Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Signs of Ketosis? page

FireFinder is offline Senior Member

Signs of Ketosis?

Primal Fuel
    Other than the urine stix (which don't seem to change colors for me even if I'm eating under 20g carb/day) is there any other way to determine if one is in ketosis? I know I feel good keeping carbs low, but I'm just sorta curious just how low puts me into/keeps me in ketosis...

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    For some the ketostix don't work at all, even when in ketosis.
    I know I am in ketosis, when I have so much energy I feel like I am high.
    There are other signs like metallic taste in mouth or strong smelling wee, but every one is different.

There is something I read too, about too much protein pushing you out of ketosis, you will have to search on here to find the links though.

kbn1 is offline Senior Member
    I feel a kind of slight body buzz. Hard to describe, but I've noticed other folks have mentioned it before. I particularly feel it between the shoulder blades. It is a good feeling.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    The biggest two indicators of ketosis: absolutely horrible breath and pee that smells like ammonia. I spent 2 months in ketosis and had to carry gum everywhere I went because people were grossed out by "keto breath." Also, every pee smelled like I just spent hours at an all-you-can-eat asparagus buffet.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Zach is offline Banned
    That high feeling is usually stress hormones. If you are in ketosis, you will know because you will feel amazing and energetic for a short while and then hit a brick wall and binge on sugar for the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    That high feeling is usually stress hormones. If you are in ketosis, you will know because you will feel amazing and energetic for a short while and then hit a brick wall and binge on sugar for the next few days.
    Oh for gods sake, really? short while? 3 weeks? This is bullshit. Its NOT THE SAME FOR EVERYONE!!!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Oh for gods sake, really? short while? 3 weeks? This is bullshit. Its NOT THE SAME FOR EVERYONE!!!
    It is if you do any kind of physical activity at all. I would pop out of ketosis for a carbohydrate refeed on Saturday and Sunday. I'd be able to make it through a basic workout on Monday and Tuesday and feel okay, but come mid-week exerting any kind of effort was incredibly difficult. Getting my heart rate above 60% was challenging. It was like my muscles didn't want to walk and I'd hit walls so fast. Hence it was only a 2 month experiment. I don't see anyone attaining any kind of respectable physical conditioning in ketosis.

Stress hormones are a reality as well. Gluconeogenesis is a highly stressful situation to keep your body in at all times. Ketones are only supplemental. The brain runs primarily on glucose, even on ketosis. That high feeling very well could be elevated levels of adrenaline and cortisol in your body as your muscle tissues break down into glucose and unsaturated fats leak out of your tissue into your body. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get your adrenaline, cortisol and serotonin levels checked pre-ketosis dieting to see how the hormones adjust.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 01-17-2013 at 08:19 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

I was very low carb while doing CrossFit for 5 months last year, and NEVER EVER had a problem. I was doing it 5 days a week.
    I am not currently doing as much exercise as that, but still pretty active, IE running after 2 small children every day. Also walking 5 km every day, at a decent speed.
    That is for you, I am not you.

I don't think you get much more strenuous than CF.

PrimalCon New York
    Why can't you accept that lots of people do really well on HFLC? I accept that a small amount of people do not. And that is sucky for them.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast