Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epic Fail on PB program within 2 weeks. Need some help! page

JoeR is offline Junior Member

Epic Fail on PB program within 2 weeks. Need some help!

Primal Fuel
    Okay, completely fell off the wagon as it were. There just doesn't seem to be anywhere you can get something to eat in this city that doesn't have processed foods or carbs (bread, rice etc.) as the basis for every meal, and shopping at Whole Foods (they should call it Whole Paycheck) is cleaning out my bank account.
    Any suggestions on how to brown bag PB that's sustainable?
    Thanks...

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    Shop the 'outside' of any grocery store - meats, veggies (dairy if you eat it). Do you have access to a microwave? If so you can pack dinner leftovers.
    Otherwise:
    deviled eggs
    nuts
    string cheese or babybel
    organic (sugar-free) peanut butter or cream cheese on celery
    beef jerky

Or, you can have a big morning meal before you leave the house and IF until you get home I haven't tried this but I think lots of folks here just do 2 meals a day...

lesliek is offline Member
    My favorite lunch is a hardboiled egg, some cold "lunch meat" (turkey or ham are favorites), cheese, and almonds. I come out under $5 getting high quality ingredients. I also bring leftovers from dinner (roast beef and veggies, soup, chicken wings, etc.). I went to a coop's deli today and got a salad and cup of soup. It was good, but cost more than twice as much as my lunches from home.

darienx19 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikkiB View Post
    Or, you can have a big morning meal before you leave the house and IF until you get home I haven't tried this but I think lots of folks here just do 2 meals a day...
    I became one of those folks. The trick (I've found) is to have a larger fat intake in the morning (unless you're IF'ing bfast too), and low to no carbs. I'll cook up 4 or 5 pieces of bacon. Once the bacon is almost done to my liking, I'll push it to the side and crack 2 or 3 eggs into the fat in the pan. When thats done, I plate the eggs and bacon and pour the remaining fat over it all. It's extra satisfying and keeps me sated til dinnertime.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    Lunches from home are the best by far. But, it's not always possible to make enough at suppertime to ensure leftovers the next day. For me, one of the best things I ever did was buy a small fridge for my office. Before that, I kept food in the office kitchen fridge, but I ended up getting lots of stuff thrown out by the cleaning staff.

Besides leftovers, some things that work for me are:
    - Using heavy cream in beverages to stave off hunger. I can often go all day without eating because of doing this.
    - Keeping a can of coconut cream in my fridge, and measuring it out 1/2 a cup at a time. Very satiating and delicious.
    - Bringing a bagful of hard boiled eggs to work on Monday and eating them throughout the week.
    - Keeping homemade beef smoked sausage at work to portion out 2 oz at a time.
    - Always having a jar of dill pickles handy for snack attacks.
    - Making sure there's a bar of 85% chocolate accessible.
    - Leaving cheese in my fridge at work so it's easy to cut off an ounce in a hurry.
    - Making sauerkraut at home and keeping a jarful in my work fridge all the time.

TriCiCi is offline Senior Member
    I make big one pot meals like chili, stirfry, or stew and parse it out into containers. Then in the morning I just grab and go. I always bring my lunch and it saves me tons of money.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    I usually cook 2x a week and eat that stuff for breakfast/lunches during the week. Leftovers will work, too, but usually I'll sautee up mixed veggies, grill some chicken, make one meat dish (roast, pulled pork, chili, etc), and cook some eggs and bacon. Then I tupperware up breakfast and lunch and tote to work. We do have a fridge, but you have to be careful because the cleaning people like to throw everything away. Even butter and condiments! You could also pack in a playmate with ice packs to last if you don't have access to a fridge. Although you'd need a micro for the foods I suggested.

No microwave? Id say pack a BAS and some dressing. Eat a big breakfast like mentioned above with fat and that should do you until you get home. Once you get out of the habit of eating out, it's so much nicer! Cheaper, and better food. Plus more time to chill without having to run out for food!
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Do you have fridge access? If so BAS is an awesome lunch! I just pack everything into it's own container (greens in one, tomatoes in another, other veg, nuts, etc) and the dressing seperately, then assemble right before eating. Yum!

If not, hardboiled eggs do not need to be refridgerated which is why they always come in granny picnic basket! lol I personally love cold bacon, so that would be something I would scarf.

I also love lettuce wraps instead of sandwiches. Think of your fave sandwich and then assemble into a couple peices of lettuce, roll and enjoy. My faves are shrimp with salsa, avacado and sourcream and some grated cheese, egg salad, and chicken salad.

Shine is offline Member
    Another vote for hardboiled eggs as a perfect portable and affordable lunch. I try to eat fat with the eggs, so I'll usually include an avocado on the side (also very portable if left unpeeled) or maybe a salad of greens and lots of olive oil.

Suki is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
    Okay, completely fell off the wagon as it were. There just doesn't seem to be anywhere you can get something to eat in this city that doesn't have processed foods or carbs (bread, rice etc.) as the basis for every meal, and shopping at Whole Foods (they should call it Whole Paycheck) is cleaning out my bank account.
    Any suggestions on how to brown bag PB that's sustainable?
    Thanks...
    We live in the same city and I've been doing this for 6 years. And I never shop at Whole Foods (Fairway is cheaper and better). You just need to plan your meals and stop with the habitual eating out. It's you, not New York.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast