Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower Carb Side Effects? page

Alison is offline Member

Lower Carb Side Effects?

Shop Now
    Ok, so I can't stand to eat sugar any longer, in any form. Dates, fruit, sweet potatoes, bananas, dark chocolate etc. There is no "moderation" for me...I eat a piece and I want more. That being said everytime I try to cut sugar from my diet I get severe symptoms. I have cut sugar before (2011) and didn't have anything but headaches, but it is completely different now. I get morning/night sweats, rapid heartbeat(upon waking), almost like an anxiety attack or something...anyone else have/had these problems?...and what I can do about them? What was everyones symptoms like when you took the "no sugar" plunge? I get kind of scared when these things start so I rarely make it past 3 days..the third day is usually when it starts. Any comments would be most helpful

Zach is offline Banned
    Why would you want to cut out sugar completely? Those symptoms are common with a rise in stress hormones from lack of carbohydrates.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    I'm currently doing another round of lowering my carbs for the next week or so. I'm doing it to drop some water weight that came on suddenly since last month through diet and RX reduction.

Every time I drop my carbs, I sleep much less. 3-6 hours and boom, wide awake and heart racing. And I get restless body syndrome, which I call "blood itch." it feels like every nerve in body is firing signals at once. Could be my electrolytes, so I'll take some Natural Calm magnesium supplement which might help.

I can't do this long-term because this feeling never fully goes away even after a month or more. I'll tolerate it while shedding water weight, though.

When you say want more fruit, potatoes, etc., is this bad because it makes you gain weight? If so, just decrease your fat intake to make up for it. Carbs are perfectly fine in context, it just depends on why you find them to be a problem.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Alison is offline Member
    I just feel like I am dependent on those things..and when I say "sugar" I mean like the insulin spikers. I will continue to eat whatever veggie strikes my fancy, but all those 'in moderation' foods...I just cant do it. I want to be able to eat an omelet with a heaping plate of vegetables for breakfast, BA Salad for lunch, and steak and steamed spinach with butter for dinner and not get those symptoms. It seems like I have wrecked my metabolism. If I ate (the above) for three days straight with no additional sugars (fruit/potatoes etc) I know I would have sugar withdrawal. I just think my body is majorly dependent on glucose.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    The only thing nearing what you describe I ever had surrounding foods was hypoglycemic attacks from not eating if I went too long between meals back when I ate low fat/high carb CW where I ate sort of on the 3 small meals and a couple of snacks model.

If I missed a meal or snack time I would turn into a shaking, rapid heart beat, sweating, angry freak.
    The meals and snacks were not necessarily sugar, like chocolate, obviously... but carb/starch heavy.

I no longer feel that way at all.
    I transitioned to Primal eating very slowly so I never felt the immediate "loss" of giving up all the carb foods because it's easier that way, and also because it's not necessary for everyone to go low carb to lose weight or get healthy on Primal.

I did end up going HFLC, but that is simply because it's what works better for me in my situation.
    Because I transitioned slowly over time, it was never a problem, and I never felt panicky giving things up.
    Not even the chocolate.

I say relax and slow down...
    You don't really need to give up all the "sugar" at once, even if you plan on giving it all up at some point later.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Alison is offline Member
    and yes consuming the 'in moderation'foods does make me gain weight...I just know that when I go LC that I'm never hungry, and I love that feeling. When I eat (said foods), I'm eating again within a couple of hours.

Timthetaco is offline Senior Member
    Ope, nevermind. I have nothing to contribute to discussions of addiction or satiety.
    Endotoxins (under construction)

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Every time I drop my carbs, I sleep much less. 3-6 hours and boom, wide awake and heart racing. And I get restless body syndrome, which I call "blood itch." it feels like every nerve in body is firing signals at once. Could be my electrolytes, so I'll take some Natural Calm magnesium supplement which might help.
    That's me to a T the past few years on LC. Went away on the Tater Trials we did a while back, came back with LC. I've been eating potatoes every day as part of regular meals and sleeping like a friggin' baby! No water weight gain, in fact been more stable than when I was LC and would eat off-plan.

Don't confuse starch with sugar. Nothing wrong with eating some potatoes and rice every day. It can even be part of a LC diet, as 1 med potato only has about 40g carbs. If you are shooting for 50-100g, you'd be better getting your carbs from potato or rice than fruit and sweet veggies.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    and yes consuming the 'in moderation'foods does make me gain weight...I just know that when I go LC that I'm never hungry, and I love that feeling. When I eat (said foods), I'm eating again within a couple of hours.
    Low carb is good for that! I agree.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    The symptoms you described in the OP are generally carb flu symptoms, which are common and usually subside after 3-4 weeks for most people. You would have to see it through to get past it if you really like avoiding a high carb intake. I don't believe low-carb is necessarily a better state to be in, but if you think the benefits outweigh the downsides and make you feel better than the alternative, then you'll just have to wait it out and hope you get back to being symptom-free in one direction or another. One important factor of reducing carbs is to compensate with lots of fat.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast