Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: Why can't I look like Mark Sisson!?!?! page 26

Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Hi Mark!

(Well, I'd be reading if I was him...)
    Mark!!

What kind of shampoo/conditioner do you use??
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    I agree somewhat to this. But my line of thinking is, don't put a band-aid over it. Fix the problem. So if you have a metabolic issue, why not fix your metabolism first? And my first thoughts on doing so is to reduce the amount of stress you bombard your body, not calorically restricting to exacerbate the problem.
    Actually, for me the low carb fixed my metabolism really nicely and I didn't have to restrict my calories, although it just sorta happened anyway.

Before I did it, I tried just reducing calories and exercising but I was always hungry so I would either be starving over a HUGE dry salad and crying or stuffing my face with a muffin and hating myself. The low carb took the hunger away. And I don't mean that it was some kind of gimmick where it limited the choices so I couldn't eat crap. It literally took all the hunger away. I had this chronic hunger leftover from hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, 30 miles a day, that just would not go away and poof in an instant that hunger was over. I could eat three meals a day like a normal person. I could even eat two or just one. I didn't even have to exercise to lose weight.

Now I eat lots of carbs and it doesn't seem to trigger any excessive hunger or anything like it used to. Something was fixed. I know it because it's my life and I can feel that something is fixed. I didn't end up with a body like Mark, even though I lift weights, sprint, move slowly and all that. Oh well. Don't have hair like that either. Not everybody is going to end up like that. That's just the reality of it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Bit late to the party derp! Me and Choco were hashing out an isocaloric study he posted....I'm of the mind the researchers stating "no statistical difference..." and "There was no significant change in fat free mass for either diet." tend to speak loudly. Past few pages if you'd like to read. Talking about a singular metabolic process in a vacuum is quite different than what happens in an organism as a whole.
    I'll concede on that point, that experimental phases haven't been fleshed out enough in vivo to substantiate either claim as far as results go. Doesn't really refute what happens metabolically though.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Also, caloric restriction isn't the big evil that you're making it out to be.
    It's actually considered to be healthy and to promote longevity.

My metabolism was wrecked. It's actually improving.
    Just like the rest of my health... skin, neurological function, physical abilities, ect.
    I do not doubt this at all. But I think there are positives and negatives to everything, so is the health and longevity you are seeing worth the cost of something else that is potentially harmful? So you just have to pick and choose your poisons in the end.

I'm not giving a blanket statement, necessarily, on the fact that low carb or low cal or whatever is bad for you. I am just pointing out that there may be some bad things about it, and everyone should know about both sides of the coin before choosing the path that they want to take. And for myself, I'd rather not take the low-cal route, but try to fix my metabolism first.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Actually, for me the low carb fixed my metabolism really nicely and I didn't have to restrict my calories, although it just sorta happened anyway.
    I know your story pretty well, and it seems to me that you still don't really know if the reason why your metabolism improved is due to eating whole foods or low carb.

That isn't a fixed metabolism, that's symptoms of adrenaline lowering your appetite

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    That isn't a fixed metabolism, that's symptoms of adrenaline lowering your appetite
    You do understand that in life there are many causes of stress and fatigue... all of which can cause the release and a high reading of a adrenaline test.

For instance of a person is feeling binges triggered every day by a sugary diet that could be incredibly stressful for them...

And also that not every person who goes low carb ever has a high reading on any of the tests such as cortisol, adrenaline, or CO2... EVER. Those are outliers... not the norm.

Their are also a crap load of things that can cause high cortisol production...

Low CO2 is simply out of whack electrolytes... every HFLC'er I know is right on top of advocating making sure that people get in their bone broth and salt and such to maintain that.
    I don't consume sodium myself except for the bare minimum, but I do take potassium sups, and I actually have my CO2 tested... and guess what... always perfect!

Oversimplification is lame.

Also... SB is no longer Low Carb... she eats all sords of potatoes and stuff now, yet her ridiculously high out of control hunger did not return after she left low carb behind.

Read the whole thing. It's not "adrenaline" causing her lowered hunger. Seriously.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I like the way every person thumps their own bible of metabolic pathways. Oh, enzyme Z metabolizes nutrient J but only on Sunday and when the cat is watching. Frankly, I don't buy ANY of it anymore. N=1 really is king. Even IF my gut is imperfect, avoiding starch DOES make sense. Eating excess fruit just DID make me fatter, and eating fat (and higher protein) made me thin. Eating a whole bar of dark chocolate here and there is no big deal, anymore than sprinting affects stress in the long-haul. We've over-thought this, and I think I'm getting off this train soon. Where are all the hipsters heading next, anyway? Video editing? That seems freshly expired enough for the general masses to take up and feel original about...

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

You do understand that in life there are many causes of stress and fatigue... all of which can cause the release and a high reading of a adrenaline test.

For instance of a person is feeling binges triggered every day by a sugary diet that could be incredibly stressful for them...

And also that not every person who goes low carb ever has a high reading on any of the tests such as cortisol, adrenaline, or CO2... EVER. Those are outliers... not the norm.

Their are also a crap load of things that can cause high cortisol production...

Low CO2 is simply out of whack electrolytes... every HFLC'er I know is right on top of advocating making sure that people get in their bone broth and salt and such to maintain that.
    I don't consume sodium myself except for the bare minimum, but I do take potassium sups, and I actually have my CO2 tested... and guess what... always perfect!

Oversimplification is lame.

Also... SB is no longer Low Carb... she eats all sords of potatoes and stuff now, yet her ridiculously high out of control hunger did not return after she left low carb behind.

Read the whole thing. It's not "adrenaline" causing her lowered hunger. Seriously.
    The difference is the shift from adaptive to dysadaptive. Without proper diet, stress response becomes a self-promoting cycle and it's far more likely to promote inflammation and continuous degeneration. They're your adaptive hormones for a reason. Assuming adequate health and diet, stress response reacts to situations then dials down appropriately causing no discomfort, long-term harm, or noticeable inflammation/side effects.

You talk about oversimplification, then mention low co2 as only a symptom of messed up electrolytes? Co2 promotes cellular respiration.

When carbon dioxide production is low, because of hypothyroidism, there will usually be some lactate entering the blood even at rest, because adrenalin and noradrenalin are produced in large amounts to compensate for hypothyroidism, and the adrenergic stimulation, besides mobilizing glucose from the glycogen stores, stimulates the production of lactate. The excess production of lactate displaces carbon dioxide from the blood, partly as a compensation for acidity. The increased impulse to breath (“ventilatory drive”) produced by adrenalin makes the problem worse, and lactate can promote the adrenergic response, in a vicious circle.

Citric acid cycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the context of a healthy person(I will use myself as an example here) no one macronutrient causes any sort of abnormal side effects or discomfort. I'm able to eat what I please, when I please. I don't need to drastically lower calorie intake to lose weight, and I'm able to maintain weight eating to satiety and sometimes far beyond.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    I know your story pretty well, and it seems to me that you still don't really know if the reason why your metabolism improved is due to eating whole foods or low carb.
    Before I went low carb I was trying to do some kind of low fat, high carb paleo-ish half-attempt. I had yogurt, fruit and nuts for breakfast, low fat salads or sweet potatoes with cheese for lunch and whatever regular stuff for dinner (pasta sometimes but I tried small portions, Trader Joe's packaged stuff). I struggled with hunger and often gave in to the siren call of the almond croissants down at the coffee cart. The high fat, low carb turned it off instantly and I have not had pasta or almond croissants ever since.

Yeah, here's a couple of recent days if I can remember:
    Monday:
    Scrambled eggs (at a restaurant so who knows what's in it)
    A giant "muffin" made of sweet potato, egg, coconut butter drizzled with a generous portion of honey
    Nuts
    Cheddar cheese
    Giant artichoke with mayonnaise and guacamole
    1/4 roast duck
    Wine
    Chocolate

Yesterday:
    7.5 oz can of salmon
    Giant russet potato
    Half a quart of plain, full-fat goat yogurt
    Quarter pound of smoked salmon
    Extra dark chocolate
    Leftovers: curried rice, fish with Mexican seasoning, a little tuna salad, sweet potato, port cultlet "breaded" with ground almond
    More chocolate
    Wine

I eat pretty big on all macros. I eat a lot more than I used to when I was always hungry but much fatter. Sometimes I go through a phase where I don't eat much for a while. I consider being flexible like that to be pretty much metabolically fixed, although it's possible that there may be some other metabolic problems. I probably still eat too much. But I eat more than I used to and am thinner than when I ate less and always felt hungry so I'm pretty happy.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast