Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Extreme Dry Eyes page 3

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    One thing I've noticed about Primal is that I don't get that little crusty stuff in the corners of my eyes in the morning. Perhaps excess carbs cause excess mucous causing crusty stuff. Who knows?

But if one can completely stop eating anything, total water fast for days or even weeks on end and still have perfectly normal eyes, it still doesn't seem like this is even a carb issue, but then some people want to make everything a carb issue.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    One thing I've noticed about Primal is that I don't get that little crusty stuff in the corners of my eyes in the morning. Perhaps excess carbs cause excess mucous causing crusty stuff. Who knows?

But if one can completely stop eating anything, total water fast for days or even weeks on end and still have perfectly normal eyes, it still doesn't seem like this is even a carb issue, but then some people want to make everything a carb issue.
    This.

I eat HFLC.
    I'm also on a very high strength diuretic for medical reasons. It CAN cause dry eyes issues, along with other mucous membrane dryness issues.
    I do NOT have dry eye. Nor any other dry mucous membranes.

If low carb caused dry eye, then surely I would have it since I also take a medication known to cause it in conjunction with "LC causing" it. Essentially I should be getting a double whammy if that thinking were true...
    I'm not.

There is no actual proof that LC causes dry eye.
    Just one guy whose eyes felt dry, who decided to blame it, who also happens to be a guru...

Look into actual reasons please instead of buying into these ridiculous assertions.
    Dry eyes: Causes - MayoClinic.com

Not saying you have to stay LC either...
    What ever you feel like.

I just think it's not the best idea to take the whole "my eyes were dry and this is what I think caused it" as FACT just because a dude you like says it (Jaminet).
    Often when people change their diets they become hyper aware, watching and waiting for any sign of change from their body and attributing it to a specific thing in their diet whether that is correct or not... it's over-reaching and annoying when others quote it as fact later.
    Last edited by cori93437; 01-18-2013 at 07:17 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member

So if excess glucose cause excess mucous it could go the other way - low glucose cause low mucous and dry eyes. Need to find the correct balance of glucose for yourself to maintain correct amount of mucous. Or it may not have anything to do with it.
    Last edited by Sue; 01-18-2013 at 07:55 PM.

Matt is offline Member
    Thanks for all the comments guys.

I've just bought the Perfect Health Diet book, and for anyone else suffering from severe dry eyes it should be noted that this book has the solution you seek. I'm on day 8 of "safe starches" in my diet, and although I still have red eyes, the sand/grittiness is gone. I have hope that the redness will subside in the next few days.

Not going to debate the LC issue as I see benefits on both sides, but if you are reading this to find a potential solution to your own dry eye problems, give the safe starches a try.

momrn is offline Member
    Sometimes it isn't a lack of tears at all, but a dysfunction of the oil glands that help prevent the tears from evaporating. They are called meibomian glands and they line your eyelids. They sometimes don't make enough oil and sometimes just get clogged. You can start a routine of eye hygiene followed by any number of OTC eye drops made for this particular issue. There is an Rxfor it as well, but it is very exspensive. The eye hygiene is simple and needs to be done morning and evening. If done consistantly, you should be able to go longer times without the need for the drops.

You can begin this protocol at home and if you get no relief, follow up with an opthamologist to determine the cause of the dryness. MGD is pretty common, even though most people aren't familiar with it. Tears are more complex that just salty water, and there can be multiple causes beyond lack of "tears."

Good luck! Dry eyes are miserable and make life very unpleasant.

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I've just bought the Perfect Health Diet book, and for anyone else suffering from severe dry eyes it should be noted that this book has the solution you seek. I'm on day 8 of "safe starches" in my diet, and although I still have red eyes, the sand/grittiness is gone. I have hope that the redness will subside in the next few days.
    I can confirm this. Very low carb worked well for me initially, but as I get very close to my goal weight and leanness, I find these safe starches really help me feeling healthy and full. No more dizziness when getting up, no more dry eyes. I think the PHD way of eating will turn out to be the most "balanced" approach for most people.

Matt is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingPig View Post
    I can confirm this. Very low carb worked well for me initially, but as I get very close to my goal weight and leanness, I find these safe starches really help me feeling healthy and full. No more dizziness when getting up, no more dry eyes. I think the PHD way of eating will turn out to be the most "balanced" approach for most people.
    I agree, and I am experiencing the same thing myself.

14emom is offline Member
    It's funny, I read this post a while ago and just came back to it today because I have dry eyes when I first wake up. This is uncharacteristic for me. I have been eating pretty low carb, always under 100 grams, but usually under 60. I am going to check into this connection with VLC and dry eyes. Thanks!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    The reverse is also true though Paleobird - some people want to deny that anything could possibly be related to low carb intake. Because it "works for them".

Additionally, I think all the carb wars (I think we would both say "yawn") have made people defensive and liable to perceive anything as an attack on their way of eating.

OP, glad the safe starches seem to be working! Keep finding the foods that work for you.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast