Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Hypothyroid page 11

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Em... I did some research on the time release and it appears to be a big ol fail for most folks. Interesting! So, good to know. I'm preparing information for talking with my doc in a couple of weeks. I'll have my labs back this week so I should be able to give them a lookover next week and figure some stuff out. Will figure it all out then...
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I take cytomel, but it is not time release. I can bonk if I forget and take it late.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Minxxa-

Thanks for that info on the time release. Now I don't feel bad that I was too lazy to try it! Since I had such problems when my T3 tanked before I got Cytomel, I don't want to risk anything where its concerned.

Right now, I'm paying double for my Cytomel because my insurance company tries to force everyone to take generics, and, again, I'm reluctant to risk T3 issues (overwhelming fatigue and instant weight gain). On another board, someone reporting doing fine on a T3 generic, but her pharmacy got some from another pharmaceutical company, and that caused her problems. Apparently, the generics can be manufactured by anyone, so you can get differences. Both my endo and my pharmacist encouraged me to stick to what 'is working,' and I'm inclined to agree despite the damn insurance pressure.

Tee
    Tee is offline Senior Member
    Hello gang,

Thank you all for this thread, I'm finding it very interesting.

I'm a 51 YO gentleman with hypo. I've been taking Armour Thyroid for five years. I was at the doc a couple of weeks ago and my TSH came back at 5.28 ulU/ml. My question is should I be asking my doc to put me on Cytomel, and can one take it with Armour Thyroid?

Thank you.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    I looked up Cytomel and the source said that it is a synthetic T3.

If that is the case, I would not get near it.

I would only use natural T3, aka "bio-identical." mine comes from a compound pharmacy and insurance won't cover it, but my health is more important to me than insurance rules.

If I had an endo that insisted on synthetic thyroid hormones, T4 or T3, I would switch doctors.

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    DFH, how much is your script? Trying to get an idea of what to expect as I'm sure my insurance won't pay for mine either.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Emmie, If you ever have to switch to the generic you can tell your pharmacy that you always want it from the same pharmaceutical company. I found this out when I moved and couldn't get Unithroid. I knew Lannette generic was Unithroid so I made sure my pharmacy only gives me the generic from Lannette.

I wont try the generic Cytomel either. Luckily my insurance still covers it.

Tee, do you have any results for free T4 and free T3? Going by by your TSH, you need more meds. Without free T4 and free T3 it's impossible to tell what hormone needs to be increased.

DFH, many of us do well with synthetics. Thyroid hormone regulation is not a one size fits all.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebike View Post
    DFH, how much is your script? Trying to get an idea of what to expect as I'm sure my insurance won't pay for mine either.
    I would have to dig up a receipt. The natural T3 is not super expensive. It's cheaper than my supplements, maybe $30-40 a month, but not positive about that.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast