Thread: Newbie questions on protein and fat intake. page

Flitty is offline Junior Member

Newbie questions on protein and fat intake.

Hi there,

I am in my first week of transitioning to Primal, and I'm loving it so far! I never knew what it was like to feel satisfied after eating without feeling stuffed and bloated! I've had no problems restricting my carbs, and no symptoms of carb flu save a mild headache. I'm 4 days in. I lost 60lbs last year on a standard calorie restricted diet, but i never felt healthy. I have since out 28lbs back on. Im hoping primal will allow me to lose weight and feel healthy with it.

I have a few questions regarding my fat and protein intake.

According to my LBM, I should be eating 64g of protein per day. I'm aiming to keep my carbs between 50 and 80g, as I'm aiming to lose fat. As I understand it, I should eat more fat than protein, and this is where I'm struggling. I've planned my menu for the week, and on 5 days out of 7, my protein intake in grams is equal to or higher than my fat intake in grams. In percentages, it averages out to 17% carbs, 56% fat and 27% protein, though the fat is as high as 63% on one day.

Can anyone advise me if this is ok, or if I should up my fat intake? If so, how? You can see my food diary and planned menu on MyFitnessPal if you think it would help to know what I was eating. My user name is FlittyGetsFit.

Many thanks.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Don't look at grams, look at calories. Or don't look at all. But a gram of fat is ~9 kCal/gram, while the other 2 macronutrients are ~4.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Check out our eat moar fat thread We can help you over there.
    But def more fat than protein.

Flitty is offline Junior Member
    Thank you, I shall read it now

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Maybe post your stats at the end first so we can help you work out your macros. Goal weight in kg is one