Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Signs of Ketosis? page 8

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    There are 2 primary ketones produced by the body - acetoacetate (AcAc) and beta-hydroxybutyrate (B-OHB). Ketostix measure AcAc and blood meters (which use different, more expensive strips than those used for blood glucose testing) measure B-OHB. The brain and (after an adaptation period of 2-3 weeks in most people) the muscles run on B-OHB and the body adapts to optimizing B-OHB production vice AcAc. That's why the Ketostix are a good measure early on (during the adaptation process) and not so indicative the longer you're in ketosis.

Much more info here (and better than anything I just said):

Ketosis

Ketosis

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    As far as symptoms go, I spent over a year in nutritional ketosis (2011-'12), and I didn't have a single symptom. The only way I knew I was in ketosis, is that I made sure I ate no more than 50g. of carbs a day. For most people that's the ketosis threshold.

Rosemary 231 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    As far as symptoms go, I spent over a year in nutritional ketosis (2011-'12), and I didn't have a single symptom. The only way I knew I was in ketosis, is that I made sure I ate no more than 50g. of carbs a day. For most people that's the ketosis threshold.
    I'm quite sure I've been at 20g or less for the last 2 years so I suppose I must be in ketosis too.

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Staying under 50 grams per day is not a guarantee, especially if you are eating plenty of protein. More protein than necessary can kick you out of ketosis. The blood testing is the best way to know for sure. I'm going to order one.. I've been eating about 30-35 "net" carbs per day.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annlee View Post
    There are 2 primary ketones produced by the body - acetoacetate (AcAc) and beta-hydroxybutyrate (B-OHB). Ketostix measure AcAc and blood meters (which use different, more expensive strips than those used for blood glucose testing) measure B-OHB. The brain and (after an adaptation period of 2-3 weeks in most people) the muscles run on B-OHB and the body adapts to optimizing B-OHB production vice AcAc. That's why the Ketostix are a good measure early on (during the adaptation process) and not so indicative the longer you're in ketosis.

Much more info here (and better than anything I just said):

Ketosis

Ketosis
    Great articles. Looking forward to when all 4 parts are done so I can just link that for any future questions on ketosis

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    Is the blood monitor the same device diabetics use to test themselves at home? We have one of those that another member of the family uses. This February I will have been Primal 2 years. I've lost 115 lbs so I just figured I might be in Ketosis. I used the test strips and they don't register even as dark as the lowest color on the scale.
    It's the same monitor (but it has to specify that it tests both bg and ketones, not all do) but you need different test strips. They are rather pricey.

zilog is offline Senior Member
    LOL....good point OP: will somebody please answer this fellas question now?

I would actually just assume that if you have kept carbs bellow 50g for more than 3 days you are in ketosis, but I will leave a more nuanced answer to those who actually measure for it.
    I was under 50g for 4 days and when I tested with ketostix it was positive. Stayed in ketosis for about 2 weeks and never got any of the "normal" signs (metallic taste in mouth, strong smelling breath/urine). FWIW Volek/Phinney recommend blood testing as the only accurate method. I've not tried that but I found the ketostix quite variable with their readings which I am putting down to hydration level (although I've not tested this scientifically!)

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    It's the same monitor (but it has to specify that it tests both bg and ketones, not all do) but you need different test strips. They are rather pricey.
    Rosemary and Karin Here is your answer about the blood ketone monitor. The test strips average $5.00 each. I am going to go check my Mom's blood sugar monitors to see if any of them have the ketone feature. If not, I'll probably order one and test once a week to keep costs down.

Blood ketone testing shows different levels of ketosis and might be useful for those trying to reach deep nutritional ketosis for whatever reason.

Rosemary 231 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Rosemary and Karin Here is your answer about the blood ketone monitor. The test strips average $5.00 each. I am going to go check my Mom's blood sugar monitors to see if any of them have the ketone feature. If not, I'll probably order one and test once a week to keep costs down.

Blood ketone testing shows different levels of ketosis and might be useful for those trying to reach deep nutritional ketosis for whatever reason.
    Thanks for the information. I want to have a look at the monitor we have here at the house. It might still be worth the price of the test strips to be able to check them just every once in awhile.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678