselves and eat a healthy balanced diet from a young age as Choco has. I sense a lot of envy and bitterness out there from those who have to eat low carb.
    THANK YOU!!!

You get it. Low carbohydrate diets can be medicinal, but they are not ideal. For the overwhelming majority of us, they are not ideal. My contention is the majority of people around here think they should be low carb when they shouldn't be. They have just never tried. Or they have not tried long enough. This place is overwhelmed with people that fear carbohydrate in general and have never given it a fair shake, or incorporated a potato into 2 or 3 meals, felt bloated and then immediately quit. Things take time. Remember how it took a few weeks to feel good when transitioning from SAD to Primal? It's sort of like that. It took years to cause damage to your body. You can't expect to repair yourself in a week. Baby steps.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

You are very, very smart. I like you

People will swear that low carbohydrate diets don't elevate stress. When you are constantly breaking down lean mass to create the glucose necessary to fuel your brain, I beg to differ. Get your cortisol, adrenaline, serotonin and blood CO2 levels checked. I mean c'mon, we're obsessed about our HDL's and triglycerides around here right? Suddenly adding 4 little things to the list is too much? I bet your first 3 will be high and your CO2 will be in the low 20's
    I am not interested in causing more stress to myself by going to the Dr and get numbers checked. I would if I stopped feeling good, or was always tired or whatever.
    But I do feel good, and can sleep etc etc among all the other things i mentioned recently. Does this look like my body is suffering, seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    I hope you don't think this is what I do, because I do not.
    My BP coffee is no where near 1000 calories, its 400, and now even less, as I am using less butter, and using cream instead.
    And yeah maybe when I do hit a wall or what ever maybe ill do something else. But its working at the moment.
    My coffee is about 20 calories. Whatever the drop of half and half I put in is. And I burn half of that off walking to the break room on the other side of the building and back.

400 calories is the equivalent to 5 extra large eggs. Can you eat 5 extra large eggs in a sitting comfortably? And do you have any idea how much nutrition is in 5 extra large eggs? That is a massive, nutritionless caloric load you are drinking, and it would serve you a lot better to either eat real food in the place of a 400 calorie latte, or eliminate it entirely. That's about 3/4 of a pound a week you could be losing by eliminating that drink.

THANK YOU!!!

You get it. Low carbohydrate diets can be medicinal, but they are not ideal. For the overwhelming majority of us, they are not ideal. My contention is the majority of people around here think they should be low carb when they shouldn't be. They have just never tried. Or they have not tried long enough. This place is overwhelmed with people that fear carbohydrate in general and have never given it a fair shake, or incorporated a potato into 2 or 3 meals, felt bloated and then immediately quit. Things take time. Remember how it took a few weeks to feel good when transitioning from SAD to Primal? It's sort of like that. It took years to cause damage to your body. You can't expect to repair yourself in a week. Baby steps.
    Choco, are you reading any of my posts? Really?
    I spent a lot of time on low fat, brown rice, etc etc, lean meats, and I felt like crap ALL THE TIME. And I didn't always lose weight either. I have tried it all. OK
    Please do not tell me I have not tried. I have spent 13 years trying to fix my body, following all sorts of peoples advice.
    This way of life is the only way that has worked with losing any weight, which is a secondary priority. My health issues that never would go away, are nearly all gone.
    Please do not tell me I haven't tried, just don't.

The recent experiment was just one meal so I could show you, and those other 2, that I don't want to eat starchy carbs as they don't make me feel good. I am not going to persist with that, because I KNOW.

My coffee is about 20 calories. Whatever the drop of half and half I put in is. And I burn half of that off walking to the break room on the other side of the building and back.

400 calories is the equivalent to 5 extra large eggs. Can you eat 5 extra large eggs in a sitting comfortably? And do you have any idea how much nutrition is in 5 extra large eggs? That is a massive, nutritionless caloric load you are drinking, and it would serve you a lot better to either eat real food in the place of a 400 calorie latte, or eliminate it entirely. That's about 3/4 of a pound a week you could be losing by eliminating that drink.
    I enjoy it, ok so please. Eggs are one thing ive only just started to be able to eat again, so give me a break ok.
    I hear your advice, and right now I don't need it, so I am ignoring it. OK.

And anyway if you must know, I am giving up coffee eventually anyway.
    I am sticking with what I am doing for the whole of January before I change anything. OK.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Er no.

Choco has a normal functioning metabolism. He is genuinely attempting to spread the word that normal functioning metabolisms function much better on moderate carbs than low carbs. Low carb diets are clearly suboptimal for those who have put in the effort to educate themselves and eat a healthy balanced diet from a young age as Choco has. I sense a lot of envy and bitterness out there from those who have to eat low carb.
    PB I am not bitter.
    I am annoyed at those who think their way is right for everyone, and then calling me a liar because I tried their way, and it didn't work.
    That is what my problem is.

Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast