Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lesser of Two Evils page

krmsande is offline Junior Member

Lesser of Two Evils

Primal Fuel
    Listen, I understand that cereal is not primal, and I personally will not eat it. However, I have three children (ages 7, 5 and 3). They have made HUGE strides in their eating habits over the past year and a half, but breakfast is tough. They eat bacon, grass-fed hot dogs, and sausage, but they also want some cereal with their mandatory protein options. Which is the lesser of two evils...gluten-free chex (made with very unorganic corn) or organic cheerios, made with organic wheat? One day the cereal will be gone, but we are taking it slow as far as the kids are concerned. Thanks.
    Last edited by krmsande; 01-18-2013 at 12:27 PM.

otzi Guest
    What about rice cereal? But if I had to choose between corn and wheat, I'd pick corn.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    i'd pick corn over wheat, and rice over corn
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    To echo and reiterate: rice>corn>wheat. And I wouldn't sweat giving rice cereal with whole milk to kids that age a couple times a week as part of an otherwise nutrient-dense diet.

Rice cereal - how have I not thought of that (hand slap on forehead)? I will be on search for some that the kids will like. thanks for input!

@RichMahogany, your answer brings up another question. I used to be so proud that my kids drank skim milk. Once my husband and I went primal over 18 months ago, I tried switching to whole milk for them and they didn't go for it, so I compromised with 2% milk. Is 2% worth my time, or should I REALLY be forcing whole?

I just spoke to my boy, Crackle. He can get you a deal on a couple kilo's of excellent stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by krmsande View Post
    @RichMahogany, your answer brings up another question. I used to be so proud that my kids drank skim milk. Once my husband and I went primal over 18 months ago, I tried switching to whole milk for them and they didn't go for it, so I compromised with 2% milk. Is 2% worth my time, or should I REALLY be forcing whole?
    My main concerns with fat-reduced milk are the actual fat-reducing process more than the macronutrient issue. REALLY don't feed your poor kids that defatted, bleached, chemically-processed junk.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    skim, 2% and whole milk all taste very different. when your tongue is accustomed to whole or 2% then skim tastes watery and sweet and gross

i imagine it just tastes weird to them right now, but if you want to bump up the milk fat content then add it to the cereal and it won't be too noticable
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When we went Primal, I transitioned the kids using gluten-free alternatives, like GF cereal, waffles, bread, and crackers. Eventually, those things became just treats, and now we hardly buy them. Now I make paleo/primal pancakes and muffins instead of the waffles or cereal. While almond flour is expensive, many recipes use mashed banana/sweet potato/pumpkin/etc. and not much flour. My 4yo loves these muffins, I omit the walnuts and increase the carrots a bit, and sometimes use dried cranberries instead of raisins. Paleo Morning Glory Muffins

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast