Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing: the No Plastic Diet page

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member

Introducing: the No Plastic Diet

Shop Now
    I have a friend who has invented her own diet. She is an avid surfer and one of her biggest pet peeves is picking up plastic on the beach. She can't help but pick it up if she sees any and she's noticed how bleepin much of it is strewn about the beach. So she has decided to never buy anything that is packaged in plastic. She gets most of her food at the farmers market now and has lost about 8 pounds just by not eating food that comes in plastic packaging! (I suppose surfing every day doesn't hurt either)

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    Interesting concept. Makes sense especially if thats what you see all the time on the beach.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Whenever I buy produce I always just put it in my basket without the plastic bag, I'll be washing it anyway.

/contributed

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I, for one, do not eat plastic. Ever. No need for the 80/20 rule on that one.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    LOL. Good way of avoiding packaged things.

I have to use produce bags if I go to the market (we go to the commissary and they get all riled if you don't), but I'm going to be getting resusable produce bags soon, to add to my reusable grocery bags. Probably some reusable snack type bags to replace ziplocs too. There's some decent sources out there (and you can make your own, but I need a sewing machine!)
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Shine is offline Member
    Great idea! The only thing that I buy in plastic anymore is a weekly tub of organic salad greens. Even then, I'm still looking for a better farmer's market when I move to Austin this summer and hopefully drop this last "packaged" food item from my list.

Wait, I lied...I occasionally buy some frozen berries and broccoli in plastic bags, as well. Still, the "no plastic" rule seems a good way to easily avoid lots of processed food; whole food doesn't generally come in a package.

grandma is offline Member
    From a health point of view the "no cardboard" diet might be a better mantra, but as she does it at the farmers market works too.
    It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Shine is offline Member
    Good point, Sir Grandma (I felt it necessary to address you by your soon-to-be restored title!), Pop-Tarts come in plastic-free cardboard packaging and are the probably one of the least desirable foods in the entire grocery store.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    And Stabby, going by your picture, I hope you don't wash your produce in a creek.

NicoB is offline Senior Member
    If you go by his picture I'd me more worried about what else he does in the creek... :-P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast