Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Laxatives and Constipation page 2

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    You might want to re-populate your gut flora. I recently started taking probiotic and for the first time in a very long while things are moving considerably smoother.
    I'm not sure how that works with IBS, but are you eating fermented foods?
    In my not so distant past I was no stranger to laxatives and psyllium powders either.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Gut Sense is a site. The book is "Fiber Menace". I think you can get it on Amazon.

DO NOT STRAIN.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

14emom is offline Member
    Gut Sense is the website, the book you would be looking for is called Fiber Menace, sorry I didn't clarify.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Sorry JennGob, I'm of that age that don't use those things. I'm lucky I'm computer literate. We don't even have a cell phone. We still use land lines. My husband is not computer literate at all.
    I love books, the feel of them, the covers and pages. And I collect them.
    However, if there is no other way, I guess I'll buy a Kindle.

The Gut Sense site says the book "Gut Sense" will be available soon. I guess a lot of us were confused. Will "Fiber Menace" tell me what to do to cure this?

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    You can get Kindle for computer if you don't mind reading on your computer: Amazon.com: Kindle for PC - Read Kindle eBooks on your PC

I never had a serious problem but I do find magnesium and vitamin C helps. My husband has a serious problem due to Parkinson's disease and uses Miralax, which is supposed to be the safest for long term use. You might try that at least as an intermediate step.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamsc View Post
    You can get Kindle for computer if you don't mind reading on your computer: Amazon.com: Kindle for PC - Read Kindle eBooks on your PC

I never had a serious problem but I do find magnesium and vitamin C helps. My husband has a serious problem due to Parkinson's disease and uses Miralax, which is supposed to be the safest for long term use. You might try that at least as an intermediate step.
    MiraLax has just been put on the "Caution" list by the FDA. A side effect is IBS. But the G.I. doctors love it, but I don't. It doesn't work well for me.

My goal is to be healthy and to get completely off laxatives.

I've been taking a probiotic for about 3 weeks now. And this week I've started taking Mark's. Should I get some Oxy-powder to clean out my gut, of take a lot more of Mark's than 1 a day?

Please help!

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    MiraLax has just been put on the "Caution" list by the FDA. A side effect is IBS. But the G.I. doctors love it, but I don't. It doesn't work well for me.

My goal is to be healthy and to get completely off laxatives.
    Discouraging about MiraLax--the pharmacist who recommended it for my husband spoke so convincingly about how her son had used it for years. But my husband isn't willing to try any alternatives anyway.

You've got a great goal and a lot of knowledge. It must be frustrating to experiment when you know the process will be slow so it is hard to know how well an experiment is working.

If you are game for some home culturing, you might try making Kefir at home (ideally with raw milk, if you are comfortable with it and have it available). That gives you a wider range of probiotics than supplements. I got my starter from Cultures for Health. If supplements are your choice, I would recommend buying another one with different ingredients and take one of each each day to try to increase diversity in your gut.
    Last edited by Pamsc; 01-18-2013 at 05:19 PM.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    PrimalCon New York
    You don't need to "clean" your gut.

Read the website "Gut Sense". It has almost all the information that you need.

Amazon.com: Fiber Menace: The Truth About the Leading Role of Fiber in Diet Failure, Constipation, Hemorrhoids, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn's Disease, and Colon Cancer (9780970679642): Konstantin Monastyrsky: Books
    Here is a link to the book. You can purchase a physical copy on Amazon.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast