Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Extreme Dry Eyes page 2

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Hmm I don't buy it.
    Seriously give it more time, its only been a week
    Over 150 g is too high on Marks Carb curve.
    Too high for what?! Mark's carb curve is a load of nonsense. I can buy that every individual may find a different sweet spot on that "carb curve", but as a prescription for weight loss it's beyond simplistic. For one thing, little me and an average height man will experience 150g carbs very differently. For another, my carbs have been every where between 75-200g/day with no noticeable effect on weight loss.

I don't know about low carbs and dry eyes, but if the OP is mindful of total consumption, he can play around with carbs and not doom himself to permanent fatness. Just stay primal, stay on top of weight or waist measurement or whatever measure makes him happy, and see how it goes. If higher carb doesn't give him the relief he wants, then he can look at more complicated solutions.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Matt is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    I don't know about low carbs and dry eyes, but if the OP is mindful of total consumption, he can play around with carbs and not doom himself to permanent fatness. Just stay primal, stay on top of weight or waist measurement or whatever measure makes him happy, and see how it goes. If higher carb doesn't give him the relief he wants, then he can look at more complicated solutions.
    This was kind of my thoughts. When I made the move to 75-100g of carbs I still lost the same amount of weight in the week (2 pounds). In a perfect world, I'd find the right level of carbs to keep my eyes happy (assuming LC is what is causing my problems) and still be able to drop weight. I think I will try jumping up to 100-125 and see what happens.

If anyone else has experience with this issue I'd love to hear how you fixed it, and if it was indeed through a higher carb level, what amount you settled on.

Cheers,

Matt

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Gee Ayla, you are so caught up in low carbing as the bees knees that you can't even entertain the possibility that low carbing may some how lead to dry eyes.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    Gee Ayla, you are so caught up in low carbing as the bees knees that you can't even entertain the possibility that low carbing may some how lead to dry eyes.
    I have no problem with whatever level of carbs a person chooses to eat but the connection between dry eyes and ANY carb level, low or high, just doesn't pass the sniff test, IMO. I just don't see any mechanism by which they could possibly be related.

Lots of things can and do cause dry eyes. Low/high carbs? I don't think so.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    the connection between dry eyes and ANY carb level, low or high, just doesn't pass the sniff test, IMO. I just don't see any mechanism by which they could possibly be related..
    As a hypothesis - maybe cos' carbs make your body retain water?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    As a hypothesis - maybe cos' carbs make your body retain water?
    But then your tissues should be better hydrated with higher carb not lower.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    But then your tissues should be better hydrated with higher carb not lower.
    I don't know if lower carb = better hydration. A lot of people seem improvements in their skin on Primal, but I would think that's due to the increase in saturated fat and the elimination of wheat.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    I have really dry eyes, too, and read that vitamn C can help with dry eyes. I am trying this route to see if it helps.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    I have really dry eyes, too, and read that vitamn C can help with dry eyes. I am trying this route to see if it helps.
    This is a very reasonable suggestion. There could be lots of nutrient deficiencies that could cause this. There are also environmental factors such as food allergies, pollen allergies, toxins such as mold in the heating vents, etc. that could be contributing factors.

Carbs (one way or the other) just don't seem to be that relevant.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Paul Jaminet talks about the glucose-mucous connection and dry eyes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast