Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Severe DOMS after Crossfit WODs page 2

samknox is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by SophieScreams View Post
    There are people of every fitness level and age at my box, and we are very closely supervised by the trainers. I've even had a trainer stop me mid-WOD and make me take weight off the bar! I do not feel that I am overtraining in any way.There are women at my box who are small-boned and "strong like ox."

This feels like a nutritional deficiency. I didn't CF as a SAD person, so I can't compare paleo in that way, but I trained like a mad woman on my own before adopting paleo and was never in this much pain.
    I think you're trying pretty hard to evade the obvious.

When it comes time to renew your membership, just keep in mind that there isn't a shred of evidence that Crossfit is superior in any way to any other training method for any measure of fitness and, for any measure of fitness, there are safer and cheaper alternatives.

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by samknox View Post
    I think you're trying pretty hard to evade the obvious.

When it comes time to renew your membership, just keep in mind that there isn't a shred of evidence that Crossfit is superior in any way to any other training method for any measure of fitness and, for any measure of fitness, there are safer and cheaper alternatives.
    I don't plan on renewing. And I agree that this is not a training style that can be maintained long-term or the best method out there. Not for me, at least.
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Just saying it's overtraining misunderstands what she's describing, in my opinion. I did get overtrained following Starting Strength. The symptom of that was not chronic DOMS. It was more like I was sleeping 12 hours a night and feeling like I had internal bleeding or something.

With any exercise program that has me do something totally different every time so that I don't exercise the same muscles each week, I end up in a situation where every day is like brand new all over again and I end up always being sore. It's like the brief little bit of movement isn't enough to stimulate lasting strength. It just makes me sore, wears off, then it's so long until the same movement comes around again, that it's like I've never done it before. I don't know if that's what it IS exactly, but that's how it FEELS to me. It sounds to me like the OP is describing something similar, but I could be wrong.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

gt1cm2 is offline Junior Member
    It does feel like newbie-soreness, except I've been at it for 7 months now.

I was wondering about vitamin and mineral deficiencies, the potassium and B12 may be helpful. I already take 250mg mag every day. I don't take multi's since I'm allergic to base metals and they seem to be in every stinkin' multivitamin out there. I'll shop around online, see if it's available that way.
    Yeah, you shouldn't be getting that "newbie" soreness still, yes you should be getting some muscle soreness but your body does become accustomed to it to some degree that's why I think it's more dietary related. Are you getting enough protein?

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Just saying it's overtraining misunderstands what she's describing, in my opinion. I did get overtrained following Starting Strength. The symptom of that was not chronic DOMS. It was more like I was sleeping 12 hours a night and feeling like I had internal bleeding or something.

With any exercise program that has me do something totally different every time so that I don't exercise the same muscles each week, I end up in a situation where every day is like brand new all over again and I end up always being sore. It's like the brief little bit of movement isn't enough to stimulate lasting strength. It just makes me sore, wears off, then it's so long until the same movement comes around again, that it's like I've never done it before. I don't know if that's what it IS exactly, but that's how it FEELS to me. It sounds to me like the OP is describing something similar, but I could be wrong.
    sb, you're right on. It seems like when we're focusing on something like clean and jerks or burpees and they are incorporated into the WOD for a week straight, I adjust very quickly and can recover from that, no problemmo. But throw an entirely new workout at me every day for 3 days straight, and it's brutal. And on that note, it seems that going to 2 or 3 classes on consecutive days is easier than spreading them apart and prolonging the agony.

Saying that exercising for 20 minutes 2 or 3 times a week is overtraining is quite a stretch. I'd also like to say that I'm not showing any other symptoms of overtraining, such as fatigue, insomnia, or chronic hunger, or lack of motivation. Nutrition is the likely culprit, and that's what I was asking for advise on. Maybe I should clarify and say that I train fasted for at least 6 hours and usually wait about an hour to eat. Please don't tell me to eat solid food before either, it makes me upchuck.
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

RobbyJ is offline Member
    sb, you're right on. It seems like when we're focusing on something like clean and jerks or burpees and they are incorporated into the WOD for a week straight, I adjust very quickly and can recover from that, no problemmo. But throw an entirely new workout at me every day for 3 days straight, and it's brutal. And on that note, it seems that going to 2 or 3 classes on consecutive days is easier than spreading them apart and prolonging the agony.

Saying that exercising for 20 minutes 2 or 3 times a week is overtraining is quite a stretch. I'd also like to say that I'm not showing any other symptoms of overtraining, such as fatigue, insomnia, or chronic hunger, or lack of motivation. Nutrition is the likely culprit, and that's what I was asking for advise on. Maybe I should clarify and say that I train fasted for at least 6 hours and usually wait about an hour to eat. Please don't tell me to eat solid food before either, it makes me upchuck.

Well, there's your problem. You need to eat some food after you work out. You should have a snack a few hours before hand too. If it took you this long to say that you don't eat food... hmm.... I wonder what else you're leaving out... if you want nutrition advice, it would be beneficial for people to read what you normally eat. "Paleo" or "Primal" tells us absolutely nothing about your nutrition.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbyJ View Post
    Well, there's your problem. You need to eat some food after you work out. You should have a snack a few hours before hand too. If it took you this long to say that you don't eat food... hmm.... I wonder what else you're leaving out... if you want nutrition advice, it would be beneficial for people to read what you normally eat. "Paleo" or "Primal" tells us absolutely nothing about your nutrition.
    Nothing wrong with training fasted or waiting over an hour till after she trains to eat. Actually waiting an hour after a strenuous workout is likely to maximize growth hormone anyhow. Heck I do the same. The higher my intensity of work the more likely I am to wait on eating. As long as she's getting the nutrition necessary in her meals when it does come time to eat this shouldn't present a problem.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I agree with what some others have said: I think there's a muscle imbalance or some kind of wonky proprioception issues going on. You should not be that sore after 7 months of doing this. Unless you're overtraining (which I agree with you that you're not), all you should get is that first 7-10 days of occasional DOMS while your body adjusts, and then you should be good. Chronic, debilitating DOMS means something in your body is not working the way it should, either muscle-wise or nutrition-wise.

A physical therapist could probably help shed some light on this.

samknox is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    This is exactly what I said in my first reply. Frequent, high-intensity training with novel exercises is a prescription for muscle soreness.

It's also Crossfit in a nutshell.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Nothing wrong with training fasted or waiting over an hour till after she trains to eat. Actually waiting an hour after a strenuous workout is likely to maximize growth hormone anyhow. Heck I do the same. The higher my intensity of work the more likely I am to wait on eating. As long as she's getting the nutrition necessary in her meals when it does come time to eat this shouldn't present a problem.
    You are on point here. The idea that one must eat immediately after a workout is nonsense. It was propagated by the supplement industry to sell protein powders and the like. I bought into it (literally) for a long time. Not anymore. When you are done a hard workout, your body is in a state of WTF just happened. Kind of a state of shock and there are all sorts of chemical reactions going on, waste products being removed etc. You are not ready for food at this point. What I do now is simply wait until I'm hungry. Then I know that its time to start feeding the recovery.

I also train fasted almost all the time unless I'm forced to train later in the day for some reason. It doesn't affect my workout in any way whatsoever.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast