Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lesser of Two Evils page 2

Cha
    Cha is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Be sure you aren't just looking for gluten free, also check to see if there are preservatives. I stick to organic rice cereal for my kids. They love it and don't notice they aren't getting Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs. The brand they love is Koala Crisp.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    We have been doing primal pancakes (egg, milk, rice and or almond flour, applesauce or banana, cinnamon, vanilla extract) and recently having some fun: piggy pancakes. Make three cakes, medium, small, and tiny. Put the medium one on a plate (this is the head) add the small one on top, offset toward the edge (this is the snout). Cut the tiny one in half to make two ears that slip under the top edge of the medium cake. Use two blueberries, raisins, or whatever for two nostrils and two more for eyes. Drizzle with maple syrup. Watch your kid have fun. It's not bacon, but it is a far cry from captain crunch.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Mix the the 2% with the whole milk and over time increase the percent of whole milk until they don't know the difference
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Swap corn chex for rice chex

krmsande is offline Junior Member
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback. I will start mixing the whole and 2% milk together, and try to find a good cereal that they will eat. I tend to stay away from most "gluten free" packaged alternatives that you can buy because I find that they still have so much crap in them it that it isn't worth it! Even though we have been primal for 18 months, I find stuff slowly creeps back in with the kids if you aren't careful. I just did another sweep of the pantry and tossed tons of stuff - got rid of all candies and foods that contained food dyes once and for all. I too make some good almond flour muffins and pancakes - and I can always get one or two kids to eat them, but never all three! Damn, being a mom is a pita....

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    Mix the the 2% with the whole milk and over time increase the percent of whole milk until they don't know the difference
    This is a good approach. Children should not be given anything low fat, they need plenty of fat for their brains. Nora Gedgaudas explains it in her book Primal Body Primal Mind.

Primal Body-Primal Mind | Beyond The Paleo Diet

Also Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride says we should emphasize animal fats in children's diets.

krmsande is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    This is a good approach. Children should not be given anything low fat, they need plenty of fat for their brains. Nora Gedgaudas explains it in her book Primal Body Primal Mind.

Primal Body-Primal Mind | Beyond The Paleo Diet

Also Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride says we should emphasize animal fats in children's diets.
    My kids do get a good amount of animal fats. We have been so focused on getting them to eat the meat, that some other things have fallen to the wayside. Now that they are all pretty good meat eaters (bacon, grass-fed hot dogs, pork, chicken, ground beef, steak, they will eat it all - my daughter with some minimal complaining so now I am starting to focus on vegetables this year. Let me tell you, there has been many tears and gagging at my dinner table since the new year!! Oye...

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i would do GF as well, and then slowly reduce them.

DS gets bread at school (it's part of the schooling process), but it's GF so i'm ok on it.

CrazyCatLady is offline Member
    We have been at this since August. I make sausages or eggs for my kids for breakfast, but it isn't enough and they want more. My oldest, 13, eats flaxseed and coconut flakes with milk, heated. Sometimes she puts nuts or dried fruits in. My two younger ones don't like that. So I have gotten rid of the raisin bran, and now get chex corn and rice cereals, rice crisps and corn flakes. One of the boys will eat oatmeal. My goal for them is to get them wheat/gluten free. After we have that, then I will go for grain free slowly. My daughter read Primal Blueprint with me this summer (had to fight her to get the book so I could read it!) and she is convinced that it is the way to go.

Sinic is offline Junior Member
    krmsande-
    Gradually add whole milk, by "diluting" the 2% with whole, gradually increasing the ratio of whole milk to 2%. In a couple of weeks, you should be able to give them just plain whole milk. Also, what another reply said, will work best if the milk is in something like cereal, rather than just a glass of it, but that can be gradually changed over the same way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast