Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Cal snack / Breakfast page

Tally is offline Junior Member

Low Cal snack / Breakfast

Quite new at the Paleo stuff... and am struggling with finding "on the go" food you can eat with your fingers that I could eat for breakfast (in the car ) or as snack at work.

I seem to eat mainly walnuts and sadly this means my calorie intake is above 2,000 every day and not losing weight / girth whatsoever... Can someone suggest something that does not involve a carrot or an avocado ?

I look forward to reading your answers and appreciate all your help !

Tally

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    You will find eventually you won't really need to snack.
    Boiled eggs are a quick and easy meal. Def try to cut the nuts.

It is quick to scramble some eggs in butter in the morning though. Do you have to leave super early?
    Cold meat leftover from the night before is also good and easy.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally View Post
    Can someone suggest something that does not involve a carrot or an avocado ?
    As above, hard boiled eggs. How about roast chicken thighs although you'd need to wipe your fingers. Beef jerky or even pre cooked bacon would suit me too. Snack at work could be a tin of mackerel/salmon/herring. Although many here would poopoo the idea, a hunk of cheese can be tasty.

I suggest you think about primal foods you like that can be finger food. You're the one who knows you best after all.

Mind you, you specified low calorie, and we're into celery country there. I hope you get many useful replies.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    I blend up a smoothie of sorts. The good thing about it is it is fast, portable, and flexible. You put in what you want according to what macros you need. Mine is usually some unsweetened milk (almond and or coconut) some eggs or whey, a bit of stevia. To this base you could add a handful of greens or yogurt, or a few berries, whatever. Then put the whole thing in a travel mug, put a drop of soap and some water in the blender and give it a whirl then rinse and off ya go.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    I love the chicken thighs idea. I did this all summer when they would go on sale. BBQ up a huge batch and keep them in the fridge for snacks.

RandyStimpson is offline Member

Smile

I love thighs too (wink) but for a snack I like to do 3-4 tablespoons of sunflower seeds so I can check off my daily vitamin E requirement.

LowCarbMaster is offline Junior Member
    You can try my bacon cream jalapeno's. I think they are brilliant snacks. Try the deli roll ups. They're great and simple as well.

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    I tend to snack on apples these days if I feel the need. But as has been said you won't need to once you get into it. If I can't find anything to eat while I'm out I just wait till I get home. You need to kick the habits that have been drilled into you regarding meal times..there is no such thing
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    Another thing you can do is mix up Protein shakes in the morning. Mixed with full fat Milk they last me well into the afternoon if I have one for breakfast. Yes I drink Milk..love it
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

Tally is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you all for the replies and apologies for not visiting you more often.

I think the egg / cold meat idea is interesting / strange to me as in the past I always thought of snack as sweet rather than savoury and a bowl of cereals used to be my "healthy" alternative... LOL
    Also, the idea of an afternoon snack is maybe one I need to kick - maybe more of a habit than something I need !

For breakfast, I think I'm going to try the smoothies (works well with my long car drive). I find if I only put fruits/berries in, I tend to get quite hungry quite quickly (no fat / no protein so not surprising). Besides adding an egg (not sold on the idea yet), where do you get protein shakes that would be acceptable from a Paleo pov (low sugar / starch etc...) ?
    I do use full fat goat milk for cooking (it's my own goat so 100% organic)

Really appreciate having the Forum ! Many thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast