Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sprint question page

RezH is offline Senior Member

Sprint question

Shop Now
    I just started sprinting the last 2-3 weeks, and just got done with a sprint session. I know individuals vary, but what should I be working up to? They say 10-20 minutes or so, but I would think this depends on the length of your sprints and rest time between. Sprinted the length of a soccer field seven times with walks in between today.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    That's pretty much what I do. Soccer field sprints times 6 to 8. I walk back to the starting side and take maybe a minute more depending on how burnt I feel. I like to give it close to 100% intensity for each sprint.
    I grok, therefore I am.

bruce.b is offline Member
    Funny, but I often do the exact same sprint workout. I rest just enough to let my HR come down to the point where I can do another max effort. I mix it up, but this is a common sprint workout for me. I usually do some burpees too, either mixed in or before or after the sprints. The burpees are the ones with pushups at the bottom and a jump at the top. I'd like to try the pullup version sometime too but I don't have a bar outside.
    Hmmm, I could do them next to my rope and try doing a rope pullup at the top. That would be a much better grip workout than a bar.

bruce b.

lifewithjades is offline Senior Member
    Good question. I just started sprints today- this is totally new for me. I just sprinted all-out for 20 seconds, followed by 60 seconds walking- repeated 6 times. Is this right?

I was actually tired at the end and now even feel sore- but it just seems to easy to be true?

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    A little OT but I've been doing Tabata protocol bike sprints for a while now and yesterday for the first time I attempted running.... after the first 2-3 sets I wasn't even sprinting anymore, just running..... they're a lot easier on the bike!!

bruce.b is offline Member
    They're not Tabata protocol if they're a lot easier on the bike. Max effort is max effort. I do them on a bike and I'm a highly trained cyclist and they make me want to hurl every time.

20 seconds in general is too long for sprinting as you'll be slowing down even on the first one in the latter part of the sprint. Not that it's bad to do that sometimes.

bruce b.

primalclubber is offline Senior Member
    I do 40-60 yd sprints x10-12 with a jog back to the start.

ChrisJ is offline Member
    I sprint about 50m (165 feet) and uphill, not sure how many seconds that takes, I will time myself next time!

Edit: Generally about ten of these sprints, walking or slow jogging back depending on how i'm feeling - I always wait until I can sprint at my max again.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...dd3297a8e0d5a0
    This is where I run - beautiful place!
    I do it barefoot, and often do pushup sets and other exercises at the top / bottom.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Bruce.B: Oh don't get me wrong, they're still hard on the bike but they were significantly more brutal while running.... then again it was a while since I actually did a running exercise - it tends to wonk up my hips so I try not to do it too often.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    I do mine on a soccer field (approximately 100 meters) and the sprint generally lasts anywhere from 12 to 15 seconds. Walk back, rest until near recovery, and then repeat anywhere from 6 to 8 times (working on getting to 10 in a few weeks). My last sprint I'll almost always get to the end of one side do a 180 and then full out to the other side (which is more like a brisk run at this point!). Brutal everytime and definitely not easy. If you're going at 100% intensity every single time you should be feeling it for quite some time after.
    I grok, therefore I am.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast