Thread: Protein requirements for men page

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member

Got my answer.

Shop Now
    Got my answer thanks.
    Last edited by Ayla2010; 01-18-2013 at 10:04 PM.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    0.7 - 1 gram per LEAN pound of bodymass (nobody is 0% bodyfat) is great for muscle maitinance for both men and women. I'd recommend that if you're not working out you stick to the lower end of that scale (0.7 grams) and if you do workout you could go a little higher (0.9 - 1 grams). Then, of course, if you're lifting and trying to gain, you might even go a bit higher.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    See the "Eat More Fat" thread above.

Here is a quote from the OP
    From the work of Dr Jan Kwasniewski author of The Optimal Diet.
    First you figure up your IDEAL weight in KILOS. This is not necessarily the weight you are aiming for but it it your Ultimate HSIS (Hot Stuff In Swimwear) weight.
    HSIS weight in kilos plus/minus 10% = range for protein grams/day
    HSIS weight in kilos divided by 2 = upper end for carb grams/day
    The rest of your diet is fat. HSIS weight in kilos x anywhere from 2 to 3.5 depending on your weight goals (lower to lose, higher to gain)

Paleobird Guest
    For the metrically challenged, we are talking about a guy who is 5'8" and weighs 135, Ayla, I don't think you really need to worry about exact macro ratios for him right now. You just need to FEED him.

thanks PB, we worked out that was probably better, he just doens't seem to eat enough while at work, so Ill make his lunch for him, he hasn't been taking enough.

Cryptocode, I am following that thread myself, but did not think that was right for him.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Figure like this:
    To gain muscle you only need 60-120 grams of protein per day. Any more than that doesn't help, at least that's what the studies show. I would assume that for general health you wouldn't necessarily need that much. However, that doesn't mean that there would be a problem with consuming more than that.

That would go right along with what PB said, that it isn't necessarily an ideal macronutrient ratio. And I agree.

Also note that his weight is actually ideal in order to ensure a long life. Just because folks in the USA are typically heavier than that, it doesn't mean it's healthy; it isn't healthy and it isn't normal.

Now if he wanted to get bigger and stronger on the other hand, that's a different story. I'd recommend resistance training.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    Figure like this:
    To gain muscle you only need 60-120 grams of protein per day. Any more than that doesn't help, at least that's what the studies show. I would assume that for general health you wouldn't necessarily need that much. However, that doesn't mean that there would be a problem with consuming more than that.

That would go right along with what PB said, that it isn't necessarily an ideal macronutrient ratio. And I agree.

Also note that his weight is actually ideal in order to ensure a long life. Just because folks in the USA are typically heavier than that, it doesn't mean it's healthy; it isn't healthy and it isn't normal.

Now if he wanted to get bigger and stronger on the other hand, that's a different story. I'd recommend resistance training.
    He is not currently interested in getting bigger and stronger unfortunately, but I am working on that
    For now we just need to maintain his weight, he lost 11 kg since we went primal the first time.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    0.7 - 1 gram per LEAN pound of bodymass (nobody is 0% bodyfat) is great for muscle maitinance for both men and women. I'd recommend that if you're not working out you stick to the lower end of that scale (0.7 grams) and if you do workout you could go a little higher (0.9 - 1 grams). Then, of course, if you're lifting and trying to gain, you might even go a bit higher.
    Here women are "recommended" to eat 35g/day. Needless to say, I just ignored it. I've been logging my macronutrient intake over the past few days (personal project). Not controlling it, just making notes at the end of the day. The lowest protein I ate was 66g. The highest was 130g. Averaging 96g/day over the course of 12 days, but usually eating 70-85g. Just used the 0.7 per lean pound thing. 73g a day.
    On the "recommended" amount I likely wouldn't have been building any muscle and may have risked losing more during stress days. On the amount I'm eating, I am maintaining over stress days and growing on days when I'm more relaxed. RDAs are a mindfuck.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    Here women are "recommended" to eat 35g/day.
    Wow, how is this even possible? Unless maybe you're vegan? I'm not a huge meat eater, but even the 5oz of steak I had for dinner would have put me over. Mindfuck is right.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    Here women are "recommended" to eat 35g/day. Needless to say, I just ignored it. I've been logging my macronutrient intake over the past few days (personal project). Not controlling it, just making notes at the end of the day. The lowest protein I ate was 66g. The highest was 130g. Averaging 96g/day over the course of 12 days, but usually eating 70-85g. Just used the 0.7 per lean pound thing. 73g a day.
    On the "recommended" amount I likely wouldn't have been building any muscle and may have risked losing more during stress days. On the amount I'm eating, I am maintaining over stress days and growing on days when I'm more relaxed. RDAs are a mindfuck.
    My provided value wasn't a recommended daily value from the USDA or any bullshit like that. It was a figure Mark gave a while back as a target goal that has served me well. And again, it's all individual depending on your activity level, stress levels, overall health, ect.

I believe that everything is individual and has to be taken within your own personal context of course.