Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are you a sugaraholic? page 2

Karyn is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I consider myself a sugar addict. Though it has been better since doing the Whole 30.

otzi Guest
    Sugarholism was first discovered in the 60's...be strong!

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    The only time I felt as though I was becoming a sugar addict was when I tried elminating it almost completely. Now that I don't, it's just another taste sensation I enjoy like bitterness, sourness, saltiness etc. I'd imagine if I ever tried to restrict salt or fat I'd have the same experience.

kinglee1984 is offline Junior Member
    Yeah oh my god do I love sugar and everything that contains it!! After 3 weeks of eating clean I broke the other night and put a ton of junk away, back to clean eating now, not gonna put myself in temptations way for as long as I can again!

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    I'm a total sugar addict. I've yet to go more than 4 days on a strict no added sugar diet . . . even though I know I should. But that just shows the depth of my addiction. Hoping a Whole 30 will help, but I cheated on my 21 Day Sugar Detox, so who knows. 4 days seems to be about my limit. (Granted I cheated with dark chocolate - so not terrible in the grand scheme of things)
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I'm definitely a sugar addict. Like all addictions, it is not something that will go away. I have to be careful not to trigger those urges. But it is much, much easier since going primal.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

“I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.” - Henry David Thoreau, Walden

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member
    @gadsie: That's actually quite a lot of sugar along with whatever else you might be eating. For me it would be a very definite sugar binge. Most of the bananas in my market are the large 8" or longer size, which is 30g or more of sugar, so for 10 a whopping 300g of sugar.
    Last edited by SugarBaby; 01-23-2013 at 01:02 PM.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

@forgotmylastusername: No denying the impact of restricting or eliminating a food, which can make it seem more desirable. Of course not everyone needs to, anymore than all people need to stop drinking alcohol, but some of us find it hard to stop with the sugar/carbs and have no other recourse.
    Last edited by SugarBaby; 01-23-2013 at 01:03 PM.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

@kinglee1984: Addicts know the road to bingeing is paved with "I'll just have this one" which turns into several days of over indulgence. I like to plan for indulgences that are safe, and satisfying, but don't lead me to binges.
    Last edited by SugarBaby; 01-23-2013 at 01:04 PM.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

PrimalCon New York
    All sugar is tricky since starches and high sugar fruits are also sugar in the body, and can be the cause of a cheats. Perhaps you don't need to go strictly off all sugars, and can find a way to have a safe dessert now and then, like dark chocolate bark. I make my own with 99% Lindt which I melt, pour into a glass dish, top with chopped almonds or macadamias, and sprinkle with coarse sea salt. I make that my lunch time dessert occasionally. Can't have at night since it keeps me awake.

To be clear some people, especially younger people, especially males, have a far higher tolerance for sugar/starch than do women and especially menopausal women. The point is, if you crave sugars/starches and are already overweight, you do have a sugar problem. Taubes et al, have made that clear.
    Last edited by SugarBaby; 01-23-2013 at 01:07 PM.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast