Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hypothyroid page 3

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    In psychiatry, an old-fashioned but well-studied augmenting medicine we use for depression is cytomel (T3). Psychiatrists have been using it for years, and it is thought to increase the sensitivity of the serotonin receptors, but who knows. I've never seen it work except in patients who are already hypothyroid, but euthyroid by the typical tests and on synthroid already. I always wonder if what I'm really doing it catching all the poor hypothyroid patients who don't respond to synthroid or have poor conversion. I've had endocrinologists tell my patients to stop the T3 immediately (even with normal blood test results!), btw. The endos never even had the courtesy to call me to ask what reasoning I might have to prescribe T3. And some of those patients were feeling better. It's a cheap medicine, and it works.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Cytomel is the bomb. That's all I got to say about that.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Tee
    Tee is offline Senior Member
    Do you need a perception for Cytomel? Also where can one buy it?

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    cytomel is a prescription medicine, at least in the US, available (by prescription) at pretty much any pharmacy.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I'm finding the psychiatric use of Cytomel so very interesting. I've been on 15 mcg. of Cytomel for about a year because of my low T3 (not converting adequately with my Hashimoto's) and although I've never been really depressed, I was always easily annoyed by both small and big things. Lately, I've been finding myself in much more 'mellow' moods and much less anxious about 'little things.' I attributed it to old age (I'm 68), but perhaps it's the Cytomel!

I dunno, but the cytomel has been awesomeness!! I also have conversion issues, and it makes ALL the difference in how I feel. I went without for a week once because I ran out and couldn't get to the base to fill it (hub's in the navy), and i noticed within one day. I was more tired.. and irritable, tho that could be from the tired!

Em, maybe the original easily annoyed came from the lack of T3? I wonder that myself as I had the same thing... just easily irritatable. Now, most of the time, I'm like "meh, whatever." Interesting...
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

fuhcq2 is offline Junior Member

hey

My mom is officially off her thyroid medication...I am not doctor but this is what we did

Water fast once a week or more(only clean water to help reset digestive tract) ...see intermittent fasting also on marks main site.

No sugars or grains etc....typical primal and very low carb like some have already mentioned.

Think meat + marks big ass salad.

do high protein. Tyrosine(amino acid is very helpful for thyroid function)

Iodoral brand iodine supplement.

Boku superfood - superfood supplement with sea veges, single cell algae and a bunch of other stuff

i gave her an herb mix that i made myself with ashwaganda(adaptogen) rhodiola(stimulates thyroid) eleuthro(siberian ginseng)...another adaptogen

good luck

apple cider vinegar before meals - apparently helps with digestions....also apparently...hypothyroid is caused in many cases by digestion issues. fix you gut and see if that helps!

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I hope you plan to have her blood tested in a couple of months to insure that her thyroid levels are optimum. Personally, I would never cease an Rx without a physician's supervision.

I agree that you need to walk a careful line about coming off meds. Not saying she shouldn't be by any means, that is my eventual goal as well. And I do agree that thyroid issues can be caused by digestive issues (i.e. insulin resistance and leaky gut) and fixing the diet can definitely help thyroid function, and possibly fix the original cause in some people.

However, thyroid issues can also come from other sources, and while all of the diet/supplement changes will aid in recovery (and eating crap and being vitamin deficient definitely make it worse), some people may still need supplementation.

Keeping an eye on the labs for a while to make sure the levels are within normal ranges, while keeping track of her symptoms (or lack thereof!) for a while would be a good idea.

It sounds like your mom is feeling tons better... and that myself is a major victory!

fuhcq2 is offline Junior Member
    Oh yeah i should have mentioned that she is going to get tested. She says she feels better than she ever has before though. She talked to a doctor beforehand and did research. She came off it once before a long time ago so she knows what symptoms to look for.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast