Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Confused... low carb isn't primal, correct? page

maelynn is offline Junior Member

Confused... low carb isn't primal, correct?

Primal Fuel
    Apologize for the newbie question.
    I'm going through the forums and noticing many recipes have cream and cream cheese and mozzarella and things like that. Don't those count as dairy and so are not included in the Primal approach?

Thanks a bunch!

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal is indeed not low carb ... however cream has negligible carbs hence you are clearly very confused indeed.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Thanks for the quick reply!

So I should avoid the recipes that include those things even though they're in the Primal recipes section of the forums, right?

Quote Originally Posted by maelynn View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply!

So I should avoid the recipes that include those things even though they're in the Primal recipes section of the forums, right?
    If you can handle dairy and you wish to eat them, eat them. If not, not.

Dairy's one of the Primal "fuzzy zones."

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Paleo says no dairy, primal is okay with it
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    the primal blueprint--as invented by mark sisson--is low carb compared to the standard american diet. it's not atkins/southbeach low carb, but mark's recommendations for carbohydrates land in the 50-150 grams per day range. that said, there are plenty of people on this forum who eat plenty of primal/paleo carbohydrates, like sweet potatoes, and do just fine.

dairy is also part of the primal plan. that is one of the differences between primal and paleo. we're a little less strict.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Primal isn't necessarily low-carb, but it can be. It's usually lower carb than most people eat. You can have lots of sweet potatoes and squash and other starchy carbs and still be primal.

Dairy, like white rice, is in a gray area, where some people react differently, and you have to gauge how your body reacts in order to decide if you want to keep it or not.

You've completely cleared up the confusion. I was confusing paleo (also new to me) and Primal and somehow missed the difference as I'm reading through the copious amount of material trying to learn more. THANK YOU!!!

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Primal isn't necessarily low-carb, but it can be. It's usually lower carb than most people eat. You can have lots of sweet potatoes and squash and other starchy carbs and still be primal.
    Needed to be said twice. Emphasis added.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The Primal way of eating (only part of the Primal blueprint) DOES advocate a low carb diet that avoids starches like sweet potatoes. Many people on the forum ignore this which is fine. The PB is just a blueprint, not a gospel.

Low carb != zero carb or very low carb

the way of eating is keteogenic (majority of energy derived from gluconeogensis of protein/fat) which primes the pump for intermittent fasting, lowered blood glucose levels which is a very large part of the Primal Blueprint -- the modelling of the ancesteral metabolism which we are designed for.

Yes Mark Sission advocates a low carb diet - I've heard him, in person, advocate a low carb diet -- the PB advocates a low carb diet. He even goes so far to insinuate that the average person should avoid tubers, rice except for athletes. He had a quote along the lines of "Sweet potatoes are okay -- good luck on that marathon you are eating them for".

Paleo is not, by nature, a lower carb diet, Primal is.
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 01-18-2013 at 11:52 AM.
    ad astra per aspera

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast