I need advice on a stuck kidney stone. It hit me with pain on December 11th. Several days later I was in the ER. I have had a 3mm stone 8 years ago that I passed with no problems. This stone is 4mm and they felt I could pass it. If I didn’t I was to go to a Urologist. It didn't and I went to the one the hospital recommended. He gave me Flomax which I was on for 17 days.

The stone is stuck in the left ureter a couple of centimeters from the bladder. There have been several xrays over the past few weeks to show this. The Doctor stated it was likely not to move anymore and that laser outpatient surgery is needed along with a temporary stint. He is very hard to talk to about this. By this I mean he is removed and seems jaded. He offers no advice and it is like pulling teeth to get anything out of him. He told me if I left the stone in and if it blocked the ureter I could face kidney failure.

My wife is concerned due to horror stories she has read about infections from stints. We had a family member almost die from a stint infection. We used to have group health insurance through my wife until her company went out of business. We currently have an individual policy with a high deductible. That deductible reset on January 1st. The Doctor said the estimated cost of the laser treatment is $13k-$17k. So with the ER from December and then this we are being hit twice.

For alternative treatments I have tried the following:
-8oz of lemon juice followed by an oz of lemon juice each hour for a total of 12 hours. Each one was mixed with 8oz of water.
-After several days of that I then went to lemon juice & olive oil. 2oz ea mixed together several times per day.

Any advice is appreciated. I am in no pain nor suffering any other problems. Anyone that has had a stone stuck in them? How long and were there any problems? Is there anything else I can do?