Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Why can't I look like Mark Sisson!?!?! page 11

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Yeah but do you think that telling those of us that our experiences are wrong is OK?
    I don't interpret Choco's posts as telling you that your experience is wrong. I'm sure he would agree with you that eating low-fat for 13 years wrecks your metabolism. I certainly do. You're experiences aren't wrong - there are obvious scientific explanations why and I haven't seen Choco claim otherwise.

He is merely advocating healthier alternatives to eating low-carb long-term, for those who can. And that those who have healed their metabolism can move up to moderate carbs or even high carbs for better long-term health outcomes.

Can you see the irony that a low-carb diet for someone who doesn't need it in the first place is just as unnatural and extreme as the low-fat diets that cause metabolic derangement and require low-carb eating as a cure?
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Because of my particular health issues and medications I have my CO2 tested regularly (bi-monthly to tri-monthly when I see my doc I have to hit the vampires too).
    The normal range for CO2 is 23-29 mEq/L.
    I always test in the 25-28 range... hardly "low".
    My neurologist is very happy.

I'd be willing to bet that my cortisol, adrenaline, serotonin are just fine too.
    BTW, do you know the symptoms that you will generally be showing if your serotonin is high enough to test high, or who your doctor will be referring you to? Just askin.
    Probably the most noticeable symptoms will be mental. Depression, aggression, loss of libido, etc; Serotonin contributes to an increased state of stress hormone elevation, and with tryptophan stimulation it crosses the blood brain barrier.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 01-21-2013 at 01:10 PM.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Oh so I can send my blood back to the US?
    Hmm doubtful. Doesn't matter, am not testing for anything at this stage.
    BTW I have had blood tests in the past, when I felt like crap eating all those amazing carbs. And every thing was "normal" it was the crappy carbs making me feel bad.
    Huh, what? You use the kits to test yourself lol
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I don't interpret Choco's posts as telling you that your experience is wrong. I'm sure he would agree with you that eating low-fat for 13 years wrecks your metabolism. I certainly do. You're experiences aren't wrong - there are obvious scientific explanations why and I haven't seen Choco claim otherwise.

He is merely advocating healthier alternatives to eating low-carb long-term, for those who can. And that those who have healed their metabolism can move up to moderate carbs or even high carbs for better long-term health outcomes.

Can you see the irony that a low-carb diet for someone who doesn't need it in the first place is just as unnatural and extreme as the low-fat diets that cause metabolic derangement and require low-carb eating as a cure?
    He called me a troll and a liar.
    Yes i know not everyone needs to eat low carb.
    Yes I know I damaged my body from years of disordered eating. Low carb high fat is what is fixing this.
    He saids that everyone needs starchy carbs, and he is wrong.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Huh, what? You use the kits to test yourself lol
    I have seen others mention taking blood and sending it an independent lab. We do not have that facility here, that I was able to find. You must go to the Dr for a referral for a blood test.
    Are you not talking about blood tests? How can you test all those blood levels yourself?

I have seen others mention taking blood and sending it an independent lab. We do not have that facility here, that I was able to find. You must go to the Dr for a referral for a blood test.
    Are you not talking about blood tests? How can you test all those blood levels yourself?
    Oh, ok, nvm I got confused. I see what you're saying now.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Probably the most noticeable symptoms will be mental. Depression, aggression, loss of libido, etc; Serotonin contributes to an increased state of stress hormone elevation, and with trytophan stimulation it crosses the blood brain barrier.
    No.
    Things like splotchy redness on face and chest, tightness in chest, palpitations, difficulty regulating body temperature, digestive pain and diarrhea, fatigue... etc.
    High serotonin levels (the type that shows up on tests) is not an indicative test for serotonin of the way we think of it as involves mental well being and the brain.
    And you'll likely be referred to an oncologist. It's an indicator for carcinoid cancer.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think the main ingredient missing is the lack of a good plastic surgeon. Carrie even admits to getting microdermabrasion or something like that. You can google search for that. I live amongst enough arm-candy ladies to know that if they're doing one thing like that they're probably doing another. Even my sister gets a lot of work done and she's just a minivan mom. That's So Cal, that's life in the 'bu.
    There is a lot of truth in this. It's not all or necessarily a plastic surgeon either. I mean, the skin care clinic that I'm looking at is a dermatologist. He does micro derm abrasion, botox, thread lifts, and the various laser treatments.

I have a lot of little capillary breaks on my face, and I'm looking at getting that treated with the laser treatment. The dermatologist is also talking about scar removal (resurfacing) on my chest, but i'm not sure that's necessary for me. I'm also considering tattoo removal (same treatment as the capillaries). It's actually extremely affordable ($80/treatment with 1 treatment for capillaries, and 3-4 treatments for the tattoo).

I know that it's a lot of money for some, but for me, saving up $320 is not that difficult for something that I want, and, it's once-and-done really.

I do as much as I can naturally, and take good care of myself, but sometimes a little help goes a long way.

No, I don't know where there is a lab patient center in Australia sorry

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Choco, are you reading any of my posts? Really?
    I spent a lot of time on low fat, brown rice, etc etc, lean meats, and I felt like crap ALL THE TIME. And I didn't always lose weight either. I have tried it all. OK
    Please do not tell me I have not tried. I have spent 13 years trying to fix my body, following all sorts of peoples advice.
    This way of life is the only way that has worked with losing any weight, which is a secondary priority. My health issues that never would go away, are nearly all gone.
    Please do not tell me I haven't tried, just don't.

The recent experiment was just one meal so I could show you, and those other 2, that I don't want to eat starchy carbs as they don't make me feel good. I am not going to persist with that, because I KNOW.
    I would feel horrible on low fat and brown rice as well. Low fat is just as problematic as low carb, if not more problematic since fats are more essential. I'd recommend low carbohydrate dieting over low fat dieting any day to virtually anyone.

It all comes down to individual food choices. There is very little nutrition in chicken breast and brown rice. That is some awful quality insoluble grain fiber for your gut and it is strongly linked to colon cancer due to the abrasions it causes to your intestines as it...passes. Brown rice is one of nature's greatest source of phytic acid, so what little nutrition you're getting from that diet isn't being absorbed by your body. This will be further compounded by your low intake of quality fats, so whatever fat soluble vitamins are still bioavailable after they make it past the phytate can't be absorbed efficiently. Prolonged low fat diets can be an absolute disaster, especially in the presence of grain carbohydrate.

Low carbohydrate diets generally do not suffer as badly because they inherently eliminate grains, legumes and sugary junk foods due to the carb count. You accidentally wind up eating more meat and vegetables, which increases the bioavailability of vitamins and, obviously, increases the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins. Low carbohydrate diets are going to be superior strictly by accident in almost all cases. But the effects still slowly creep up. Generally, you wind up taking in too great of an amount of polyunsaturated fat and your CO2 production falls (due to less robust mitochondria forced to solely produce energy from FFA's). Your thyroid slows, your adrenals lag, adrenaline increases, serotonin increases, you lose sleep quality, digestion becomes impaired as gut bacteria declines due to the lack of fermentable sugars in your diet, you begin to develop food sensitivities (like lactose intolerance) due to the gut flora die-off, weight gain begins to occur as your metabolic rate decreases...it is a slower road, but it happens to a lot of low carbers.

What I am simply stating is to give all food groups a fair shake. There are a handful of people where low carbohydrate dieting is truly medicinal, but they're in a minority, and unfortunately, some may really be too far gone from years of abusive dieting and poor lifestyle control. But it is very important to not let the tiny outliers outweigh the voices of the people that can be saved. Most of us can be saved, and we're doing more harm than good by avoiding perfectly healthy food. I try and speak for those people, because their voices are often drowned out as they're not zealots like the outliers tend to be.

He called me a troll and a liar.
    Yes i know not everyone needs to eat low carb.
    Yes I know I damaged my body from years of disordered eating. Low carb high fat is what is fixing this.
    He saids that everyone needs starchy carbs, and he is wrong.
    You were eating poor quality carbs and restricting fats. Low carb primal is going to kick the pants off of low fat and grain carbohydrate. Be metered. Eggs and sweet potatoes =/= defatted chicken breast and oatmeal. They're two totally different beasts.

You also can't stick to a ketogenic diet for weeks, then dump in 3-4 sweet potatoes in a sitting and be upset when you bloat. 3-4 of almost anything in one sitting is probably too much, and when you combine fat and carbohydrate, that's when you'll see the most bloat of all as it's easiest to overeat in the presence of both. Greasy, fatty starch...that is a recipe for overeating...a delicious, delicious recipe for overeating...ommmmmmmm.....
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 01-21-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast