Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Why can't I look like Mark Sisson!?!?! page 4

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post

Yep. The moral of the story is to avoid wheat and processed foods. But not carbohydrate. Nothing wrong with lots and lots of starch.
    This is not true for some of us. Please remember what works for you is not true for everyone.
    I tested it out last night, and ate 75-100g of starchy carbs with my dinner, (pumpkin and sweet potato), and felt terrible afterwards, bloated, and just gross.
    Please don't say there is nothing wrong with lots and lots of starch, unless you follow that with, for some people.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    This is not true for some of us. Please remember what works for you is not true for everyone.
    I tested it out last night, and ate 75-100g of starchy carbs with my dinner, (pumpkin and sweet potato), and felt terrible afterwards, bloated, and just gross.
    Please don't say there is nothing wrong with lots and lots of starch, unless you follow that with, for some people.
    There is nothing wrong with lots of starch. Again, there is nothing wrong with lots of starch. It is the #1 human food in the world in terms of traditional societies. If you have an issue with it, it's you, not the starch. If you feel bloated, you probably have very poor gut health. You should seriously consider taking a good probiotic with every meal and incorporate fermented foods into your diet regularly (sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir, Greek yogurt, etc). You likely have an issue fermenting soluble fiber in your gut, which is why you think you have issues with starch.

You could also try not combining it with lots of palmitic acid. I'm assuming you're eating it with fattier cuts of meat. Fatty meat high in palmitic acid paired with starch is notorious for causing a sluggish feeling. You'd be better of eating it alongside some very lean meat like chicken breast and cooking it in olive oil because it's low in palmitate.

EDIT - This is a very good probiotic supplement and I'd recommend it. Try taking 2 of these with a good sized sweet potato (minus the skin). Feel free to chase it with a glass of kefir. It should help. It may take months or years to rebuild damaged gut cultures.

http://www.vitacost.com/nutrition-no...e-120-capsules
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

I did actually eat roasted chicken breast with it last night.
    But anyway.
    I am not going to get worked up about this like I did last week.
    I do take a probiotic, and my gut is fine.
    Thanks.
    I do not feel great with lots of starch, and do not need them. We are not all young fit males that can have lots.
    End of story.

And I do not cook in olive oil.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    There is nothing wrong with lots of starch. Again, there is nothing wrong with lots of starch. It is the #1 human food in the world in terms of traditional societies. If you have an issue with it, it's you, not the starch. If you feel bloated, you probably have very poor gut health. You should seriously consider taking a good probiotic with every meal and incorporate fermented foods into your diet regularly (sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir, Greek yogurt, etc). You likely have an issue fermenting soluble fiber in your gut, which is why you think you have issues with starch.

You could also try not combining it with lots of palmitic acid. I'm assuming you're eating it with fattier cuts of meat. Fatty meat high in palmitic acid paired with starch is notorious for causing a sluggish feeling. You'd be better of eating it alongside some very lean meat like chicken breast and cooking it in olive oil because it's low in palmitate.

EDIT - This is a very good probiotic supplement and I'd recommend it. Try taking 2 of these with a good sized sweet potato (minus the skin). Feel free to chase it with a glass of kefir. It should help. It may take months or years to rebuild damaged gut cultures.

Nutrition Now PB 8® Pro-Biotic Acidophilus For Life
    Can't you just realize that other people feel better on different diets from you, and stop your foisting already.

Some people have issues with starch that has nothing at all to do with digestion.
    You know what that "assume" thing you are doing does right?
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    No, there is nothing wrong with starch.

That being said, I choose to eat it sparingly (and always have) because it makes me feel tired/heavy. Even as a kid I rarely ate these starchy things (breads, potatoes, corn, beans/rice, etc).

Just because I choose not to eat them because of how I feel better without eating them, doesn't mean I think they are wrong/bad/whatever. It also doesn't mean that I'm afraid of them or have an eating disorder or whatever.

I just ate half a sweet potato just now, and I feel a bit over-stuffed (like I always do after eating starchy things), so, you know, I"ll live, but it's not my favorite feeling in the world. I tend to do this discomfort thing once a week. Carb loading, really.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Of course Mark has always been lean, but was he really so hawt running all those marathons? I mean you don't see an upper body like that on most endurance athletes. He must have put on some serious muscle, no?

When I think of "looking like Mark Sisson" I'm thinking glorious pecs and shoulders, lean with mass.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Can't you just realize that other people feel better on different diets from you, and stop your foisting already.

Some people have issues with starch that has nothing at all to do with digestion.
    You know what that "assume" thing you are doing does right?
    Then maybe you should yell at them for trying to pick a fight that had no place instead of yelling at me since I was speaking in context of the conversation. If you actually read, it's typically me getting berated by the keto-Nazis when I'm operating in context of the conversation. I rarely pick fights, and it is incredibly annoying when the religious zealots come in and try and dissuade healthy people from eating real food - much less the staple foods of most traditional societies - because they have a history of overeating, poor gut health, a general phobia or an agenda to push that they outright lie about. But why blame yourself when you can blame a foodgroup and not accept responsibility for your actions? I find it amazing how suddenly people on keto are eating chicken breast and sweet potatoes when it is the convenient counterpoint to your argument. I don't believe that story for a second (or the 75-100g of starch story, either). Trolls will be trolls, and I know a lie when I see it most of the time.

A funny story: one of my good friends had IBS her entire life. Her IBS would kick in any time she ate anything fatty. She avoided fatty meats because any time she ate any, she would get very, very ill. It took months of trying to convince her that it wasn't the fatty food and was probably a gluten intolerance and I got her to go grain-free. Now, she can eat whatever fatty meat she wants. Bacon, pork ribs, whole chicken, eggs...all the stuff that would make her violently ill is suddenly digestible, but if she has any bread - even a slice - it is a mad dash to the bathroom. Either Ayla2010 is outright lying, trolling me or her "gut is not fine." Talk is cheap on the internet, and I've seen too much stuff over the years to believe anything different. It takes a lot more than a probiotic pill once a day to repair a gut destroyed by decades of poor dieting. It takes years of responsible dieting, clean living and supplementation to mend a gut, and you will never repair a gut culture that thrives off soluble fiber if you don't eat soluble fiber. Going keto avoids the problem rather than fixes you. It is taking a histamine blocker instead of removing the allergen. You are treating the symptom, not the cause.

But back to the discussion on hand - it is clearly a caloric deficit issue. I recommend a balanced diet rich in meats, eggs, fruits and starches because it is overly the most varied and nutritious and supports a robust thyroid and a higher metabolic rate. When you cut carbohydrate too low, your blood CO2 levels tend to drop. This is a sign that your mitochondria are not as robust and your cell respiration is slowing, which is correlated with a downregulated metabolic rate, making it harder to lose weight (one of the reasons low-carbers tend to stall at that magic 15-20 lb number). A diet where animal fat, starch and fruit sugar is available to the body provides you with the most robust nutrition and the healthiest metabolism. Add to that liberal amounts of iodized or colored salts (like Himalayan sea salt, my favorite) and you'll provide the best environment for weight loss in general, assuming your calories are under control.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 01-21-2013 at 07:43 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmc View Post
    Of course Mark has always been lean, but was he really so hawt running all those marathons? I mean you don't see an upper body like that on most endurance athletes. He must have put on some serious muscle, no?

When I think of "looking like Mark Sisson" I'm thinking glorious pecs and shoulders, lean with mass.
    You get those muscles by lifting weights. He lifts.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    There is nothing wrong with lots of starch.....
    Unless you wanna look like Mark Sisson

If thats your goal perhaps you should mirror his WOE.

I mean that is what the threads about right? Seems logical to me that if you wanna have the same success (as defined by his build) then you should follow the same patterns of lifestyle he lives. Works that way in many aspects of life.

So eat 50-100g of carbs PB style a day, move to Malibu, take up snow boarding and do 30 minutes of exercise a day alternating between body weight and compound weights. Seems to me like this would do the trick.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-21-2013 at 08:06 AM.

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast